Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: Who Done It?

Skyfall

When this show started, I wasn't very invested in the whodunnit aspect, but now I want to know what happened that night. Was it as simple as Trey and Georgie raping her and killing her, maybe even accidentally, and then using a stoned Daniel, who probably just wandered onto the scene, as a convenient patsy to take the fall? DId they convince him he'd done it and then left the scene?

Do I remember correctly that they claimed to have found Daniel sitting with Hannah's body? That's what they testified to, if I remember right. If so, why was their DNA never tested against the semen samples?

Seems like Policework 101 to have tested those two.

And why is the Senator so invested in having Daniel put back in prison? Is it just because he can't accept that he participated in sending an innocent kid to death row so he wants to believe D's guilty and therefore belongs in prison, or is there more to it, a coverup that he was fully aware of and/or participated in back when it all happened? Hell, did the Senator actually participate in the rape and murder?

Can I type any more questions into this post?

• Love 4

I've been wondering if Daniel doesn't say anything one way or the other because he legitimately doesn't know whether or not he killed her. Maybe he was so out of it that night that he can't remember what went down, and he resigned himself to prison because he thought there was a chance he could have done it, especially with the other boys saying he did (and wasn't he high on mushrooms when he confessed?).

I go back and forth on whether or not I think he did it. I don't think we know enough yet to really speculate.

• Love 2

I've been wondering if Daniel doesn't say anything one way or the other because he legitimately doesn't know whether or not he killed her. Maybe he was so out of it that night that he can't remember what went down, and he resigned himself to prison because he thought there was a chance he could have done it, especially with the other boys saying he did (and wasn't he high on mushrooms when he confessed?).

I think this is exactly right, Cranberry. And yes, I believe he was still pretty high when they coerced a confession out of him.

Should Daniel have killed her, even if it was accidentally, then it would be a gutsy move of the show. I'm not sure how I'd react to it though, because I have become so attached to Daniel as a character that it would really hurt my soul if he was indeed guilty.

I agree with you, nosleep.  I don't think Daniel is guilty but I have no reason to think that other than I like him and don't want him to be guilty.

• Love 1

It's really difficult to read the clues or even determine if there are clues since Daniel spent so many years in prison on death row.  All of his behavior and the behavior of his family make sense for a person who has returned from a couple of decades at death's door.  Janet is really sensitive to how people engage with Daniel, going so far to pick a fight with her husband for seemingly no reason.  Without death row, that would make me think that Janet is anxious about anyone upsetting Daniel for fear he might overreact.  But there's that death row thing so her wanting things to be perfect for him makes complete sense.  I just wonder if she reacted this way before.  Then there are people who see him as a bit strange, off somehow, but again, that death row thing where we expect him to behave this way.  The senator seems to think he had this sort of evil in him before it all, but this dude is trying to save his political career and can't really be trusted.  The cop seems a be more trustworthy since he's more about doing his job and doing it right and he's implied that he knows in his gut that Daniel did this.  Then we have Teddy Jr. who is thoroughly creeped out by Daniel and even sexually assaulted by him and yet he's been a jealous ass (which is understandable given circumstances) and he believes that the assault was because Daniel wanted to teach him something that he wasn't able to do by just talking to him.  There is little trust to be had with Amantha because Daniel confessed...something to her and she cut him off and continued on with campaigning her mission statement which is "my bro is innocent." And then there are those long guilty looks Daniel had when Kerwin was talking to him and saying he was going to get out because he's innocent but damn, those could have been because he felt guilty that Kerwin was never going to leave the prison alive since there were no doubts about his guilt.  

I probably lean more often towards Daniel having killed Hannah, but without intent.  Perhaps an accident or something out of anger because he didn't understand what was going on.  He said something to Jared last episode about that tape, the one where Hannah is saying "I love you, Daniel".  I can't remember the exact line, but it was something about things not being what they appear.  I can't help but wonder if Daniel came upon the scene and saw Hannah and the two men in compromising positions and didn't understand that she had been raped, instead thinking that Hannah was playing him for a fool and attacked her in a fit of passion.  

