Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

14 out.

Phone call scenes - either a character is on the phone, is listening to a message, or is describing a phone conversation.

3.  Lorelai calls Luke after their interrupted first kiss.  He hides in the storeroom to talk, she hides in a closet.  "We kissed. ..... You and me, we kissed?"  Pau Pau chews on Taylor's shoe.  (SGTDM)

5.  Lorelai accidentally admits to Emily she went to Cinnamon's wake after missing Cousin Claudia's funeral.  "Hold on. I'm looking up aneurysm in our medical dictionary to see if I just had one."  (Cinnamon's Wake)

9.  Luke has to go help Liz & TJ at the Renn Faire and leaves Lorelai a ton of messages on her answering machine.  "Oh, no, did you leave a message? Sorry, my answering machine dropped dead of exhaustion."  (SGTDM)

27.  Someone calls to make the first reservation at the Dragonfly Inn.  Lorelai has to take his information down on a gum wrapper.  Sookie is excited.  Michel is displeased.  "It's embarrassing. This is an historical document."  (TISL)

(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 12:51 PM, Kohola3 said:

And I always thought of it as feeling her way in the abrupt turn from long time friends to the beginning of a romantic relationship.  Maybe afraid of taking that step and assuming that Luke might not see it in the same way she's hoping he will.  Thus her relief and joy when he said what he did. 

I guess I felt that, having been in that situation!

That's a much better way of looking at it, I'll try to see it that way next time I (inevitably) rewatch. Still have to go with 3 though, I just love the others a bit more.

Edited by Bumblebee Tights
  • Love 1

Our top three!

Phone call scenes - either a character is on the phone, is listening to a message, or is describing a phone conversation.

3.  Lorelai calls Luke after their interrupted first kiss.  He hides in the storeroom to talk, she hides in a closet.  "We kissed. ..... You and me, we kissed?"  Pau Pau chews on Taylor's shoe.  (SGTDM)

5.  Lorelai accidentally admits to Emily she went to Cinnamon's wake after missing Cousin Claudia's funeral.  "Hold on. I'm looking up aneurysm in our medical dictionary to see if I just had one."  (Cinnamon's Wake)

9.  Luke has to go help Liz & TJ at the Renn Faire and leaves Lorelai a ton of messages on her answering machine.  "Oh, no, did you leave a message? Sorry, my answering machine dropped dead of exhaustion."  (SGTDM)

Time to vote FOR the one you want to win!!!

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

5 to win! Long Live Queen Emily!

I just can't believe Lorelai actually admitted to her that the wake/funeral she went to was for a CAT.  What was she thinking?  >_<

• Love 1

I love that you people continue to surprise me from time to time.  Never would have guessed this one for our winner, but I love it!

Our favorite phone conversation is -

Lorelai accidentally admits to Emily she went to Cinnamon's wake after missing Cousin Claudia's funeral.  "Hold on. I'm looking up aneurysm in our medical dictionary to see if I just had one."  (Cinnamon's Wake)

Wheeee!  

So what's next?  I think we're on a good roll with having scenes that aren't character specific, so here's some ideas:

Drinking - scenes where a character is drinking/drunk, or telling a story about being drunk

One-liners - exactly that, memorable lines that stand out regardless of the scene (I know I'm not the only one who regularly uses one-liners from GG in everyday conversation!)

Lies - scenes where a character is telling a lie, although I'd like to stipulate keeping this one light/funny so I don't stab my eyeballs out

Favorite teasers or final scenes - I would just list each episode teaser/ender in order, season by season, to keep it easy (this one would take a good long while to do)

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Ooooh, and another idea to file away is favorite pop culture references?

I love that!  Making a note!

And teasers/enders would actually be less time consuming for me, btw, because I don't have to hunt each scene down to find quotes LOL.  It would just take several weeks to go through (which doesn't bother me!).

• Love 1

Favorite Episode Openers - Season 1

1.  Pilot - Lorelai's got a problem.  "Please, Luke, please, please, please."  Luke is an angel.  "You've got wings, baby."  Joey wants to date Lorelai and/or Rory.  "She's sixteen."  "Bye!"

