Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

Emily instructs Rory on how to deal with "prisoners" on her first day of community service. "Leave your fight face at home". 

Richard and Rory share an inside joke after he pranks Logan. 

When they sing to Rory at her graduation party - "Rory, you're a bulldog through and through". 

When they double hug Rory after she announces she's going to Yale - better than the dim-witted Brown grandson. 

Emily reassuring Rory that Straub was a "perfect ass". 

Emily calling Rory to find out if she likes NSync or the Backside Boys better. 

Emily and Rory traveling Europe together. "Enjoy your funk."

• Love 2

1.  Rory goes to her grandparents and asks for a loan to pay for Yale.  "Rory, does your mother know you're here?" "No. This is my thing. I'll see you at the ceremony."  (TAS,P)

2.  Richard & Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow Birthday Party, after things go badly at their party for her.  Richard takes a quiz - "I am an autumn" - while Emily observes the girls' Stars Hollow life.  (RBP)

3.  Rory fusses over Richard while he's in the hospital, reads him the financials and hugs him after checking to make sure she won't hurt him.  "This little girl likes you." "Well, she has good taste."  (F&S)

4.  Rory goes to her grandparents and asks them to come to Lorelai's graduation ceremony from business school.  "She's graduating Thursday, and there's going to be a ceremony and I think it would mean a lot to her if you guys were there. It may not seem like it would, but it's true."  (LGD)

5.  Richard advises Rory and her classmates on their school project, and surprises everyone by getting very into it.  "Now, the secret to a great campaign is a great idea. Now, we’ve got that, let’s move on to finances. Um, uh, do any of you have dinner plans, because we’re gonna be here for awhile. Let’s all turn to page four."  (BitSA)

6.  Rory gets snowed in at the elder Gilmores' and introduces them to frozen pizza.  "Frozen pizza is a staple at our house. Mom's become a major doctoring genius. She'll put anything on it. One time Sookie came and brought us some foie gras, and Mom stuck it on a pizza." "How was it?" "Pretty good once we took the foie gras off."  (L&W&S)

7.  Rory bonds with her grandparents over old photos of Emily's sister Hopie, their wedding, and Lorelai's baby pictures.  Things go sour when she finds a picture of Lorelai in her debutante gown and realizes why she didn't have her coming out party.  "If you'll excuse me, I have some business calls to make."  (L&W&S)

8.  Emily, upset over Lorelai not coming to FND the night before Rory moves to Yale, keeps Rory trapped in the basement watching old ballroom dancing competitions.  "Now I think you're really going to see quite a difference from the early eighties. They really start to mix it up in '88."  (B&B)

9.  Rory comes to FND for the first time since Luke & Lorelai broke up after the vow renewal.  Emily is shocked that Rory is so upset with her.   "I respect our contract. And I will continue to come every Friday night and eat dinner with you. But I won’t guarantee an attitude that will please you."  (So...Good Talk)

10.  Rory goes to Richard for help after dropping out of Yale.  She breaks down in tears and he loses all resolve to be stern.  "It’s all right. Everything will be all right."  (AHINAH)

11.  Rory grows increasingly frustrated with being treated like a disobedient child while living with Richard & Emily.  Things come to a head at the Balalaikas event.  "You are becoming more like your mother with every passing day." "And you are becoming more like my mother's mother with every passing day!"  (LMHYBRO)

12.  Rory goes to work at the DAR.  She gossips with Emily about the members.  "So, one of the girls tells me that about three months ago, she was in the office with Constance, and as Constance was heading out for lunch, she stumbled and dropped her purse, and her altoids box popped open, spilling out enough funny-looking pills to fill a pharmacy. Constance claimed that they were all vitamins. Julia didn't buy it. Because he minute the pills spilled out, Constance threw herself on top of them to cover them up." "I love having a mole. We should go buy you a trench coat and fedora."  (The UnGraduate)

13.  After confronting Mitchum Huntzberger, Richard really sees for the first time who Rory is becoming while living with them.  His face falls as it sinks in she is becoming a vapid DAR-Darling.  (WGMTD)

14.  Rory shows Emily the potting shed where Lorelai raised her for the first few years after running away from the elder Gilmores'.  Emily reacts very differently than Rory expects.  "See we had our bed right over there, and mom put up this really pretty curtain around the tub so that it looked like a real bathroom. And we would just sit outside at night when the Inn would have parties and we'd just listen to music and feed the ducks, and . . . Grandma? Grandma wait, what's the matter?"  (EiW)

