Type keyword(s) to search

Window Warriors - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love my non-singing/dancing reality show competitions, so this looks to be a fun ride. While Mr. Pink's window was some very nice, thought provoking art, it failed miserably at selling the merchandise.  Loved the top two. Mr. Mom's window was so bland for all his fabulous flowers. Also lovely to see Carson is alive after his Queer Eye days.

I can't imagine how hellacious it was to work in those spaces with the all-pervasive smell of Lush products. You can smell the store half a block away and I cannot even go in there without feeling sick! I will never understand the attraction of their products. Nice that they are anti-animal cruelty, I guess that does not include humans.

There were some great windows and Tara's was really lovely. I was so sorry Shani couldn't finish her window and let that asshat Spenser skate by again.

Walking through the mall last week, I saw a poster for this show.   So glad I did. 

Love seeing Carson Kressley.   Impressed with the other male judge (Doug?)  --  the show hired a true professional!  

The talent has been amazing. I preferred Edward's and Timothy's windows to Tara's, but it was obvious that the Lush client adored the roots theme.  Hate that they are keeping the crazy, but by now I'm used to that.

Shani's window looked so beautiful in the design phase. I'm surprised she just didn't make a wall of duct tape to hold the product on. She used it to hold them on from the outside, so there's little reason they wouldn't have held the other way. Heck, that stuff holds the world together. Even hot glue would probably have worked better than whatever adhesive she used.

Spencer continues to be the weird one of the bunch. Again, less thoughtful art, more product promotion.

Also wasn't happy with them announcing the losers before the winners. It just made it even more awkward for the bottom two. I also wish they would show a brief snippet of the winning/losing window when they announce who won/lost. As much as I enjoy the show, I usually forget what they've done relatively quickly, especially with so many contestants.

The advantage for winning the previous challenge was nice. I wonder if that's the what they'll do for from here on out. So for next week, the winner will get to chose her teammate, assign all the teams, or choose the product again. I wonder if they'll ever grant immunity from going home?

Speaking of teams, I'm not looking forward team challenges at all. I realize teams are a necessary part of work usually, but it seems sort of unfair in a reality competition that doesn't have teams from the beginning.

When I saw the lead up to this show, it was the LUSH windows I was most looking to. And I wasn't disappointed. I loved Tara's window so I was pleasantly surprised that she got to have it go into an actual store. 

Felt so bad for Shani. I loved what she did last week. I don't get it. She was top 2 last week, shouldn't that have given her a week pass? Especially when Spenser hits the bottom 2? Obviously the judges are in love with his creativity but I'm sad I won't get to see Shani do another window. I really don't care to see another one of Spenser's.

I will never understand why they would have designers team up. Does that ever happen out in real life? How are they supposed to be judged on the criteria if they don't have full artistic control?

Just watched the Hot Topic episode.  Timothy's bathroom window was amazing.  I don't understand how he wasn't awarded the win in spite of his partner.   And from the winning team, I thought Erin worked far harder and did more than Spencer.  Tim for the win!

This show is such a guilty pleasure -- glad I'm watching.

• Love 3

I don't think Spencer is a window designer. He seems like a visual artist who got recruited for "edginess" and is now struggling with the idea that he's supposed to be making literal advertisements.

• Love 3

Happy that Spencer is gone.  Feel sorry for his partner Kate (?).  Must be hard to live with him.  I thought Timothy's window looked good from a distance.  Up close, yes Omeletsmom, it did kind of look like a pile of garbage after a beer pong tournament.  Would Edward have won if he had been able to install the light that highlighted the dress?  I hope this show comes back - really love this show.

• Love 1

I think they will have the same problem as Face Off, only moreso....a lack of adequately skilled contestants.   I can't imagine there's a large pool of window dressers.

I thought it was odd the mall operators were offering a contract to the winner.  Don't the individual stores hire their own window dressers?

I don't know how she's doing these days, but Valerie Harper should have been involved in this...even if just as a guest judge.    

• Love 1

I have disliked Spencer from the beginning of the show, yet feel he was robbed last night.   His window was far too dark, but Tara was missing the dang shoes and her plaid garbage bags looked terrible.   The star of her window was the schnauzer.   In fact, I would walk by assuming the store sold pet supplies, not the outfit.  The colored string/ yarn was completely uneven  and didn't look good at all.  She really should have been the one to go.

Edward really did have the best window.  Sure it's been done before, but the tree and the bedazzled died leaves were perfect.

If I had been Timothy, I would have spray painted the cups blue to make the blue triangles in the dress pop more.

And which ever judge suggested not painting the moon sculptures, but using them as a light was a genius.  That would have been amazing.

So happy Spenser's gone. His final comments made it clear that he still just doesn't get it. I wish him a great career working with brands who fit with his sensibilities.

I also think they keep hoping that Tara learns more about time management. Her LUSH window is still one of my favourites of the whole thing. She may just be one of those people that needs to always work with a partner who can do the major elements so she can focus on the detail work she does so well.

I really think Timothy's going to win this thing. Edward's window was beautiful but I loved the cascade idea in Timothy's. Both were really great.

Happy that Timothy won - wish I could have gone to NYC to see his windows!  I can't believe how horrible the one woman designer acted (Erin?).  Part of being an adult is to be gracious whether you win or lose.

• Love 2

I thought all of the final windows were kind of meh.  Timothy's inflatable window was so crowded the product got lost.  Tara's story was obscure and she hid that throw.  Edward's were just boring, though I thought the door and the steps were a clever way to bring the customers into the windows.

Boy, Erin was a bitch last night.  She is not going to win herself any clients with that attitude.  Do these people forget that they are on television?

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 1

Two of the three designers in that finale wowed me -- Edward and Timothy put together fun windows that were brand focused.  Personally, I would have preferred the third designer be either Spenser (crazy ideas) or Erin (actual window knowledge).   Maybe I just disliked Tara's constant borrowing or lack of completion or sloppy details, but I don't think she should have been a finalist.  

Remember that we don't see the full process, only the production edit.   Erin may have been made to be a villain to give Tara a more charming storyline.  Only those there truly know.  I think she was probably aloof, but who really knows.

The right designer won but Edward made it much closer than I thought it would be at the beginning of the series. Loved the door and trees linking the two windows together. But I agree with the shoppers - I loved the window full of blow up lawn ornaments. That was the true definition of whimsy and I do wish he had carried it through both windows.

When Erin was paired with Tara, I thought it would great. Using Erin's planning skills would address the deficit in that Tara has. I think that situation might had been handled better by both of them. I do think that Erin was probably edited to look more resistant than she probably actually was. It would have said a lot about Tara if she could have brought Erin on board. Speak to Erin's strengths off the top, apologize for the incident that had bothered her so badly, and make her feel appreciated rather than tolerated would have gone a long way. That's essentially what Edward did with Spenser.

Love the NY window and it was nice to see the other designers there during the unveiling. I would have liked a couple of more minutes with them at the end - it felt rushed.

All and all, a good first season. Looking forward to the next one.

On 12/14/2016 at 7:47 PM, Maverick said:

I thought it was odd the mall operators were offering a contract to the winner.  Don't the individual stores hire their own window dressers? 

Don't large malls have windows at the entrances and stand alone displays inside that they cycle with products from different stores? That was what I was assuming was being offered.