Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Hurricane

Is this possibly a slow beginning of an self-destructive arc for Scarlett?  Every time her career starts actually going somewhere she behaves like it's the worst thing in the world.  Considering her mother, it would make sense for Scarlett to have some kind of "I'm not worthy of success" baggage to carry; but there is subtle and then there is your fans have no clue where you are going with this.  I have always thought that most of these people should have a therapist on retainer and definitely should have one who tours with them.  Maybe I've just forgotten how careful, methodical storylines are built.  I only watch two shows and the other one is known for a surprise reveal in every episode. : /

• Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, seewillrun said:

Is this possibly a slow beginning of an self-destructive arc for Scarlett?  Every time her career starts actually going somewhere she behaves like it's the worst thing in the world.  Considering her mother, it would make sense for Scarlett to have some kind of "I'm not worthy of success" baggage to carry; but there is subtle and then there is your fans have no clue where you are going with this. 

I'm starting to think this, as well, the fact that she's having romantic feelings for Damian is a red flag, and certainly indicative that she is not on even footing mentally. My viewership the first three seasons was choppy, her mother was abusive, yes?

4 hours ago, RealFantasies said:

I'm starting to think this, as well, the fact that she's having romantic feelings for Damian is a red flag, and certainly indicative that she is not on even footing mentally. My viewership the first three seasons was choppy, her mother was abusive, yes?

Yes her mother was abusive.

• Love 1

While Gunnar seems to genuinely love Scarlett, it's hard for me to tell with her if she even remotely likes him. 

I sometimes wonder, too, if she even likes Gunnar and, at this point, why he would want to be with her.  Gunnar is like a big, cheerful, golden retriever type of guy and Scarlett is just a perpetual sad sack.  His happiness and joy in how well things are going toward achieving his dream probably bugs the crap out of her because she's so constantly unhappy with everything, doesn't know what she wants and really isn't enjoying a music career.  So, she may (consciously or unconsciously)  be trying to knock him off of his cloud 9 and bring him down in the dumps with her.  Misery does love company.  Also, with Scarlett I keep getting a "I don't want you but I don't want you to be with anyone else, either" vibe when it comes to Gunnar. 

That pretty much sums it up. This retcon that Gunnar was unfaithful with half the women in town reflects the truth only in that Scarlett seemed to still consider it a betrayal despite the fact that they weren't together and she was regularly rejecting him.

Frankly Gunnar's a much better character when he's not enthralled with her. He's dopey, sure, but compared to her tortured snowflake routine it's refreshing.

• Love 2
On 10.2.2017. at 2:21 PM, luna1122 said:

I could NOT care less about Scarlett and Gunnar at this point, especially since they've completely revised the history we all saw to make Gunnar a bad boy who treated Scarlett terribly. And I completely loathe the whole 'this guy is an emotionally abusive dick but he taught me more about myself than I'd ever known before' bullshit with the storyline. I also truly wanted to smack Scarlett for 'Ima tell you something about having feelings for another guy but you can't react' conversation. That was ridiculous. As was Hoda's convenient question: 'So Scarlett, did the making of this video CHANGE you?'....what an inorganic, weird interview query just to push the story.

No Avery means it's never going to be the best episode.

On 13.2.2017. at 7:57 PM, Lady Calypso said:

But they are still more functional than Scarlett/Gunnar, who's far from being any type of Rayna/Deacon 2.0. Mostly because Gunnar is not the bad guy Scarlett and the show are making him out to be this season. Gunnar and Scarlett got together under the worst circumstances through Gunnar's period of grief. Scarlett is not this innocent, naive girl like they're making her out to be either. I'm more annoyed by her antics now. 

I used to be intrigued by Scarlett/Gunnar getting back together under better conditions but it really looks like it's for the best if these two never, ever, ever get back together. Gunnar deserves better, of all people. And once upon a time, I thought that Gunnar wasn't that great. He just needs to go hang out with Will, continue living with him, and Gunnar can go find himself another woman who appreciates him. While Gunnar seems to genuinely love Scarlett, it's hard for me to tell with her if she even remotely likes him. 

I agree with both posts and in general with everybody regarding this topic. Gunnar is not that much of a bad guy and to me, he redeemed himself a long time ago. He clearly cares for Scarlett and genuinely wants their relationship to work out. I was happy that they finally ended up together on the last season, only because their drama was getting tiring and didn't made sense.

On the other hand, this season, Scarlett is acting so miserable, like someone dragged her into the relationship against her will. I now want her to end this relationship, so I can finally see a happy Gunnar. I don't care what will happen to the band or to her. It's just becoming very frustrating to watch them and they are slowly, but surely, securing their spot next to Maddie, who is also awful.

That whole thing with the director is awful. First of all, what kind of message does it sends? That abusive behavior towards someone equals inspiration to find oneself? I just knew they would make her like him (possibly to keep up with that TV/movie trend). And for her, to have the audacity to say that to Gunnar and then, not only ask him to not have a reaction (is she serious? How come she was allowed to have reactions in their previous seasons and this one all the time?), but to forget about it (not to mention just because the guy is off to somewhere else). And then Gunnar's the one that needs to grow up? What Gunnar needs to do is leave her after this and go make an amazing album with Avery (and possibly Will).

I believe we see so much of Rayna because Connie is co-ex on the show, but I think they are convinced people are into Rayna/Deacon relationship more than they really are. I really don't care for them (especially since they're finally back together) and I appreciate that they're trying to make them a real couple by giving them obstacles, but I'm really not interested in them having the whole episode to themselves. We thought how the show wouldn't function without Rayna, but now I've realized that I can't appreciate the show without pairings of Avery and Juliette, as well as the bromance that Gunnar, Will and Avery had going on before. I would be happy if the show revolved around them and Rayna would come in here and there because she's their boss. Now, wouldn't that be nice?!

• Love 2