Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Overwatch

paigow

I am really enjoying this show.  Quite an intense episode-if they want me to hate Isaac, they are doing a good job...oh, and also hate the CIA guys.  I really liked the background story in Afghanistan.  Full disclosure: my nephew is a Marine trained scout sniper who served two tours of duty in Iraq and one in Afghanistan (which was really intense).  So I enjoy this glimpse (albeit fictional) into the Marine background.

• Love 3

This is becoming too convoluted. The CIA set up Captain Johnson to be killed so he joins the conspiracy? That he and his wife speak Chinese to each other can't just be thrown in for nothing. So we have Americans, Russians and now probably Chinese all wanting the Ukrainian President dead.

Yeah, no. I wasn't aware that I'd be expected to care about gobs of personal flashbacks to Afghanistan. I deleted the episode halfway through so from now on, that part of the story will be "blah, blah conspiracy whatever" to me.

I'm watching to see how Bob Lee survives and how he goes about investigating/exposing those who framed him. The whys of how we got here are of no interest. (I mean, okay a couple of pages of exposition but not almost an entire episode.)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Raja said:

This is becoming too convoluted. The CIA set up Captain Johnson to be killed so he joins the conspiracy? That he and his wife speak Chinese to each other can't just be thrown in for nothing. So we have Americans, Russians and now probably Chinese all wanting the Ukrainian President dead.

Johnson: OK, so I married a mole...you gonna shoot me for that?

Swagger: I got a lot of reasons, but yeah...it's on the list

On 12/8/2016 at 10:18 PM, bychance said:

I was worried I wouldn't like this episode because it seemed flashback heavy (seemed too early for that kind of episode) but it turned out great. Very consistent show.

Flashbacks work when they are compelling...like Arrow S1...hope the flashback to Donnie getting killed has exposition value. Swagger is going to torture these guys before killing them when he finds out about Donnie's mom....

On 12/6/2016 at 7:27 PM, paigow said:

Bob Lee plans moves; Isaac ties up loose ends; Nadine investigates the Ukrainian connection, which places her on the conspirators' radar.

I love Nadine although at times it was stupid things people do in a horror movie. She can smell stink on poop and still tries to work the guy for information. Trust a guy from another agency in a case where you are almost 100% certain there is a big conspiracy? She should've played dumb a little longer, she got too aggressive.

And yes when I saw the early flashbacks I was thinking time filling compartmentalized epi and was pleasantly surprised it was another regular epi.

The plot is starting to look spy movie cliche/contrived. But the story and characters seem to be moving. It was sad to see the spotter's mother killed in such a manner. If he's burying a body in the woods cause of death doesn't matter. I guess they were trying to show a kinder gentler side. That scratch on his neck will probably come back as his wife in general. Most scenes have purpose.

The final fight scene trying to kill Nadine was almost mustache twirling villain which allowed Swagger to save the day.

Still liking the show for me it is the pleasant surprise of the fall.

4 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

Still liking the show for me it is the pleasant surprise of the fall.

It's turning out to be better than I had hoped, given that this is the third time around, for me.  I'm still managing to enjoy it quite a bit.  The basic story line has been retained, but there are sufficient changes and re-directions that I can still wonder what will happen next.

ETA:  Don't see how this can go more than one season, though...

Edited by Netfoot

Johnson and his wife speaking Chinese to each other seemed weird.  I'm not sure I'm going to care about adding some kind of Chinese plot to the mix.

I suspect that Bob Lee's wife telling her sister that Bob Lee is alive will not have a good outcome.   

1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

Johnson and his wife speaking Chinese to each other seemed weird.  I'm not sure I'm going to care about adding some kind of Chinese plot to the mix.

I suspect that Bob Lee's wife telling her sister that Bob Lee is alive will not have a good outcome.   

I'd agree re: the sister if the fight at the end didn't happen. It's not like they can hide his non-death now. 

I'm really enjoying this show. Much more than I thought I would.

Edited by TimetoShine

I find it interesting that Bob Lee's "death" isn't a continuing ploy.  His wife and daughter and Nadine knew at the end of episode where he first set it up.  The end of this episode all the bad guys know and so does Bob Lee's sister-in-law.  From the looks of the preview, even more people are going to know Bob Lee isn't dead.  Of course, everyone who knows seems to have a vested interest in keeping that information secret, so Bob Lee should be able to buy things without getting the cops called on him all the time.  

I really think that having Isaac kill the mother was a serious mistake.  Meachum said that if Isaac wouldn't do it they could always send in Payne -- which seems like it would have been infinitely better.  Isaac strangles her and buries her body (and his DNA) in a shallow grave?  Yeah, no way that's not going to be an issue later.  Payne definitely the guy you want on clean-up duty -- Memphis would have been a suicide if not for Bob Lee.

And once again we see that while Bob Lee is the best sniper ever but although he may be damn good at hand-to-hand, he's still outmatched by a lot of the people after him.

I seem to be in the minority, in that I really was looking forward to the the flashbacks in this episode.  And I am really hoping that we get some more of them.  Not so much for Bob Lee, but for Isaac and for the rest of the conspiracy.  They did a great job of working the flashbacks into the episode while keeping the current storyline going, so they can do it.  There's quite a few balls in the air right now and I'm excited to see how they handle them all.