2.  The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton - Lorelai is painting Rory's toenails, because everybody knows that private school girls are bad, and bad girls always wear red nail polish.  Lane comes over with a new CD and Lorelai ditches Rory with her toes halfway done.  "Who cares? You're gonna be wearing shoes anyway!"

3.  Kill Me Now - FND.  Mira, or maybe Sarah, makes a lovely cassoulet.  Rory has to pick a team sport to play for Chilton.  Emily decides Richard is going to take Rory golfing, as she can use Lorelai's golf clubs.  "They're upstairs gathering dust along with the rest of her potential."

4.  The Deer Hunters - The girls are shopping for school supplies.  Rory can't have festive paper at a serious school.  "Here are you somber highlighters, your maudlin pencils, your manic-depressive pens."  Rory leaves before they can stage an intervention for the neon post-its.  

5.  Cinnamon's Wake - FND.  Richard is away on business.  Lorelai wonders if the firm is insuring Nazis now.  Cousin Claudia has died.  Lorelai has no recollection of meeting Cousin Claudia, and possibly of man walking on the moon.  "So you're not going?"
 "Not this time." "I don't think Claudia's planning to die a second time."

6.  Rory's Birthday Parties - FND.  Richard & Emily's lawyer is coming by tomorrow.  They want Rory and Lorelai to put post-its on anything they want to get willed to them when R&E die.  There's pudding.  Lorelai wants to talk to Emily alone about Rory's party.  Emily should sit down.  "but not there, OK? We got a post-it on that. We'd like to keep it nice."

7.  Kiss and Tell - Lorelai hasn't had any clean underwear for three days.  It's kinda nice, breezy.  Luke refuses to decorate the diner for Thanksgiving.  He's busy arguing with Taylor so Lorelai gets her own coffee and muffin.  "Oh, yeah, here's a tip -- serve your customers!"  "Here's another -- don't sit on any cold benches!"

8.  Love and War and Snow - Town Meeting.  Andrew argues that having lava lamp in his store is not peddling drug paraphernalia.  "There is no use for a lava lamp unless you're on drugs." "Oh, for crying out loud."  They discuss the Revolutionary War Reenactment.  Luke loses it.  "Twelve guys stood in a row all night waiting for an enemy that never showed. They got stood up! They should've been wearing prom dresses."

9.  Rory's Dance - FND.  Lorelai is getting rid of the avocado in her salad.  Rory has a formal coming up, which Lorelai would know if she had read her Chilton newsletter.  "Well what about the owls?" "They'll live." "Well apparently they won't, dear. That's why they need the donations in the first place."

10.  Forgiveness & Stuff - Townies get ready for the Christmas play.  Baby Jesus is missing his arm, again.  The 'before' Mary is about to become an 'after'.  "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."

11.  Paris is Burning - Stars Hollow is having an animal adoption fair.  The girls find the doggie version of Luke.  Rory tells the story of Skippy, their hamster.  "So this keeps going on and the cage is just a cage full of Kleenex that moves a little, and the smell? Really good."

12.  Double Date - Non-verbal montage of the girls getting ready for work/school.  There's poptarts, coffee, a bow around the neck, and a tossed hair clip.

13.  Concert Interruptus - Lorelai is trying to find something to donate to the town rummage sale, but insists that everything in her closet gets worn.  "It's got rhinestones and zebra stripes.  Tassels."  "Okay, I’ve had this since I was 17." "Okay, I’m sorry, did I mention the tassels?"

14.  That Damn Donna Reed - Dean comes over.  The girls are watching the incomparable Donna Reed Show.  Dean brought pizza . . . and a salad.   "It's a quaint dish sometimes used to precede large quantities of pizza."  Dean makes the mistake of saying Donna Reed's television life doesn't seem so bad.  "You are no longer late for dinner. You're just extremely early for breakfast."  "Not saying a word."

15.  Christopher Returns - Chris is in Stars Hollow for the first time.  Rory wonders if they can get him to stay for a couple of weeks.  "Absolutely - by weighting him down with blankets."  Chris' girlfriend is ancient history.  Lorelai can't keep a feller happy.  Rory invites Chris to go to Dean's softball game with her.  "She has a Dean?"  "She has a Dean."