15.  Rory shows Emily around Stars Hollow.  They eat at Teryaki Joe's, haggle with Mrs. Kim over an antique, and Emily borrows Lorelai's jogging shoes.  "I won't wear anything with rhinestones or zebra stripes or anything that has batteries or that sings or make animal noises or moves on its own."  (EiW)

16.  Richard grudgingly agrees to take Rory golfing but they end up bonding and having a wonderful time.  "Mr. Neville likes all things frilly." "Good G-d. He's my broker." "I don't think one will affect the other."  (KMN)

17.  Emily advises Rory on dealing with her "fellow prisoners" her first day of community service.  She gives Rory a pack of cigarettes - "It's currency to these people" - and tells her to leave her fight face at home.  (Fight Face)

18.  Richard has a man-to-man talk with Logan after the LDB's 'give them back their balls!' prank on Rory.  Rory is waiting around the corner and we realize Logan has been punk'd.  Richard offers to take care of Paris next if need be.  "Ah, I do love this place." "Right back at you, Grandpa."

19.  Richard & Emily sing to Rory at her graduation from Yale.  "You'll make us proud, we'll sing it loud. (It’s true!) 'Cause now, Rory, you're a Bulldog through and through."  (UTB)

20.  Richard & Emily realize it's okay to be excited Rory's going to Yale.  "I'm getting the champagne!" "I'm calling the Talbotts." "Oh, make sure you gloat over that dimwitted son of theirs who couldn’t even get into Brown."  They double hug Rory before running off again.  (HBB)

21.  Emily finds Rory in the kitchen after the Gilmore v. Hayden showdown at FND.  She starts out politely defending Straub's character but quickly gives up.  "Oh let's face it, he's a big ass."  (Christopher Returns)

22.  Emily calls Rory to find out her likes and dislikes, so she can redecorate a room at their house for her.  She wants to hang a poster on the wall.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?"  (EiW)

23.  Emily & Rory travel across Europe.  Rory plans to go out on her own while Emily's napping.  "It's all cultural stuff, I promise. Just kind of faster and funkier." "Well, go enjoy your funk."  (AMNM)

24.  Rory, still upset about her breakup with Dean, has to escape Stars Hollow for a while and runs away to the elder Gilmores'.  Emily jumps into loving caregiver mode, Richard is glad she interrupted their plans for the evening.  "Richard, say something encouraging." "Uh, Rory, I'm sorry you're upset, but I applaud your timing."  (P.S. I Lo...)

25.  Richard apologizes - again - for being so harsh on Dean at dinner.  "We'd never had a fight." "No." "This was our first one." "Yes, it was." "And I must say, I didn't care for it." "Neither did I."  (Hammers & Veils)

26.  Rory helps Richard tie his bowtie as they prepare for Gran's funeral.  She offers to do the eulogy if he needs her to step in.  "I thank you for your offer, but this is my responsibility. I will be fine." "I'm sure you will." "However, if something happens, and I find myself, let us say, a tad more emotional than I would like --" "I got your back, Grandpa."  (The Reigning Lorelai)

27.  Rory and Lorelai decide to each work on one grandparent during Emily & Richard's estrangement.  Rory tackles Richard.  "It's good to shake things up every now and then -- you know, put a little paint on the house, move the furniture around the den, go blonde -- but after you've done all that, it can also be nice to go back to something that's comfortable, something you've depended on for, let's say, 40 years. I mean, if something's been around that long, it must be for a reason, right?"  (Emily Says Hello)

28.  Emily "drops by" while Rory is packing up from Yale at semester end.  She introduces Rory to the son of a friend and then leaves them to get to know each other.  "Okay, well, lesson number one -- when your mom, or your grandmother, starts trying to pin down your specific whereabouts at a specific time and place, and she's smiling kind of weird, begin evasive maneuvers immediately." "Got caught in that one myself."  (LWF,TWT)

29.  Emily drops Rory off after their Europe excursion.  She doesn't let Lorelai hug her - "I smell like an airplane" - but Rory is not to be rebuffed that easily.  "Oh, I can take it."  (AMNM)

30.  Rory comes down for breakfast after spending the night at the elder Gilmores'.  Emily offers eggs, fruit, toast, pancakes, blintzes but Rory says she usually just grabs a pop-tart.  "That sounds delicious. I'll have Rosa whip one up for you."  Richard's reading the newspaper.  The world's going to hell in a handbasket.  "It's nice to have something you can always count on."  (P.S. I Lo...)

Edited by Taryn74
Added more

10 -AB's acting in this scene has me cringing almost as much as Rory deciding to drop out of college and commit a felony because a guy gave her a piece of criticism!

