Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

12, 18 gone.  Still two.

Favorite Episode End Scenes Season 2

1.  Sadie, Sadie -- Crap Shack.  Max gives Lorelai the ring he picked out with Rory and Cujo's help.  "I'm getting married."

2.  Hammers & Veils -- Gilmore mansion.  Lorelai comes over to apologize to Emily for waiting to tell her that she and Max were engaged.  "Um, I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but we don't communicate very well. When something good happens to me, I'm just afraid you're gonna make me feel bad about it. And when something bad happens to me, I'm always afraid you'll say 'I told you so.' I'm not sure if that's always fair, and I'm sure I share part of the blame for this circle we get into, but you think your words don't have any effect on me, but they do. And, I just didn't want to feel bad about this, so I waited. And I really didn't mean to hurt you."

4.  Road Trip to Harvard -- Town Square.  Lorelai and Rory get back from their road trip.  Rory tells Lane all about seeing Harvard.  Lorelai calls Sookie.  "I wanna start moving on the inn thing. . .I mean, take serious steps. We're ready, don't you think?"

5.  Nick & Nora, Sid & Nancy -- Town Square.  Rory runs into Jess and he gives her back the book he 'borrowed' from her room earlier.   "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much?"

6.  Presenting Lorelai Gilmore -- Gilmore mansion.  Lorelai drops by to 'hang' with Emily.  "You know Mom, if there's ever anything you want to talk about with me, you can." "All right."

7.  Like Mother, Like Daughter -- Chilton.  After the disastrous 'being Puffed' incident, Rory sits back at her usual lunch table, alone.  Another girl joins her and they both sit in silence, reading.

8.  The Ins and Outs of Inns -- Luke's.  Lorelai orders toast.  Luke warns her it's going to take longer because his big toaster is broken.  He doesn't know Jess fixed it.  "I have no idea what you're babbling about. I don't fix things."

9.  Run Away, Little Boy -- Luke's.  Lorelai comes over to tell Luke she's glad she has certain people in her life who will always be there.  "There's Rory, and Sookie, and this town and ... you. I mean, at least I think I've got..." "You do." "Good. Just checking."

13.  A-Tisket, A-Tasket -- Crap Shack.  Rory and Lorelai make up after their fight about the picnic and Jess, then Rory calls him after Lorelai leaves the room.  "Maybe you can explain what the hell this crazy woman is talking about." "Ah, The Fountainhead."

15.  Lost and Found -- Luke's apartment.  He's decided to expand and remodel to make room for Jess, rather than rent a new place.  He takes a sledgehammer to the wall.  "That’s your room. Finish up. We’ll hold hands and skip afterwards."

17.  Dead Uncles and Vegetables -- Luke's.  The Townies gather after Louie's funeral to eat and share stories.  "Don’t you have wakes for people you like?" "I think it might be for you."

19.  Teach Me Tonight -- Town Square.  The girls overhear Miss Patty and Babette talking about Jess leaving town after the car accident.  "I can’t believe Luke would send him off like that." "Well, I heard the kid wanted to go. I don’t know. All I know is that Jess is gone."

20.  Help Wanted -- Luke's.  Rory sees that Luke is back after his 'fishing trip' and stops in for a minute.  "Luke?" "Yeah?" "It wasn't his fault." "I know it wasn't."

21.  Lorelai's Graduation Day -- Crap Shack.  Lorelai comes home and finds out Rory missed her graduation because she went to NYC to see Jess.  "Okay, just let me take a shower and get the horrible smell of this horrible day off of me, and then we'll go anywhere you want, my treat, and I won't enjoy it. And then we'll come home and I'll go straight to bed and I'll have a terrible night's sleep, okay?"

22.  I Can't Get Started -- Independence Inn.  Lorelai and Rory try to focus on being happy for Sookie's wedding.  "I think I’m going to Washington." "Oh. Okay."

