Type keyword(s) to search

Restored - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Hmmmmm. Lots of criticism there for what I considered to be a wonderful house.

What is this forum for? Opinions & comments ! 

8 hours ago, Doublemint said:

I agree with ALL of this.  It's ok to critique things.  If it were my house, I would want it done a little differently.  I thought the same thing about cooking on that stove, and I've had old old stoves.   When you're on the floor with matches trying to light the broiler, it's not fun.   The woman in the episode doesn't look like she can deal with all of that, she likes the way it looks period.  They probably eat out a lot, that's why they don't want the breakfast nook.  

Thanks.  I’ve had old stoves too. Not fun. Yep, she will tire of it fast. Maybe she doesn’t cook! 

• Like 2

I wonder if these restored stoves have been upgraded with a few safety features like thermostats and electric ignition to meet today's building codes?  Anyone on this forum have knowledge of that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I wonder if these restored stoves have been upgraded with a few safety features like thermostats and electric ignition to meet today's building codes?  Anyone on this forum have knowledge of that?

I would think in California of all the states this would be true, but I don’t know. I do know that these old stoves have blown in the past. I know of two elderly family members that almost had a tragedy . 

Tonight's episode was very nice all around to me except the kitchen.   It's a modern expensive kitchen, but not what I would want.   I thought the original cast iron sink was to die for in front of the window.   I don't like a built in sink in a peninsula.  Didn't like the cabinets and hardware - too modern and generic.   The dining room was great for the home owners heritage and the entry was lovely.  Not sure what, if anything was done in the Chinese room and lodge.

• Like 1

I agree.  That kitchen felt both modern and dated (but not in a vintage way) at the same time.  I was impressed, though, by how Brett was able to bring the rooms with disparate geographical themes together through design.  It really did look good looking through the house from one end to the other. 

25 minutes ago, Doublemint said:

Not sure what, if anything was done in the Chinese room and lodge.

I don't know about the Chinese room but I remember them saying they weren't going to touch the lodge.  It was exactly as it was before but I guess they'll eventually bring in some games/TV and make it a big hangout place.

That was such a fascinating house.  It made me laugh to wonder if someone--way back in the day--probably thought it was extremely tacky.  And yet here they are, over a century later, trying to restore it to that tacky glory. 

But it was also kind of cool. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree.  That kitchen felt both modern and dated (but not in a vintage way) at the same time.  I was impressed, though, by how Brett was able to bring the rooms with disparate geographical themes together through design.  It really did look good looking through the house from one end to the other. 

I don't know about the Chinese room but I remember them saying they weren't going to touch the lodge.  It was exactly as it was before but I guess they'll eventually bring in some games/TV and make it a big hangout place.

That was such a fascinating house.  It made me laugh to wonder if someone--way back in the day--probably thought it was extremely tacky.  And yet here they are, over a century later, trying to restore it to that tacky glory. 

But it was also kind of cool. 

Yes, love everything you say.   the kitchen is modern and dated, you put that very well.  Tacky glory, love that phrase too.   I thought the outside was so bland with the all white, but it is a classic look too.

Those homeowners must have $$$$$.  They already have a house, and could afford to buy this one in addition to their present house, plus add another $250,000 for a renovation of just a couple of rooms, and not landscaping included in that budget.   I did not like the final kitchen configuration, but I'm not sure what else could have been done with it.  That's a huge house, and having the laundry on the 1st floor at the back of the house made me wonder why they didn't relocate it to the bedroom areas where dirty clothes are generated.  Would have been helpful to see a floor plan of the entire house.

I would not have installed a marble sink.  Marble stains if it's not sealed, and how can you possibly keep a kitchen sink from staining even if you seal it.  I liked the entrance foyer, and the colors that were used.  The house is interesting, and certainly has a cool history.       

• Like 4
10 hours ago, laredhead said:

Those homeowners must have $$$$$.  They already have a house, and could afford to buy this one in addition to their present house, plus add another $250,000 for a renovation of just a couple of rooms, and not landscaping included in that budget.   I did not like the final kitchen configuration, but I'm not sure what else could have been done with it.  That's a huge house, and having the laundry on the 1st floor at the back of the house made me wonder why they didn't relocate it to the bedroom areas where dirty clothes are generated.  Would have been helpful to see a floor plan of the entire house.

I would not have installed a marble sink.  Marble stains if it's not sealed, and how can you possibly keep a kitchen sink from staining even if you seal it.  I liked the entrance foyer, and the colors that were used.  The house is interesting, and certainly has a cool history.       

Agree.   I wanted to mention the marble sink and laundry room, but didn't want to get scolded again like last week for complaining.   And, yes, I though about that budget and the other house too.   Spot on @laredhead

• Like 1

We were thinking the same thing. But on a lot of these home shows, these people must have boat  loads of money and I don’t understand , is everybody a millionaire? What the hell did I do wrong?  But these two younger people with two homes in California.  I can’t even imagine the combined value. it’s really starting to make me more depressed. Holy ****! Did they think:  We just bought a home, a year later we saw this one & outbid everyone else of course & now we have two!! Yippee!! Ain’t money grand? 

