Type keyword(s) to search

Palimpsest: Novel vs. Show

• Start Topic

I mean, maybe, but I really haven't seen the show as an intensely accurate depiction of the first book. I thought Atwood was essentially staking her claim on the ending by finally writing the sequel, just to really reiterate her view that a Gilead like society is unsustainable and will fall.

I think the show will attempt to follow the books - agree that its mostly the second book in question now - but tv shows have a tendency to go for flashy plots. If there's an actual invasion of Canada for example, thats a strong divergence from the book. Also the show has some plots of it's own that I greatly enjoy in their own right - Luke and Moira in Toronto, Commander Lawrence and his weird rebellion against what he created, Jeanine being a much more nuanced character than in the book. I don't see the show following the books that hard, but they are bringing some interesting tales to the 'verse. We'll see, I suppose.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I mean, maybe, but I really haven't seen the show as an intensely accurate depiction of the first book. I thought Atwood was essentially staking her claim on the ending by finally writing the sequel, just to really reiterate her view that a Gilead like society is unsustainable and will fall.

I think the show will attempt to follow the books - agree that its mostly the second book in question now - but tv shows have a tendency to go for flashy plots. If there's an actual invasion of Canada for example, thats a strong divergence from the book. Also the show has some plots of it's own that I greatly enjoy in their own right - Luke and Moira in Toronto, Commander Lawrence and his weird rebellion against what he created, Jeanine being a much more nuanced character than in the book. I don't see the show following the books that hard, but they are bringing some interesting tales to the 'verse. We'll see, I suppose.

Gilead doesn't have the man power to invade Canada.  They may keep the threat going, which causes Luke and Moira to take Nicole and go into hiding, since Nicole's return is the focus.  (which fits perfectly with the sequel, Nicole is raised by friends of her mother.)

I think we'll still see Commander Lawrence, that could fit in very well with Aunt Lydia's staying with the show, either against each other, or secretly working together, or in a battle for power, all works with the sequel.  (set up and back story of the sequel, not the entry of the daughters ready to fight.)   Instead of flashbacks we see all of it play out while the girls grow.

Gilead is brought down from within, not without.  June and the rest of the fighters all over the place bring it down.  Chicago, California, Texas, some mountain states.  I can't remember, do those few black people still alive growing crops rebel and join the fight when liberated too?  

So basically I'm saying we are in the flashback or back story part of Testaments so far this season.  Which hopefully would be good!  I'd love a Lydia reveal, or Lawrence going toe to toe with her.  

(edited)

If anyone doesn't want to actually read Testaments, but does want some explanation of things happening, or that may happen on the show?  There is a great synopsis chapter by chapter here, with all of the important information.

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/the-testaments/chapter-1-ardua-hall-holograph

ETA

There are also character pages, so, for example, if you want to know what Emily's role may be, or any other character in Testaments, you can find those here as well.  

Edited by Umbelina