Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

2, 11, 15

I would vote against 2 all of my votes if I could. Luke should be grateful Chris didn’t have him arrested and press charges. 

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I would vote against 2 all of my votes if I could. Luke should be grateful Chris didn’t have him arrested and press charges. 

Ha ha ha we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  I cheered.

1 hour ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

I tend to say that I like S7 better than S6 overall because S6 is just so mean spirited and at least in S7 an effort was made to fix the mess...and I still stand by that.. but yikes.

That's me exactly.

• Love 2

1, 4, 5 gone!  Still three.

Favorite Openers, Season 7

2.  That's What You Get, Folks, For Making Whoopee - Luke's truck.  He drives to Christopher's apartment and punches him in the face.  :D

3.  Lorelai's First Cotillion - FND.  Charlotte Courtwright, age 10, answers the door and fixes drinks.  "Maybe mom has run out of adults who will work for her."

6.  Go, Bulldogs! - Crap Shack.  Lorelai calls Emily but pretends she's leaving a message when Emily answers.  "You didn't miss me. For heaven's sakes, I'm right here."

7.  French Twist - Crap Shack.  Lorelai, Chris, and Gigi get ready to leave for Paris.  "'Bonjour, mama! What's the haps?' I don't know the French word for 'haps.'"

8.  Introducing Lorelai Planetarium - Crap Shack.  Lorelai tries to figure out how to tell Rory that she and Chris got married in Paris.  "Now we have to get snails."

9.  Knit, People, Knit - FND.  Emily gives Lorelai the wedding gift she bought for them and plays (and replays) the recording from the answering machine where Lorelai told them she and Chris had gotten married.   "Ah, yes, and what was it exactly that she said?  I think it was something like this - "

10.  Merry Fisticuffs - Unknown house.  Chris and Lorelai look at houses.  Lorelai doesn't want to leave the Crap Shack, or Stars Hollow.  "Frittata?"

11.  Santa's Secret Stuff - Crap Shack.  Lorelai and Gigi are waiting for Rory to get home from London.  "I didn't let any Christmas happen. I grinched it up so hard, I didn't even let it snow."

12.  To Whom It May Concern - FND.  Emily serves Quail Mazatla'n.  "How could so tiny a quail have such a big, awful taste?"

13.  I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia - Babette's.  Lorelai is helping her move plants into the bedroom.  "After decades in the bedroom, who would have thought that the idea of dressing up like a Howler monkey would be such a turn-on?"

14.  Farewell, My Pet - Hospital.  Richard is doing laps around the hallways.  "Well I consider myself proof positive that it can be done...and done clean."  He gossips with Rory and Lorelai about the hospital patients.

15.  I'm a Kayak, Hear Me Roar - Paris' apartment.  Lorelai comes to pick up Rory.  Paris and Doyle are doing yoga.  Lorelai and Rory go for a drive to talk about the breakup.  "It just wasn't right, you know? And he knew it wasn't right, and I knew it wasn't right. It just wasn't..." "It wasn't right."

16.  Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore? - Town Square.  Lorelai and Rory are shopping for Lane's baby shower.  "You can slap anything on a onesie and it looks cute."  Rory gets a call from the New York Times.

17.  Gilmore Girls Only - Boutique.  Rory is shopping for an interview suit.  Lorelai tries to talk her into taking a road trip for Mia's wedding.  "How come you weren't so desperate to have me come along when we got the invitation, two months ago?" "Well because two months ago, I knew you would play the homework card, so I planned to do this with your dad -- just him and me."

18.  Hay Bale Maze - Dragonfly.  Michel and Sookie bicker over where to put the brochures and the baskets.  Lorelai talks about the town getting hoodwinked into agreeing on a hay bale maze.  "Whatever. I'm outtie 5,000."

19.  It's Just Like Riding a Bike - Luke's.  Lorelai comes in for the first time in a while.  "Actually I can tell you exactly when Lorelai was in here last ‘cause I marked it in my calendar. 'May 22, 2006, stool available?'”