• Love 2

Isn't there a scene in season one where Daniel's "confession" tape is played? I don't remember how coherent it was, just that he had apparently covered her body with flowers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Isn't there a scene in season one where Daniel's "confession" tape is played? I don't remember how coherent it was, just that he had apparently covered her body with flowers.

It was the beginning of the season 1 finale, "Jacob's Ladder." Jon Stern is listening to the interrogation on his laptop, and the camera pans up Teddy passed out on the tire store floor.

What'd you do after you strangled her?

I, um, I went and got some flowers.

Some flowers?

Wildflowers, Jacob's ladder.

Come again?

It's a wildflower.

And then what did you do?

I, I put the flowers in her hair.

Was she naked?

Um, yeah, she was naked.

And how did she get unclothed?

Uh, I had taken her clothes off.

Before?

Yes, before.

You took her clothes off before—

Before I raped her.

What'd you do then, Daniel?

I sat with her.

You sat with her?

Yes, I sat with her and held her hand.

Why'd you hold her hand, son?

Didn't seem right to leave her alone.

Why not?

She seemed so real.

Real? What do you mean, "real?"

Alive.

Edited to add that in the next scene, someone blows up Janet & Ted's mailbox, and Carl (the cop) says, "If somebody wanted to do real damage, they would've, you know?"

Edited by editorgrrl

My money was on Trey but now I'm thinking Chris.

In this last episode, we learn from Pickens that Trey was told in the initial questioning that George said he saw Daniel rape Hannah.  Trey and George had been hanging out for most of that night, so Pickens thought if George saw something, then so did trey.

Yet Trey held fast and told Pickens that he didn't see Daniel do anything.  Pickens concluded that Trey was protecting Daniel.  So if Trey did it, that was his chance to add to the evidence against Daniel, but he didn't do that. 

We have two interesting statements:  Trey saying "Go ask Roger" and Bobby Dean saying "Trey went back."  Did Trey go back and see Chris strangle Hannah?  If he did, then why didn't he say something?  Did Chris's dad pay him off? 

• Love 1

IMO Trey seems like the most cold-blooded of the show's characters, so I think he's most capable of murder. He's still my prime suspect, TBH. But I also don't think that he's that likely to have gone into a murderous fit of passion and strangled Hannah to death -- precisely because he's so cold-blooded.

I think it's likely that Trey kept his mouth shut because he was promised some reward for his loyalty, or is even flat-out blackmailing whoever he might have seen kill Hannah. IMO that's the most likely reason he kept the scrunchie -- as a token of a promise or blackmail. That points to someone relatively "powerful" being the real culprit. Maybe Chris or maybe some adult.

Trey doesn't seem sentimental, so I doubt that he would keep the scrunchie just because it was Hannah's -- whether he killed her or not. I think he probably had a practical reason for it.

And I think he probably had a practical reason for not cooperating more with the police, too. He's been cooperating fine with them now, so I don't think he just has a general "F--- the Police" attitude.

IMO it's interesting that "Trey went back" was George's explanation for ending his visits with the Deans. George might have been saying that Trey did it, but how would that explain why George wasn't coming back to see Bobby anymore? I think that George was more likely saying that Trey was involved in some kind of coverup, and that he wasn't OK with George blowing that coverup by striking up a friendship with the Deans and talking to them all the time. I don't think that George necessarily even knew who Trey was covering for, though. That's another reason why I don't think George was telling Bobby that Trey had done it -- it seemed like George didn't know who killed Hannah even up to when he killed himself.

12 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I don't think that George necessarily even knew who Trey was covering for, though. That's another reason why I don't think George was telling Bobby that Trey had done it -- it seemed like George didn't know who killed Hannah even up to when he killed himself.

Yes to all of this. George didn't know who killed Hannah but he did bear tremendous guilt for testifying against Daniel, not mention he was a part of the rape for which he got off. When Trey and George first meet by the river in season 1 they ask the other if the other had killed her. I really believe George didn't know but Trey may know. Trey may be the killer but I'm not totally convinced yet.

• Love 2