12 - Sorry to make it seem like I'm just echoing lulu, but I really do dislike this scene for a number of reasons :-)

This is the first round I'm playing and already my bias against the later seasons are reflected in my choices!

5 minutes ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

It's useless, but I actually really like 10. The situation is really annoying, but Edward Hermann melts me in this scene. I'm just a sucker for how much Richard loves Rory.

Welcome, @iknowyouknow!

Loved Richard. Disliked Rory IMO taking advantage of the fact that he'd do anything for her.

• Love 2

8, 10, 12 are our first casualties!  10 was almost unanimous, which I understand, but IMO I never really felt Rory was being intentionally manipulative.  I just think she felt overwhelmed and went to the one person she knew would help her after her mother shut her out.  AB is just such a terrible crier that it looks fake LOL.

Rory and the Grandparents

1.  Rory goes to her grandparents and asks for a loan to pay for Yale.  "Rory, does your mother know you're here?" "No. This is my thing. I'll see you at the ceremony."  (TAS,P)

2.  Richard & Emily come to Rory's Stars Hollow Birthday Party, after things go badly at their party for her.  Richard takes a quiz - "I am an autumn" - while Emily observes the girls' Stars Hollow life.  (RBP)

3.  Rory fusses over Richard while he's in the hospital, reads him the financials and hugs him after checking to make sure she won't hurt him.  "This little girl likes you." "Well, she has good taste."  (F&S)

4.  Rory goes to her grandparents and asks them to come to Lorelai's graduation ceremony from business school.  "She's graduating Thursday, and there's going to be a ceremony and I think it would mean a lot to her if you guys were there. It may not seem like it would, but it's true."  (LGD)

5.  Richard advises Rory and her classmates on their school project, and surprises everyone by getting very into it.  "Now, the secret to a great campaign is a great idea. Now, we’ve got that, let’s move on to finances. Um, uh, do any of you have dinner plans, because we’re gonna be here for awhile. Let’s all turn to page four."  (BitSA)

6.  Rory gets snowed in at the elder Gilmores' and introduces them to frozen pizza.  "Frozen pizza is a staple at our house. Mom's become a major doctoring genius. She'll put anything on it. One time Sookie came and brought us some foie gras, and Mom stuck it on a pizza." "How was it?" "Pretty good once we took the foie gras off."  (L&W&S)

7.  Rory bonds with her grandparents over old photos of Emily's sister Hopie, their wedding, and Lorelai's baby pictures.  Things go sour when she finds a picture of Lorelai in her debutante gown and realizes why she didn't have her coming out party.  "If you'll excuse me, I have some business calls to make."  (L&W&S)

9.  Rory comes to FND for the first time since Luke & Lorelai broke up after the vow renewal.  Emily is shocked that Rory is so upset with her.   "I respect our contract. And I will continue to come every Friday night and eat dinner with you. But I won’t guarantee an attitude that will please you."  (So...Good Talk)

11.  Rory grows increasingly frustrated with being treated like a disobedient child while living with Richard & Emily.  Things come to a head at the Balalaikas event.  "You are becoming more like your mother with every passing day." "And you are becoming more like my mother's mother with every passing day!"  (LMHYBRO)

13.  After confronting Mitchum Huntzberger, Richard really sees for the first time who Rory is becoming while living with them.  His face falls as it sinks in she is becoming a vapid DAR-Darling.  (WGMTD)

14.  Rory shows Emily the potting shed where Lorelai raised her for the first few years after running away from the elder Gilmores'.  Emily reacts very differently than Rory expects.  "See we had our bed right over there, and mom put up this really pretty curtain around the tub so that it looked like a real bathroom. And we would just sit outside at night when the Inn would have parties and we'd just listen to music and feed the ducks, and . . . Grandma? Grandma wait, what's the matter?"  (EiW)

15.  Rory shows Emily around Stars Hollow.  They eat at Teryaki Joe's, haggle with Mrs. Kim over an antique, and Emily borrows Lorelai's jogging shoes.  "I won't wear anything with rhinestones or zebra stripes or anything that has batteries or that sings or make animal noises or moves on its own."  (EiW)

16.  Richard grudgingly agrees to take Rory golfing but they end up bonding and having a wonderful time.  "Mr. Neville likes all things frilly." "Good G-d. He's my broker." "I don't think one will affect the other."  (KMN)

17.  Emily advises Rory on dealing with her "fellow prisoners" her first day of community service.  She gives Rory a pack of cigarettes - "It's currency to these people" - and tells her to leave her fight face at home.  (Fight Face)

18.  Richard has a man-to-man talk with Logan after the LDB's 'give them back their balls!' prank on Rory.  Rory is waiting around the corner and we realize Logan has been punk'd.  Richard offers to take care of Paris next if need be.  "Ah, I do love this place." "Right back at you, Grandpa."