16.  Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers - Townies get ready for the Starlight Festival.  Miss Patty tells the story of Stars Hollow's founding.  "Now, we still have a little time left in our story hour. Who wants to hear about the time I danced in a cage for Tito Puente?"

17.  The Breakup, Part 2 - Rory and Dean have broken up.  Lorelai tries to find out what happened.  Rory throws everything Dean ever commented on in a box.  "Sweater’s brand new." "Well he saw me in it yesterday and he liked it." "Well then he’s got good taste." "He said it brought out the blue in my eyes." "Well then he’s gay."

18.  The Third Lorelai - FND.  The girls are quiet.  Richard just got off the phone, long distance.  "God?"  "London."  "God lives in London?"  "My mother lives in London."  "Your mother is God?  So God is a woman, and a relative.  That's so cool!  I'm gonna  totally ask for favors."  Emily excuses herself to freak out after finding out Gran is coming to visit.

19.  Emily in Wonderland - FND.  Rory needs baby pictures for a project at school.  Emily doesn't have any baby pictures of Lorelai, since Lorelai burned them all.  Emily needs to find a new source for good antiques, since Peg Mosley found out all of her favorite places and wiped them all out.  Rory offers to take her to Kim's Antiques on Saturday.  Lorelai is working.  "No one is asking you to do anything, Lorelai. This is between Rory and me."

20.  P.S. I Lo... - The girls play 1-2-3 He's Yours to take their mind off things.  Lorelai passes up two perfectly good prospects and has to settle for Kirk.  "Daddy!"  Luke offers his congratulations.  "Mom, quick, he's leaving!"  "Oh no, Kirk come back, I love you!"

21.  Love, Daisies, and Troubadours - Lorelai is startled awake by Luke hammering on her porch rail at 6 am.  'Luke, we sleep around here. Okay, we like it. It makes us pretty and keeps us from killing our crazy friends."  She accidentally locks herself out of the house and has to yell for Rory to come open the door.  Babette comes out and tells her she's waking up the whole neighborhood.  "Lorelai, sugar, please!"

15 and 17 out.  (I always felt like Lorelai was way too pushy in 17.  Give the girl 30 seconds to process that she just broke up with her first boyfriend before you start hounding her about why, Lorelai.  Geez.)

Still voting out two.

1.  Pilot - Lorelai's got a problem.  "Please, Luke, please, please, please."  Luke is an angel.  "You've got wings, baby."  Joey wants to date Lorelai and/or Rory.  "She's sixteen."  "Bye!"

2.  The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton - Lorelai is painting Rory's toenails, because everybody knows that private school girls are bad, and bad girls always wear red nail polish.  Lane comes over with a new CD and Lorelai ditches Rory with her toes halfway done.  "Who cares? You're gonna be wearing shoes anyway!"

3.  Kill Me Now - FND.  Mira, or maybe Sarah, makes a lovely cassoulet.  Rory has to pick a team sport to play for Chilton.  Emily decides Richard is going to take Rory golfing, as she can use Lorelai's golf clubs.  "They're upstairs gathering dust along with the rest of her potential."

4.  The Deer Hunters - The girls are shopping for school supplies.  Rory can't have festive paper at a serious school.  "Here are you somber highlighters, your maudlin pencils, your manic-depressive pens."  Rory leaves before they can stage an intervention for the neon post-its.  

5.  Cinnamon's Wake - FND.  Richard is away on business.  Lorelai wonders if the firm is insuring Nazis now.  Cousin Claudia has died.  Lorelai has no recollection of meeting Cousin Claudia, and possibly of man walking on the moon.  "So you're not going?" "Not this time." "I don't think Claudia's planning to die a second time."

6.  Rory's Birthday Parties - FND.  Richard & Emily's lawyer is coming by tomorrow.  They want Rory and Lorelai to put post-its on anything they want to get willed to them when R&E die.  There's pudding.  Lorelai wants to talk to Emily alone about Rory's party.  Emily should sit down.  "but not there, OK? We got a post-it on that. We'd like to keep it nice."

7.  Kiss and Tell - Lorelai hasn't had any clean underwear for three days.  It's kinda nice, breezy.  Luke refuses to decorate the diner for Thanksgiving.  He's busy arguing with Taylor so Lorelai gets her own coffee and muffin.  "Oh, yeah, here's a tip -- serve your customers!"  "Here's another -- don't sit on any cold benches!"