I loved this house on the outside. The former owner ruined it with those fugly & out of place rooms. Why did Brett have anything to do with this home? I don’t know if the sink & the vintage tiled pantry were original but they were beautiful. I can’t believe he destroyed that pantry. The sink looked filthy.  This home would have been gorgeous if it was brought back to its former glory.  I loved the original back porch. I’m sure in a house that size he could have figured out another way to configure the bathroom. The new owners are as tasteless as the previous people that lived  there. This one just made me angry and sad.
and note producers of this and every other renovation show:  at least give us a quick look at the rest of the house. I think most of us want to see it. This is just frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, Doublemint said:

Agree.   I wanted to mention the marble sink and laundry room, but didn't want to get scolded again like last week for complaining.   And, yes, I though about that budget and the other house too.   Spot on @laredhead

Give any opinion you want that’s part of what these forums are for. I got called out for complaining also but you know what I say to that ? 🤣

• Hugs 1

OK - last night's episode:   Enjoyed it.  It was really over the top in a good way.  The budget was astonishingly large, you could buy a house in many areas with that budget.   Loved opening up the entry stairs, the mural and niche, also the tiles on the back of the steps.   As I looked at this couple, I can't imagine her working in the butler's pantry, or them sitting in the living room.  It's a room for entertaining, or talking - not watching TV or reading.  Didn't see reading lamps next to the couch (didn't like the couch - this time that's the only thing I didn't like. I wonder what the upstairs bedrooms, baths, etc looked like.  You would think they would have a whole house restoration with that budget.

(edited)

There was a Restored episode on last night that said it aired in December 2022.  It was new to me.  It was a Queen Anne style house, and the foyer, front parlor & main bedroom, and exterior siding and paint were the objects of the remodel.  There was a brief glimpse of the current floor plans which I paused a few times to see.  They said there was presently only 1 bathroom on the 2nd floor to be shared by 4 bedrooms, but the plans showed 2 bathrooms, and with the addition of the new one, that brings the total to 3.  A little confusing.  

The owners plan to renovate the kitchen in the future, and I hope that renovation makes it to the show.  

Edited by laredhead
Fact correction

Yes, happy to see people here this week.   I watched 2 shows - 7 pm & 8 pm.  The earlier one had a modest house that got new paint & door, & craftsman trim, new kitchen & bath.   The second one was as described by @laredhead.  I saw the plans too for about 2 seconds.  Didn't see the bathrooms.   It looks like they want to be done with the 2nd floor and front of the house before the mess of the kitchen redo.  I like all the fireplace fixes and foyer too.  I was surprised to see wall-to-wall carpet in the bedroom and I wasn't crazy about the new bathroom. It was "meh".  The budget was $280,000 wow!

The little house living room was nicely done.  I thought the frieze should have been done in the dining room too - it seemed to bare.  Not a fan of the kitchen - it looked like a kitchen from "Home Town" - nothing vintage.  Would love to see some vintage appliances or, at least, vintage looking ones.  Not ordinary stainless.  The table was tiny - you couldn't put more than 2 plates on it.  It could have been a foot or two larger.

Doublemint, I was amazed at the $280,000 budget too, and Brett said that the addition of the bath upstairs would take 1/4 of that.  It was a small bathroom, and the vanity had only 1 sink.  Perhaps they don't get ready at the same time, or are not particularly interested in having a giant bathroom.  Personally, I like smaller bathrooms - less floor to mop, and sinks to clean.  A lot of that budget went restoring the siding and painting that house.  Hope the owners have $$ budgeted in future years for house painting.  That's going to be an expensive job; probably $25,000+ every few years. 

• Love 1

Doublemint, I was amazed at the $280,000 budget too, and Brett said that the addition of the bath upstairs would take 1/4 of that.  It was a small bathroom, and the vanity had only 1 sink.  Perhaps they don't get ready at the same time, or are not particularly interested in having a giant bathroom.  Personally, I like smaller bathrooms - less floor to mop, and sinks to clean.  A lot of that budget went restoring the siding and painting that house.  Hope the owners have $$ budgeted in future years for house painting.  That's going to be an expensive job; probably $25,000+ every few years. 

Yes - I agree about the 1/4 budget comment and small bathroom, but I also like small bathrooms, easier to clean!   So they now have 3 bedrooms because the bathroom & dressing room were created.  That means no guest room.  I'd use the already existing bathroom and use that money toward the kitchen. I always wonder where the TV is?   I doubt there's a den.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Doublemint said:

I was surprised to see wall-to-wall carpet in the bedroom

I have a 100-year-old Craftsman and the upstairs wood floors are not the same quality as those downstairs. My contractor is an expert on old houses (his lifelong passion) and he knows all kinds of odd facts. He told me that when my house was built, it was common to spend less money on the "upstairs" because only family would see it. So I have skinny pine floors upstairs and oak downstairs.

People sometimes cover these floors with carpet rather than refinish, repair or replace them. Or maybe they just love carpet under their tootsies on a cold winter morning!

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3

I watched 3 Restored shows tonight from 7 - 10 pm.  The "new" show at 8 was a large home.  I liked what was done to the outside, foyer and family room.  The kitchen no.  The old upper cabinet was lovely and should have been duplicated.  The new cabinets are totally modern, with toe kicks, which old ones never had.  The doors are wrong too.  The standard Brett sink is here.  Originally it would have been a larger sink with drainboards.  Also that modern stove Brett always uses.  How about a vintage one or a new one in vintage style?  He always does the same type of fridge, with that overlay cabinet.  The center of the floor was a white or very light beige lino.  Impossible to keep clean.  So yes for everything except the kitchen.    Hope some people comment here.

• Like 2
On 4/6/2023 at 6:51 AM, chediavolo said:

In my opinion, this is the best renovation show because Bret really tries to stick with keeping a House updated in areas that need modern touches like the kitchen & the bathroom, but really loves the historic features of the house. I’m sorry that this forum is so empty and it doesn’t seem like many people are watching this.

Because it moved to Magnolia, I missed several seasons of the show. HBO/MAX has it now so I've caught up. The "simple" 1923 bungalow is essentially an exact copy of my home, although mine looks nothing like Brett's work!

HBO/MAX has other restoration shows, such as In With the Old, Restoration Road, This Old House, and others.