It occured to me this morning, that the events of 9/11 would have happened during the early part of S2 show-wise.  It would have been a school day, Rory would have been at Chilton.  Half an hour away from her mother, ten minutes away from her grandparents.  I found myself wondering how all of them would have reacted that day.  Did school let out?  Did Rory go to her grandparents' house?  Did Emily drive to the school in a panic and pick her up?  What about Paris?  Did she go home and comfort Nanny?  Did her parents bother to come home?

How did Mrs. Kim react?  Lane, at least, lives within walking (running) distance of the school.  Did Lane run home and they hunkered down in the lowest floor of the antique shop?  Did Luke make Jess stay in the diner with him that day?  Did they call to check on Liz?  (I'm sure they did.  It's Luke.)  Did the town all come together to watch events unfold, taking comfort in just being around people they know and love?

I know we watch shows like this to escape reality, not relive it, but just some things I was thinking about today.

Anyway.  21, 22 gone. Still voting against two.

1.  Sadie, Sadie -- Crap Shack.  Max gives Lorelai the ring he picked out with Rory and Cujo's help.  "I'm getting married."

2.  Hammers & Veils -- Gilmore mansion.  Lorelai comes over to apologize to Emily for waiting to tell her that she and Max were engaged.  "Um, I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but we don't communicate very well. When something good happens to me, I'm just afraid you're gonna make me feel bad about it. And when something bad happens to me, I'm always afraid you'll say 'I told you so.' I'm not sure if that's always fair, and I'm sure I share part of the blame for this circle we get into, but you think your words don't have any effect on me, but they do. And, I just didn't want to feel bad about this, so I waited. And I really didn't mean to hurt you."

4.  Road Trip to Harvard -- Town Square.  Lorelai and Rory get back from their road trip.  Rory tells Lane all about seeing Harvard.  Lorelai calls Sookie.  "I wanna start moving on the inn thing. . .I mean, take serious steps. We're ready, don't you think?"

5.  Nick & Nora, Sid & Nancy -- Town Square.  Rory runs into Jess and he gives her back the book he 'borrowed' from her room earlier.   "I thought you said you didn't read much." "Well, what is much?"

6.  Presenting Lorelai Gilmore -- Gilmore mansion.  Lorelai drops by to 'hang' with Emily.  "You know Mom, if there's ever anything you want to talk about with me, you can." "All right."

7.  Like Mother, Like Daughter -- Chilton.  After the disastrous 'being Puffed' incident, Rory sits back at her usual lunch table, alone.  Another girl joins her and they both sit in silence, reading.

8.  The Ins and Outs of Inns -- Luke's.  Lorelai orders toast.  Luke warns her it's going to take longer because his big toaster is broken.  He doesn't know Jess fixed it.  "I have no idea what you're babbling about. I don't fix things."

9.  Run Away, Little Boy -- Luke's.  Lorelai comes over to tell Luke she's glad she has certain people in her life who will always be there.  "There's Rory, and Sookie, and this town and ... you. I mean, at least I think I've got..." "You do." "Good. Just checking."

13.  A-Tisket, A-Tasket -- Crap Shack.  Rory and Lorelai make up after their fight about the picnic and Jess, then Rory calls him after Lorelai leaves the room.  "Maybe you can explain what the hell this crazy woman is talking about." "Ah, The Fountainhead."

15.  Lost and Found -- Luke's apartment.  He's decided to expand and remodel to make room for Jess, rather than rent a new place.  He takes a sledgehammer to the wall.  "That’s your room. Finish up. We’ll hold hands and skip afterwards."

17.  Dead Uncles and Vegetables -- Luke's.  The Townies gather after Louie's funeral to eat and share stories.  "Don’t you have wakes for people you like?" "I think it might be for you."

19.  Teach Me Tonight -- Town Square.  The girls overhear Miss Patty and Babette talking about Jess leaving town after the car accident.  "I can’t believe Luke would send him off like that." "Well, I heard the kid wanted to go. I don’t know. All I know is that Jess is gone."