8.  Love and War and Snow - Town Meeting.  Andrew argues that having lava lamp in his store is not peddling drug paraphernalia.  "There is no use for a lava lamp unless you're on drugs." "Oh, for crying out loud."  They discuss the Revolutionary War Reenactment.  Luke loses it.  "Twelve guys stood in a row all night waiting for an enemy that never showed. They got stood up! They should've been wearing prom dresses."

9.  Rory's Dance - FND.  Lorelai is getting rid of the avocado in her salad.  Rory has a formal coming up, which Lorelai would know if she had read her Chilton newsletter.  "Well what about the owls?" "They'll live." "Well apparently they won't, dear. That's why they need the donations in the first place."

10.  Forgiveness & Stuff - Townies get ready for the Christmas play.  Baby Jesus is missing his arm, again.  The 'before' Mary is about to become an 'after'.  "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."

11.  Paris is Burning - Stars Hollow is having an animal adoption fair.  The girls find the doggie version of Luke.  Rory tells the story of Skippy, their hamster.  "So this keeps going on and the cage is just a cage full of Kleenex that moves a little, and the smell? Really good."

12.  Double Date - Non-verbal montage of the girls getting ready for work/school.  There's poptarts, coffee, a bow around the neck, and a tossed hair clip.

13.  Concert Interruptus - Lorelai is trying to find something to donate to the town rummage sale, but insists that everything in her closet gets worn.  "It's got rhinestones and zebra stripes.  Tassels."  "Okay, I’ve had this since I was 17." "Okay, I’m sorry, did I mention the tassels?"

14.  That Damn Donna Reed - Dean comes over.  The girls are watching the incomparable Donna Reed Show.  Dean brought pizza . . . and a salad.   "It's a quaint dish sometimes used to precede large quantities of pizza."  Dean makes the mistake of saying Donna Reed's television life doesn't seem so bad.  "You are no longer late for dinner. You're just extremely early for breakfast."  "Not saying a word."

16.  Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers - Townies get ready for the Starlight Festival.  Miss Patty tells the story of Stars Hollow's founding.  "Now, we still have a little time left in our story hour. Who wants to hear about the time I danced in a cage for Tito Puente?"

18.  The Third Lorelai - FND.  The girls are quiet.  Richard just got off the phone, long distance.  "God?"  "London."  "God lives in London?"  "My mother lives in London."  "Your mother is God?  So God is a woman, and a relative.  That's so cool!  I'm gonna  totally ask for favors."  Emily excuses herself to freak out after finding out Gran is coming to visit.

19.  Emily in Wonderland - FND.  Rory needs baby pictures for a project at school.  Emily doesn't have any baby pictures of Lorelai, since Lorelai burned them all.  Emily needs to find a new source for good antiques, since Peg Mosley found out all of her favorite places and wiped them all out.  Rory offers to take her to Kim's Antiques on Saturday.  Lorelai is working.  "No one is asking you to do anything, Lorelai. This is between Rory and me."

20.  P.S. I Lo... - The girls play 1-2-3 He's Yours to take their mind off things.  Lorelai passes up two perfectly good prospects and has to settle for Kirk.  "Daddy!"  Luke offers his congratulations.  "Mom, quick, he's leaving!"  "Oh no, Kirk come back, I love you!"

21.  Love, Daisies, and Troubadours - Lorelai is startled awake by Luke hammering on her porch rail at 6 am.  'Luke, we sleep around here. Okay, we like it. It makes us pretty and keeps us from killing our crazy friends."  She accidentally locks herself out of the house and has to yell for Rory to come open the door.  Babette comes out and tells her she's waking up the whole neighborhood.  "Lorelai, sugar, please!"

2 out for sure.  Sorry Lulu but I gotta give 12 the boot also.  I just adore Miss Patty too much in 16.

5.  Cinnamon's Wake - FND.  Richard is away on business.  Lorelai wonders if the firm is insuring Nazis now.  Cousin Claudia has died.  Lorelai has no recollection of meeting Cousin Claudia, and possibly of man walking on the moon.  "So you're not going?" "Not this time." "I don't think Claudia's planning to die a second time."

16, 11 gone!  Still two!