Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three: Hey! Cybill Shepherd is Shawn's Mom!

GHScorpiosRule

So, we finally got to meet who will be playing Shawn's mom.  And you know what? She didn't deserve all that loyalty Shawn gave her, when we learn that she left him and Henry. Though I wonder if they knew this in the pilot since Shawn's first words to Henry was he was with her, to "put her life back together again."  And it's clear, more and more, that Henry was the ONE constant and influence in Shawn's young life. Shawn is who he is, not because of his mother, but because of his father, who was tough on him, yes, but also loved and supported him, and it was clear to me, he looked up to Henry. Mom was such a non-entity. 

And eww. This is the season we are introduced to Abigail, who I loathed from the get go. It's not as if they dated in high school, and Shawn had a habit of breaking off dates or whatever that in the finale, she just assumed he was ditching her when he was trying to find "Mr. Yang" and acted as if he was doing this on purpose. And oh boy, that last scene with Juliet was painful, when she's asking him out on a date, and he tells her that her timing really sucks.

I've always wondered if Abigail overheard that conversation. The best thing was Gus popping in, munching on the popcorn--it was his car, after all!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, we finally got to meet who will be playing Shawn's mom.  And you know what? She didn't deserve all that loyalty Shawn gave her, when we learn that she left him and Henry. Though I wonder if they knew this in the pilot since Shawn's first words to Henry was he was with her, to "put her life back together again."  And it's clear, more and more, that Henry was the ONE constant and influence in Shawn's young life. Shawn is who he is, not because of his mother, but because of his father, who was tough on him, yes, but also loved and supported him, and it was clear to me, he looked up to Henry. Mom was such a non-entity. 

And eww. This is the season we are introduced to Abigail, who I loathed from the get go. It's not as if they dated in high school, and Shawn had a habit of breaking off dates or whatever that in the finale, she just assumed he was ditching her when he was trying to find "Mr. Yang" and acted as if he was doing this on purpose. And oh boy, that last scene with Juliet was painful, when she's asking him out on a date, and he tells her that her timing really sucks.

I've always wondered if Abigail overheard that conversation. The best thing was Gus popping in, munching on the popcorn--it was his car, after all!

They messed up with Shawn's mom. Watching the flashbacks with Henry and little Shawn, the mom really isn't missing at all. They could have gone with her dying when Shawn was really young or something. There really was no point to adding her to the show and she really was never needed.   

• Love 1

So I'm watching season three on ION right now, and just finished with "Disco Didn't DIE, It Was Murdered," and three things:

• I love the 70s jargon that Gus and Shawn use when talking with each other;
  • I love how Shawn uses the same jargon when explaining his vision; and
  • James Roday has a real nice butt.?? He filled out those ? really niiiicely, you dig??
  • Love 3
On 11/26/2016 at 1:07 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I'm watching season three on ION right now, and just finished with "Disco Didn't DIE, It Was Murdered," and three things:

• I love the 70s jargon that Gus and Shawn use when talking with each other;
  • I love how Shawn uses the same jargon when explaining his vision; and
  • James Roday has a real nice butt.?? He filled out those ? really niiiicely, you dig??

I love that one solely to watch Shawn try to slide across the car, and for the guys walking around in 70's gear. 

• Love 1
On 12/16/2016 at 4:11 PM, Raingirlkm said:

That one had me practically on the floor, especially Shawn's failed attempt to slide across the hood of the car and Gus' walk after driving said car.

Loved the head bobbing Gus was doing while driving the car to the tune of "Workin' At the Carwash." Comedy gold.

• Love 2

Aw, I liked Abigail. I mean, I knew she was just a temporary love interest so I didn't actually care about her, but she was a sweet girl, and I could believe Shawn liked her. I never liked Cybill Shepherd as Shawn's mom, and at least part of this is because I envisioned her as Mercedes Ruehl beforehand, even though she had already played a different character on the show. I wanted someone who had some of Shawn's humor. Cybill comes off as a kind of a jerk and even with Shawn's issues and immaturity, I can never understand how he felt Henry was the one to leave. 

I just scrolled through the IMDB page for season 3 and smiled just looking at it. So many great episodes and moments in this season, from the silly to the serious - Shawn playing professional football, Shawn stopping the dying daredevil from killing himself onstage, "Gus is in there!", every single moment of "The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable." Really a great season.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Aw, I liked Abigail. I mean, I knew she was just a temporary love interest so I didn't actually care about her, but she was a sweet girl, and I could believe Shawn liked her.

I didn't mind Abigail, I knew she probably wasn't permanent and I liked their bonding over '80s movies. ::shrugs:: 

17 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I never liked Cybill Shepherd as Shawn's mom, and at least part of this is because I envisioned her as Mercedes Ruehl beforehand, even though she had already played a different character on the show. I wanted someone who had some of Shawn's humor. Cybill comes off as a kind of a jerk and even with Shawn's issues and immaturity, I can never understand how he felt Henry was the one to leave. 

Cybill Shepard, however, I never could warm up to her as Shawn's mother. And, I was really, really looking forward to meeting Shawn's mother. I think you're right that it might be the humor that comes off wrong? I really can't put my finger on it, but it just never worked for me.

• Love 1

I really didn't think the show needed Shawn's mom. I mean so much of the show was showing Shawn and Henry's relationship that she really wasn't needed. I'm not sure if it would be easy to explain where she's been all this time and why wasn't she objecting to Henry trying to turn Shawn into a cop. It would make more sense that she was dead and the flashbacks we saw were all after his mother died. That could have easily added to the issues. But what we saw? She had no humor or warmth. I really couldn't figure out what Henry saw in her or Shawn for that matter. Shawn acted like she was this great person but we never saw that.  When Henry and Madeline hooked up again? I really can't think of two who had less chemistry then they did.

• Love 2