Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: The Blind Auditions, Part 3

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Based purely from watching clips on youtube...this was another quintessential Voice one hour blind audition episode.

A couple of coaches grab somebody who will be almost certainly a battle loser (Lane, and the Como la Flor singer). We meet one person who might be in this for a while....Josh (although with Team Alicia maybe becoming a freaking murderers row, I'd definitely be watching if Josh comes available for Blake/Adam to steal).

Then you've got Bindi and Karlee....marginally interesting, probably middle of the pack singers who will both do really well to make it to Top 20 or Top 12 week...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Team Adam
Riley Elmore (2)
Andrew DeMuro (2)
Billy Gilman (4)
Brendan Fletcher (3)
Bindi Liebowitz (2)
Elia Esparza (3)

Team Miley
Courtnie Ramirez (2)
Ali Caldwell (4)
Sa'Rayah (2)
Sophia Urista (2)
Lane Mack (1)
Karlee Metzger (2)

Team Alicia
Jason Warrior (2)
Dave Moisan (4)
Christian Cuevas (3)
Wé McDonald (4)
Lauren Diaz (3)
Josh Halverson (3)

Team Blake
Sundance Head (2)
Dana Harper (3)
Gabe Broussard (2)
Ethan Tucker (2)
Dan Shafer (1)

Names in bold indicate artists who have been newly added to a team.  Numbers in parentheses represent the number of chair turns.  An asterisk indicates that this artist was montaged.

Edited by Jabu
  • Love 2

Gotta say I'm impressed that there've been no montages so far.  Could NBC finally be getting the picture that we don't care for them?  Everyone who's gotten at least one chair turn has been seen thus far!

So tonight's artists:

Bindi Liebowitz: Decent voice, but I will shocked if she gets to the Knockouts.  Adam was probably the right choice based on the two available for her, but I get the feeling she wanted Alicia to turn.

Zack Hicks: I thought his voice was beautiful.  But Alicia had it right.  Too much vibrato in it.  That probably contirbuted to no one turning.  Hope he works on that and comes back, because he was interesting to me.

Elia Esparza: Damn it, Elia.  I'm from El Paso just like you are!  I wanna root for the hometown girl!  But you're wasting yourself on fucking Adam?!  WTF?!  That said, I liked the audition.  The all-Spanish song was risky, but refreshing, as Adam said.  I really think Miley would've been a better fit for her.  She'd better hope Adam doesn't dump her as soon as he decides he's done with her.

Lane Mack: Okay voice, but one-chair-turns rarely make it far.  I'll be surprised if Miley takes him to the Knockouts.  But it's good that she finally has a guy on her team.

Karlee Metzger: Loved her voice.  Can't believe Blake and Miley waited till it was almost too late to go for her.  Of the two, though, Miley made more sense for her.

Josh Halverson: Something about him reminds me of Gabriel Wolfchild from season eight.  But I like the guy and hope he does well.  With Alicia's team looking so stacked, though, I wonder if there's any hope for him to get to the Knockouts while still on her team?

• Love 2

1. Did not like Captain Hook. Or Josh. Or whatever his name was. Did nothing for me.

2. Karlee - hohum for me. I knew Blake would turn, though. He likes those indie "Dia" types.

3. Loved Zack Hicks and sorry no one turned for him. True, he did not do enough with that song, but I thought he had potential, and I'd take him over Karlee any day.

4. Liked Elia. But as a point of correction, I don't think she's the first to do Spanish (or any foreign language), although she is the first, I think, to do only Spanish, no English. I think Chris Mann auditioned with an English/Spanish song, and I think another female contestant in Shakira's season also did. Sadly, what typically happens is that as soon as the contestant is on a team, they're given English-only songs, even though part of what sold that contestant in the first place was the "foreign language" aspect. 

14 hours ago, adhoc said:

4. Liked Elia. But as a point of correction, I don't think she's the first to do Spanish (or any foreign language), although she is the first, I think, to do only Spanish, no English. I think Chris Mann auditioned with an English/Spanish song, and I think another female contestant in Shakira's season also did. Sadly, what typically happens is that as soon as the contestant is on a team, they're given English-only songs, even though part of what sold that contestant in the first place was the "foreign language" aspect. 

In Season 3, Mariachi singer Julio Cesar Castillo did an acceptable version of La Bamba in his blind audition (followed by a part of El Rey at the request of the coaches).  Unfortunately he was pretty bad once he switched to English in both the battle and knockout rounds, despite which Blake carried him all the way to the Live Playoffs in two of the worst decisions ever made by a coach (his opponent in the knockouts, 15 year old MarissaAnn, did perhaps the best version of Lady Marmalade ever done on The Voice.  She got a standing ovation from Xtina and raves from both Adam & Ceelo, all of whom were visibly stunned at Blake choosing to go with Julio Cesar.  There was a lot of speculation at the time that Blake was trying to clear the way for Terry McDermott and Cassadee Pope to make the live shows). 