20.  Lorelai? Lorelai? - Rory's dream.  She gets kicked out of Chilton.  Lorelai goes to Hawaii.  Paris and Doyle live in the Crap Shack.  Rory needs to leave for work.  "Don’t forget your poker. That trash isn't gonna pick up itself."

21.  Unto the Breach - Town Square.  Sookie and Lorelai go around getting everything ready for Rory's graduation party.  They talk about karaoke night.  "That’s why I'm going to the diner today -- to see how I feel, sober and without the lyrics of 'I will always love you' streaming in front of me."

22.  Bon Voyage - Dragonfly.  Rory meets Christiane Amanpour.  "I'm sorry to meet you in my pajamas. I don't usually walk around town like this."

Okay, okay, okay.  2 is gone.  So are 7 and 10.

3.  Lorelai's First Cotillion - FND.  Charlotte Courtwright, age 10, answers the door and fixes drinks.  "Maybe mom has run out of adults who will work for her."

6.  Go, Bulldogs! - Crap Shack.  Lorelai calls Emily but pretends she's leaving a message when Emily answers.  "You didn't miss me. For heaven's sakes, I'm right here."

8.  Introducing Lorelai Planetarium - Crap Shack.  Lorelai tries to figure out how to tell Rory that she and Chris got married in Paris.  "Now we have to get snails."

9.  Knit, People, Knit - FND.  Emily gives Lorelai the wedding gift she bought for them and plays (and replays) the recording from the answering machine where Lorelai told them she and Chris had gotten married.   "Ah, yes, and what was it exactly that she said?  I think it was something like this - "

11.  Santa's Secret Stuff - Crap Shack.  Lorelai and Gigi are waiting for Rory to get home from London.  "I didn't let any Christmas happen. I grinched it up so hard, I didn't even let it snow."

12.  To Whom It May Concern - FND.  Emily serves Quail Mazatla'n.  "How could so tiny a quail have such a big, awful taste?"

13.  I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia - Babette's.  Lorelai is helping her move plants into the bedroom.  "After decades in the bedroom, who would have thought that the idea of dressing up like a Howler monkey would be such a turn-on?"

14.  Farewell, My Pet - Hospital.  Richard is doing laps around the hallways.  "Well I consider myself proof positive that it can be done...and done clean."  He gossips with Rory and Lorelai about the hospital patients.

15.  I'm a Kayak, Hear Me Roar - Paris' apartment.  Lorelai comes to pick up Rory.  Paris and Doyle are doing yoga.  Lorelai and Rory go for a drive to talk about the breakup.  "It just wasn't right, you know? And he knew it wasn't right, and I knew it wasn't right. It just wasn't..." "It wasn't right."

16.  Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore? - Town Square.  Lorelai and Rory are shopping for Lane's baby shower.  "You can slap anything on a onesie and it looks cute."  Rory gets a call from the New York Times.

17.  Gilmore Girls Only - Boutique.  Rory is shopping for an interview suit.  Lorelai tries to talk her into taking a road trip for Mia's wedding.  "How come you weren't so desperate to have me come along when we got the invitation, two months ago?" "Well because two months ago, I knew you would play the homework card, so I planned to do this with your dad -- just him and me."

18.  Hay Bale Maze - Dragonfly.  Michel and Sookie bicker over where to put the brochures and the baskets.  Lorelai talks about the town getting hoodwinked into agreeing on a hay bale maze.  "Whatever. I'm outtie 5,000."

19.  It's Just Like Riding a Bike - Luke's.  Lorelai comes in for the first time in a while.  "Actually I can tell you exactly when Lorelai was in here last ‘cause I marked it in my calendar. 'May 22, 2006, stool available?'”

20.  Lorelai? Lorelai? - Rory's dream.  She gets kicked out of Chilton.  Lorelai goes to Hawaii.  Paris and Doyle live in the Crap Shack.  Rory needs to leave for work.  "Don’t forget your poker. That trash isn't gonna pick up itself."