20.  Help Wanted -- Luke's.  Rory sees that Luke is back after his 'fishing trip' and stops in for a minute.  "Luke?" "Yeah?" "It wasn't his fault." "I know it wasn't."

• Love 3

And for what it's worth, I am a year or two younger than Rory, depending on how you look at it (Born 2 years after her in 1986, graduated 1 year after her in 2004), and I went to high school in Upstate NY.  My school didn't let out on 9/11, and we even transferred classes as normal, but we didn't do any work in them-just sat and watched the news and talked with our teachers. I do remember exactly which class I was in when it happened and who I was with. I know the teacher who was with us remembers exactly who was there too. So I imagine it would be a similar experience for the kids in CT, although of course I have no idea how different schools and communities reacted.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

I do remember exactly which class I was in when it happened and who I was with.

Thank you for sharing that!  

I had a 2 year old and a 9 month old at the time. My youngest wouldn't be born for another three years. Now they're 19, 17, and 14. We've lived a lifetime since then, you know? It's surreal. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

It occured to me this morning, that the events of 9/11 would have happened during the early part of S2 show-wise.  It would have been a school day, Rory would have been at Chilton.  Half an hour away from her mother, ten minutes away from her grandparents.  I found myself wondering how all of them would have reacted that day.  Did school let out?  Did Rory go to her grandparents' house?  Did Emily drive to the school in a panic and pick her up?  What about Paris?  Did she go home and comfort Nanny?  Did her parents bother to come home?

How did Mrs. Kim react?  Lane, at least, lives within walking (running) distance of the school.  Did Lane run home and they hunkered down in the lowest floor of the antique shop?  Did Luke make Jess stay in the diner with him that day?  Did they call to check on Liz?  (I'm sure they did.  It's Luke.)  Did the town all come together to watch events unfold, taking comfort in just being around people they know and love?

I know we watch shows like this to escape reality, not relive it, but just some things I was thinking about today.

Interesting!  Hadn't thought of that!

The show seemed very topical from a pop culture standpoint but not necessarily from a historical/political standpoint.  I think that leaving politics out (mostly) is one reason it has a widespread viewership across the spectrum.

I was in med school, asleep for once, awoken by a family member just in time to watch the second plane hit live (I thought I was watching a replay of the first plane).  I just remember it being very surreal.  Everyone was sent home from everywhere and our house became a gathering point because...well, we always took everyone in.

8, 13

Edited by stan4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, stan4 said:

I think that leaving politics out (mostly) is one reason it has a widespread viewership across the spectrum.

Not political at the time but in retrospect loved Sookie's line about Trump.

I also remember vividly that day. I was working at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, MI and they evacuated the building.  No one knew what to do but clearly security had a disaster plan that they activated. I tried to go to the IT complex nearby but they were closing that as well.  We were all bewildered and sort of sat in a daze in the jammed parking lot (thousands worked there) not knowing what to do or where to go.  Changed our lives, for sure.

• Love 3

Wow, ya'll really did not like 19 this round.  Heh.  1 also out.  Still voting against two.

I have a (sleep-deprived) EEG tomorrow morning, followed by an MRI, so I'm going to go ahead and tally votes tonight.  Gotta do something other than throw plants at zombies for the next hour or so.  :/

13 is out.  Ya'll left me to choose between 8 and 15.  Thanks!  As much as I love Jess fixing the toaster with no fanfare, the sledgehammer scene is much more amusing and memorable so it gets to stay another round.

• Love 1

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone.  Tests showed no indication of seizure!  Yay!  Still have to have a sleep study in a couple of weeks, but that I can live with.  Not being able to drive for a year would have been.....difficult.  To say the least.

4, 2 out.  Time to drop to voting against one!

5 is gone.  Sigh.