Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: With Friends Like These

I really can't stand Mary; I stopped liking her in S2. This episode has not improved my feelings toward her.  Mary is an idiot.  The way they're trying to frame the reason for Mary's Darnley interest (in order to make her look strong and badass) is laughable.  It's too bad Adelaide Kane only has one expression to convey complicated feelings; Rachel Skarsten's portrayal of Elizabeth is far superior. What the hell is wrong with Greer's hair?  She really looked like someone's poor relative. The French court wasn't very interesting and if Leith is really dead, at least Narcisse is still in the picture and pissed off about Lola.  Sadly, there are only two reasons I'm still watching Reign: (1) to see how they work their way into killing the QoS and (2) to keep saying fuck you to Sleepy Hollow.

Edited by taurusrose

A lot of my thoughts on this episode boiled down to, "Good Lord, a fourth Queen in all this?"

This was a bushel and a peck and a ton of exposition. Everyone was in fine form as far as I'm concerned, especially, as always, Catherine. Rachel's Elizabeth is looking stronger; Adelaide's Mary is...wavery. Which is fitting for the character, in a historical sense. She wasn't necessarily a stupid woman, but she had a knack for making very bad, absolutely catastrophic decisions.

Meanwhile I'm not sure how I feel about this whole Warrior Queen thing they're pushing with her (though I do find it amusing that she's just gotten to the point where she gives no fucks about personally maiming or killing anyone), nor am I sure about her new look. The fashion on this show has always been my guiltiest pleasure, and beautiful as she is, I'm not loving all the browns and busy patterns on Adelaide. I miss her colored and structured dresses, and I hope that it was only her hairstyle that made her hair look shorter. I really liked the long fall of hair she wore in France. I remember thinking in the beginning of the show that one of the ways Mary and her ladies distinguished themselves as Scottish at French court was with braids in their hair (poor Aylee's hair was nothing but braids over braids, and I remember for several episodes Mary wore one braid with I think gemstones to one side of her face), and they seem to be carrying that through to Mary's new style in Scotland. But I don't think it's as flattering as it could be.

I enjoyed Darnley looking like a little like a photo-negative of Francis; I didn't enjoy Leeza, mostly because she looked so unlike the actress chosen to play her in the pilot. It was very distracting to me.

The show has to play a tricky balancing game now: the bald facts are that it's one long, steady careen downhill from here for Mary (with the only possible short uptick being her giving birth to a son and heir). I've never appreciated the idea of Mary as a defenseless martyr; in many if not most ways she made her own bed. I can see the show trying now (somewhat belatedly) to really humanize Elizabeth, and I'd prefer to see her act like the real Elizabeth I, who actually worried constantly for Mary as well as about Mary. She knew very well that her cousin's death would set a very dangerous precedent for the execution for monarchs (which is why she waited so very long to kill Mary, trying to find some way around that), and from what I've read, in the few years that Mary held the throne of a rebellious Scotland, Elizabeth was fairly supportive of her, and was incensed at attempts (and the eventual success) to dethrone Mary.

I'm looking forward to seeing Rizzio and Bothwell. I'm hoping to see absolutely nothing of Robert Dudley; I felt like he was nothing but a drag on Elizabeth's storylines last year.

• Love 1

I swear Pink that you and I share a brain when it comes to this show! I was thinking not only do we have another stinkin queen she's homely as well. My bad, I can't help it. I too am hating the costumes for Mary. Good grief they look like burlap to me. I am going to be so upset if Leith is really gone because I love him with Claude. Catherine is so much fun to watch. Also, did anyone notice that terrible green screen when they were in the woods of northern Scotland? It's not bad enough that they yanked the show they had to go elcheapo on the budget. 

• Love 1

I don't mind Mary's wardrobe; I find so many of the dresses unappealing anyway so I'm ok with simpler dresses, although I liked Elizabeth's green dress.

Personally I like AK's performance better than RS', but imo both of their performances can be hit or miss.

How many episodes are there this season? It felt like everyone was trying to get out their lines as fast as possible.

I found both Lennox and Leeza not great casting. (and really, "Leeza"? I guess they didn't want two Elizabeths around but how about Lise? Or Eliza? Or Bette?) I did like the moment though where Leeza said, "was this you?" to Catherine.

And my favorite moment was "act shocked!"

She knew very well that her cousin's death would set a very dangerous precedent for the execution for monarchs

Yes, but she was also worried she would be blamed.

I found both Lennox and Leeza not great casting. (and really, "Leeza"? I guess they didn't want two Elizabeths around but how about Lise? Or Eliza? Or Bette?) I did like the moment though where Leeza said, "was this you?" to Catherine.

And my favorite moment was "act shocked!"

Ugh Leeza?!?! Really Reign? They couldn't go with Isabel or Elisabet.

I loved the "act shocked" "I am shocked" "Even better" exchange to be hilarious.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I loved that right after James and all his men were like "Roar!  Let's go rescue the queen!!" Mary just casually trots into view.  You can see the influence of Catherine with how Mary dealt with both the Gordons and her brother, and it warms my Mary/Catherine-loving heart.  

Also, James may be getting more and more frustrated with his sister but it hasn't seemed to cut down on the lusty glances he throws her way.  I did appreciate Greer being fairly nonchalant after interrupting James' 3-way.  After being a madam it is old hat to her after all.

I thought it was quite sweet that Catherine took care of what's his face so Claude wouldn't have the guilt to deal with.  

• Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 3:46 PM, megsara said:

I thought it was quite sweet that Catherine took care of what's his face so Claude wouldn't have the guilt to deal with.  

You gotta love Catherine's version of sweet, heh.

• Love 1