Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Killing Zone

zxy556575

So everybody official  still thinks Swagger is dead? For a major investigation the wife seems to break surveillance and make contact pretty easily. Even as an under-aged Vietnam veteran they are pushing the age on the Sergeant Major. Just like many action shows had to update to perhaps a dirty war in the 80s or a single Gulf War battle for the characters like the Tom Berenger Sniper movies.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode.  William Fichtner was great, and frankly, I would love to see his character pop up again.  I liked the episode for the fact that two guys were able to take out ten mercs and leave that smug CIA guy worried as hell.  

• Love 3
On 12/30/2016 at 10:33 AM, Bishop said:

My favorite as well.  I don't agree about Nadine as the breakout character of the show.  I like her, but she doesn't draw me into the story the way the husband/wife team of the Swaggers do.  I like that the wife is as savy as the husband.  Heck, even the daughter is smart.

I like the husband/wife team, but that's never going to be permanent (meaning crime fighting) and honestly in terms of breakout characters, Nadine is my personal favorite.  I like her better than Bob Lee sometimes, lol.  She easily outshone Epps, VS and Phillippe.  Definitely the breakout star of the show for me.

I started watching Shooter yesterday while I had the house to myself for a few hours.  Finally made myself go to bed a little after midnight, made it through 1x06.

Being a huge fan of the movie (seen it at least half a dozen times, probably more) and familiar with the book series, I'm really enjoying this incarnation.  I was hesitant at first - very hesitant - because I really hate it when shows/movies are recreated within such a short time of each other, but this is different enough from the movie that it doesn't feel like a retread, and it picks up enough elements from the books that it feels like they're trying to stay true to Bob Lee as a character while bringing the storyline into a more modern day setting.

I have a love/hate with the main antagonist being someone Bob Lee used to work with rather than an inside man who approached him out of the blue.  On the one hand, we're able to care about Johnson way more than we would if he was a stranger (and maybe even feel the tiniest bit sorry for him getting caught up in this, it looks like he was a really stand-up guy at one point) and on the other hand, it's all the more devastating for Bob Lee.  Since I'm binge watching, I don't remember which episode it was where Johnson strangled Donnie's mother, but wow that was so powerfully done.  "My son will never forgive you for this."  Slam.

I do miss the occasional humor from the movie (the deleted scene where Bob Lee and Nick are shopping for supplies slays me - "I'm surprised PawPaw let me marry your sister." "Oh we all are, trust me.") but overall I'm enjoying the tone.  I like that Bob Lee sometimes just screws up, you can tell he's making this all up as he goes along and is faced with new situations, but at the same time there's times when it feels like he's a little too bumbling to be one of the world's deadliest and sharpest minds.

Looking forward to the rest of the season!

• Love 1