21.  Unto the Breach - Town Square.  Sookie and Lorelai go around getting everything ready for Rory's graduation party.  They talk about karaoke night.  "That’s why I'm going to the diner today -- to see how I feel, sober and without the lyrics of 'I will always love you' streaming in front of me."

22.  Bon Voyage - Dragonfly.  Rory meets Christiane Amanpour.  "I'm sorry to meet you in my pajamas. I don't usually walk around town like this."

8, 11, 12 gone. Still three.

13, 17, 21 out! Still voting against three so we can get this wrapped up.

23 hours ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

But these aren't bad now.

Yeah, some of these are kinda alright.  In fact, "Maybe mom has run out of adults who will work for her" is probably one of my favorite throwaway lines of the whole series.  Hee.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Bumblebee Tights said:

I actually think 9 is pretty funny, and the answering machine bit feels right and more in line with typical GG then a lot of the S7 openers.

I’m absolutely rooting for 9 to win. I like that open. It feels like they’re all in character for one of the only times all season.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I’m absolutely rooting for 9 to win. I like that open. It feels like they’re all in character for one of the only times all season.

I agree.  Alas, it had one too many votes for me to be able to save it.

9, 15, 20 gone.  Let's vote against two now.

Vote out the last two you want gone!

As much as it tickles me the few times Richard plays along with Rory and Lorelai's silliness, I don't love 14 enough to be upset that it's gone.  Here's our Top Three for Season 7!

Time to compile the top three from each season and vote on all of them!  It'll just take me a few minutes to get that together.

Edited by Taryn74

Okay, here we go!  Time to decide our favorite season opener of all time!  Start out voting against two.

Favorite Season Opener - All Seasons

1. Rory's Birthday Parties - FND.  Richard & Emily's lawyer is coming by tomorrow.  They want Rory and Lorelai to put post-its on anything they want to get willed to them when R&E die.  There's pudding.  Lorelai wants to talk to Emily alone about Rory's party.  Emily should sit down.  "But not there, OK? We've got a post-it on that. We'd like to keep it nice."

2. Kiss and Tell – Town Square. Lorelai hasn't had any clean underwear for three days.  It's kinda nice, breezy.  Luke refuses to decorate the diner for Thanksgiving.  He's busy arguing with Taylor so Lorelai gets her own coffee and muffin.  "Oh, yeah, here's a tip -- serve your customers!"  "Here's another -- don't sit on any cold benches!"

3. P.S. I Lo... – Luke's. The girls play 1-2-3 He's Yours to take their mind off things.  Lorelai passes up two perfectly good prospects and has to settle for Kirk.  "Daddy!"  Luke offers his congratulations.  "Mom, quick, he's leaving!"  "Oh no, Kirk come back, I love you!"

4. Like Mother, Like Daughter – Luke's. The diner is busy.  Lorelai tries flirting with Luke for faster service.  Rory hassles Lorelai about the Barry Manilow CD which was hiding under the seat of the car.  They bicker over whose guilty pleasure music is worse.  "The Macarena. You and Lane for hours and hours, for weeks on end." "Hey, we were mocking. You can't mock the mocking."

5. The Bracebridge Dinner – Town Square. The girls are building a snowman.  Er, snowwoman.  The mouth is crooked.  "It gives her a unique expression." "Like she had a stroke?"  Rory has to be careful with her winter break plans, as Paris wants the first Franklin issue after break to be a double issue, because the news never sleeps.  "What about Paris, does she ever sleep?" "I think she periodically makes a whirring noise and then just shuts down."

6. Richard in Stars Hollow - FND.  Emily grills Lorelai on whether or not she's dating anyone, and if she plans to be single her entire life.  "Well, I visited the family mausoleum today." "Never what you think it’s gonna be!"  There's currently no more room for any spouses or children, unless they get an annex.  Aunt Cecile will have to be moved. “This is a cold, cold family.”