19.  Richard & Emily sing to Rory at her graduation from Yale.  "You'll make us proud, we'll sing it loud. (It’s true!) 'Cause now, Rory, you're a Bulldog through and through."  (UTB)

20.  Richard & Emily realize it's okay to be excited Rory's going to Yale.  "I'm getting the champagne!" "I'm calling the Talbotts." "Oh, make sure you gloat over that dimwitted son of theirs who couldn’t even get into Brown."  They double hug Rory before running off again.  (HBB)

21.  Emily finds Rory in the kitchen after the Gilmore v. Hayden showdown at FND.  She starts out politely defending Straub's character but quickly gives up.  "Oh let's face it, he's a big ass."  (Christopher Returns)

22.  Emily calls Rory to find out her likes and dislikes, so she can redecorate a room at their house for her.  She wants to hang a poster on the wall.  "What about that other group? The Backside Boys?"  (EiW)

23.  Emily & Rory travel across Europe.  Rory plans to go out on her own while Emily's napping.  "It's all cultural stuff, I promise. Just kind of faster and funkier." "Well, go enjoy your funk."  (AMNM)

24.  Rory, still upset about her breakup with Dean, has to escape Stars Hollow for a while and runs away to the elder Gilmores'.  Emily jumps into loving caregiver mode, Richard is glad she interrupted their plans for the evening.  "Richard, say something encouraging." "Uh, Rory, I'm sorry you're upset, but I applaud your timing."  (P.S. I Lo...)

25.  Richard apologizes - again - for being so harsh on Dean at dinner.  "We'd never had a fight." "No." "This was our first one." "Yes, it was." "And I must say, I didn't care for it." "Neither did I."  (Hammers & Veils)

26.  Rory helps Richard tie his bowtie as they prepare for Gran's funeral.  She offers to do the eulogy if he needs her to step in.  "I thank you for your offer, but this is my responsibility. I will be fine." "I'm sure you will." "However, if something happens, and I find myself, let us say, a tad more emotional than I would like --" "I got your back, Grandpa."  (The Reigning Lorelai)

27.  Rory and Lorelai decide to each work on one grandparent during Emily & Richard's estrangement.  Rory tackles Richard.  "It's good to shake things up every now and then -- you know, put a little paint on the house, move the furniture around the den, go blonde -- but after you've done all that, it can also be nice to go back to something that's comfortable, something you've depended on for, let's say, 40 years. I mean, if something's been around that long, it must be for a reason, right?"  (Emily Says Hello)

28.  Emily "drops by" while Rory is packing up from Yale at semester end.  She introduces Rory to the son of a friend and then leaves them to get to know each other.  "Okay, well, lesson number one -- when your mom, or your grandmother, starts trying to pin down your specific whereabouts at a specific time and place, and she's smiling kind of weird, begin evasive maneuvers immediately." "Got caught in that one myself."  (LWF,TWT)

29.  Emily drops Rory off after their Europe excursion.  She doesn't let Lorelai hug her - "I smell like an airplane" - but Rory is not to be rebuffed that easily.  "Oh, I can take it."  (AMNM)

30.  Rory comes down for breakfast after spending the night at the elder Gilmores'.  Emily offers eggs, fruit, toast, pancakes, blintzes but Rory says she usually just grabs a pop-tart.  "That sounds delicious. I'll have Rosa whip one up for you."  Richard's reading the newspaper.  The world's going to hell in a handbasket.  "It's nice to have something you can always count on."  (P.S. I Lo...)

Aw, 17 out so soon?  I know Emily is being so WASPy here but that whole scene cracks me up.  It's like Lorelai with the bread and water, only Emily doesn't realize she's being ridiculous.  Heh.  11 and 13 also out.  Still voting against three.

4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Aw, 17 out so soon?  I know Emily is being so WASPy here but that whole scene cracks me up.  It's like Lorelai with the bread and water, only Emily doesn't realize she's being ridiculous.

Seventeen was probably one of my top 5 on this list! It cracks me up every time. Oh well, I'm used to having much different choices than the others at this point. 

14, 16, 27

• Love 1

7, 9, 19 out!  Still voting against three.

23, 27, 29 out.  Still three.

@lulu1960 you voted twice, which for some reason is cracking me up.  >_<  You must really dislike these.  Good news for you, because 5, 22, and 28 are outta here!

(Aw man, first I have to let go of Emily instructing Rory to leave her fight face at home, and now the Backside Boys are gone?  *sad*)