In the Season 4 blind auditions, Cathia did No Me Doy Por Vencido entirely in Spanish, while Monique Abbadie did Loca in English & Spanish.  Then in the battle round, Cathia and Mary did Antes de las Seis entirely in Spanish.  I always felt Cathia got voted out a little too early that season after getting stuck with I Have Nothing in the Live Playoffs.

As for this episode, I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the contestants.  They all seemed like fodder.

6 minutes ago, viajero said:

Unfortunately he was pretty bad once he switched to English in both the battle and knockout rounds, despite which Blake carried him all the way to the Live Playoffs in two of the worst decisions ever made by a coach (his opponent in the knockouts, 15 year old MarissaAnn, did perhaps the best version of Lady Marmalade ever done on The Voice.  She got a standing ovation from Xtina and raves from both Adam & Ceelo, all of whom were visibly stunned at Blake choosing to go with Julio Cesar.  There was a lot of speculation at the time that Blake was trying to clear the way for Terry McDermott and Cassadee Pope to make the live shows).

Honestly asking this, @viajero.  Worse than Gwen's decision to dump her only four-chair-turn and possibly strongest singer, Lyndsey Elm, in favor of fucking Braiden Sunshine two seasons ago?

Oh, The Voice just has so many many Asian singers!  Why not just montage another one who makes it through the auditions?  Surely Cooper could have been "sacrificed" to be able to listen to someone who actually got chosen.

2 hours ago, Michel said:

Honestly asking this, @viajero.  Worse than Gwen's decision to dump her only four-chair-turn and possibly strongest singer, Lyndsey Elm, in favor of fucking Braiden Sunshine two seasons ago?

I agree that was pretty bad, particularly when it comes to overall strategy going forward.  But when it comes down to head to head performances on the day, I still think the difference between MarissaAnn and Julio Cesar was greater.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, viajero said:

I agree that was pretty bad, particularly when it comes to overall strategy going forward.  But when it comes down to head to head performances on the day, I still think the difference between MarissaAnn and Julio Cesar was greater.

I don't know, @viajero.  At least Blake still won that season in spite of that.  In the case of my example, Gwen pretty much sacked her best chance at winning before season nine's Knockouts even arrived!  In your example, it sounds like only Adam, Ceelo, and Christina really reacted.  In mine, not only did Adam, Blake, and Pharrell look at Gwen like she was stupid (according to someone who'd actually attended the taping), but almost the entire studio audience was buzzing negatively about her choice.  That . . . that would have to be worse, I'd think.

Edited by Michel
On 9/27/2016 at 10:25 PM, viajero said:

In Season 3, Mariachi singer Julio Cesar Castillo did an acceptable version of La Bamba in his blind audition (followed by a part of El Rey at the request of the coaches).  Unfortunately he was pretty bad once he switched to English in both the battle and knockout rounds, despite which Blake carried him all the way to the Live Playoffs in two of the worst decisions ever made by a coach (his opponent in the knockouts, 15 year old MarissaAnn, did perhaps the best version of Lady Marmalade ever done on The Voice.  She got a standing ovation from Xtina and raves from both Adam & Ceelo, all of whom were visibly stunned at Blake choosing to go with Julio Cesar.  

How do you guys remember this stuff?  I have watched every season except season 1, and can barely remember yesterday's breakfast, not to mention the intricacies of a knockout round 8 seasons ago.  Maybe dementia is closer than I realize......:)

On 9/27/2016 at 11:34 PM, Padma said:

Oh, The Voice just has so many many Asian singers!  Why not just montage another one who makes it through the auditions?  Surely Cooper could have been "sacrificed" to be able to listen to someone who actually got chosen.

I just watched this episode, and didn't see this; in fact, someone above just commented that there have been no montages.  More dementia for me?

Edited by MaryPatShelby
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I just watched this episode, and didn't see this; in fact, someone above just commented that there have been no montages.  More dementia for me?

The montages happened in the following episode, not this one.  @Padma mistakenly posted the sentiment in the thread for this episode since no one had started the thread for the next episode at the time.

On another note, is this only the second Blind episode in which a coach has failed to land a single artist?  I remember the pleasant sight of Adam not getting a single person in season eight's premiere.  So does Blake not getting one at all in this episode mean that this is the second time that this has happened?

Edited by Michel