7. Haunted Leg -- FND.  Emily is upset about Christopher.  Lorelai refuses to talk about it.  Rory tries to make small talk.  Shauna Christy shot her husband thirty-five times.  At least she had a husband to kill.  "This is nice, isn't it?"

8. Lorelai Out of Water – Crap Shack. The girls are getting ready to clean out the garage.  "We're pack rats."  "We're Sanford & Son."  Lorelai tosses out Hug-a-World.  Rory is horrified.  Hug-a-World would like to see the world.  "It's moving!  I hugged it, I hugged it really tight!  I have to shower!"

9. A Tale of Poes & Fire -- Luke's.  Rory is working on her pro/con lists for Harvard, Princeton, and Yale.  Kirk is selling t-shirts featuring a humorous topical headline of something he witnessed around town.  "babette ate oatmeal"  Luke gives Rory the most awkward hug in the history of hugs.

10. Scene in a Mall - Luke's.  Luke asks Lorelai if she's okay, after her meltdown in the park.  Kirk has a dog in a man bag.  He has to cover and say it's magazines.  "Uh, where is that? Just looking for my Lucky magazine, and, uh - ouch!  Paper cut."

11. The Reigning Lorelai - FND.  They're eating - or not - escargot.  Emily mentions her oldest friend, Sweetie Nelson, has recently died.  Lorelai wonders how they got the nickname Sweetie from Melinda, and is unimpressed that she's called Sweetie because she was sweet.  "Exactly what kind of story about my recently departed friend would amuse you?"

12. Afterboom - Town Square.  Lorelai needs stamps.  Luke needs a notary.  "You're getting a mail-order divorce?"  Kirk shows Lorelai all the whimsical stamps available while Luke tries to sign his papers.  “Did you practice the twitch?” “Oh, who didn't practice the twitch!” "Trying to get divorced here!"

13. The Party's Over – FND. Richard serves the girls steak on a stick. Emily is not pleased. “Those are not appetizers! Those are skewers!” She makes the girls eat seconds of everything at dinner to prove they're still hungry. “Grandma's mean.” “If it flew, swam, or crawled on this earth, we just ate it.”

14. Women of Questionable Morals – Luke's Apartment. Lorelai drags Luke outside. She smells snow. “We go back, snow and me. We have a beautiful history.”

15. Come Home – Luke's Apartment. Lorelai is trying to go to bed early so she can spend more time with Luke. She wonders why he doesn't have a TV to fall asleep to. “You know what ruins your REM sleep, is all those articles about REM sleep.”

16. New and Improved Lorelai - Luke's.  Lorelai asks Luke to marry her.  He says yes.  "Married...you and me...Luke-table-for-one-Danes and Lorelai-I'm-sorry-can-I-get-an-industrial-forklift-for-my-emotional-baggage-Gilmore are getting married." They go searching for something suitable to toast the occasion with.

17. The UnGraduate - Crap Shack.  Lorelai feeds the construction workers breakfast.  She goes to Babette's to take a shower, since some of the guys saw her naked the day before.  "Billy had the best view, just a straight shot right down main street."

18. I Get a Sidekick Out of You - Kim's Antiques.  The Kim relatives are all in town helping prepare for Lane's wedding.  Lorelai brings over Lane's altered dress.  She breaks the news to Mrs. Kim that Luke can't come to the wedding.  "You can't come alone. An unmarried woman of a certain age, unescorted, wearing the clothes you tend to wear, people will think things, bad things." "Like what?" "Like you're a tramp and possibly for sale."

19. Lorelai's First Cotillion - FND.  Charlotte Courtwright, age 10, answers the door and fixes drinks.  "Maybe mom has run out of adults who will work for her."

20. Go, Bulldogs! - Crap Shack.  Lorelai calls Emily but pretends she's leaving a message when Emily answers.  "You didn't miss me. For heaven's sakes, I'm right here."

21. It's Just Like Riding a Bike - Luke's.  Lorelai comes in for the first time in a while.  "Actually I can tell you exactly when Lorelai was in here last ‘cause I marked it in my calendar. 'May 22, 2006, stool available?'”