Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Come One Come All

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

This isn't completely about the show so I thought I'd put it here.  I was fired during the 2001 Bush recession that most people forget in 2001 and that was my best paying job then any savings I had and jobs I was able to get imploded again in 08.  My point is, I don't play the lottery but I enter a contest or two for a car or a house because that would completely get me on my feet again.  If I win the HGTV dream house I would give about 1K to every one I know.  I would fix my existing house (roof, siding, concrete, flooring) and probably still live here in my 80K house.  I would get a car that's highway worthy for about 20K and not buy 100K or more of toys lottery guy did.  I wouldn't take a 19K Disney vaca.  I would contribute to our local animal shelter, our local food bank and Wisconsin Public Television since our governor is doing a deep dig into its budget trying to eliminate it and I watch WPT all the time since I don't have cable and it is all about lifetime learning.  I would contact our local power utility and be one of those people who would pay off a bunch of delinquent bills, knowing what it's like to live in a house kept at 62 degrees and still be unable to pay it off.  I would buy my neighbor a new snowblower for helping me out unasked with my driveway occasionally for the last few years.  My point is, I don't get it why people blow that money.  I could  live off the freaking interest after taxes and figuring in a meagre 5% interest rate (granted, I'm in the midwest).  I'd still work part time for health insurance too since gawd knows there are no pensions anymore and I'm over 50.  I just don't get it. You get a golden ticket but prefer to get sucked up the chocolate pipe.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

I understand what you are saying; you have echoed many of the sentiments I have uttered. However, we must also be careful not to judge. As you know, I looked at all those toys he bought and a Disney trip for 19k, who pays that muc to go to Disney anyway, and I said "what a load of shit!" But I so would not want anyone to judge the way I will spend mine. I am sorry about your job woes. I, too, am going through it- currently among the ranks of the unemployed. The lottery would really be my blessing, so I am working on my attitude to attract and not repel.

Back when I lived in Virginia and the lottery first started there, everyone bought tickets. The jackpots didn't get really big until a year later when one time it reached $7 million. Thankfully, it went to the nicest couple. They owned a small restaurant and didn't change their lifestyle very much. They set up college funds for their children and donated a lot to worthy causes in the community. Then, someone else won a big jackpot and she was filing for bankruptcy within a couple of years. The Richmond Times-Dispatch did a profile article on lottery winners within the area and how the money affected them. 75% of them had very little to show for their winnings. They bought jewelry, cars, took trips, and most were right back where they started before their windfall.

The single mother from NC who recently won the big Powerball lottery (she has four children, one with cerebral palsy) sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders. She hired professional legal people to help her set up the money for her kids, her mother, and I'm really praying that she doesn't get surrounded by leeches. She said in an interview she's buying houses for family members, and setting up trust funds for her kids so they can go to college.

I try to never judge someone when I am not in their shoes but this guy on the show did come across as a huge ass. If I ever won enough money to live comfortably the rest of my life, you'll never hear about it because I know I'd not change my lifestyle that much. I'd be too afraid for "friends" to suddenly start treating me differently in hopes of getting a chunk of change.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have lottery fantasies; they are fun!  I agree with those who spoke against judging another for how they spend their money.  It is theirs and not our business.   

I will split the win with my sons and live the life I choose with my share (one third).  What I do depends on how large the win.  I know I will give to those close in my life if the win is big but to my community or charities?  No.  I have not lived here that long and not all that crazy about the place!    I work for a dog rescue so that is close in my life.  I am not the type to squander but flying private is on the top of my list!   That would have to be a large haul and that is what I am allowing to come to me!   

The lottery would really be my blessing, so I am working on my attitude to attract and not repel.

I think we have something in common, announcergirl.  :>)

Edited by wings707

I would build a huge vault, fill it with coins, and swim through it a la Scrooge McDuck, while cackling to everyone that I can't share because I don't have enough. Bwahaha. That has been my long-time fantasy that I have told everyone I know. I actually don't have many people in my life that I could share much money with, without them self-imploding. I have a cousin that I would definitely send to rehab, but couldn't give him any money. My sister, while not an addict, is a spend thrift who would be broke in a year, so I would have to set her money up in a trust, but have no idea how much a month I could give her before she would implode.

My cousin has a plan to start a business, like a garage, or reopen one of the plants to put people back to work. That wouldn't be a bad idea, but my vault would then only be the size of a kiddy pool, ruining my fantasy. I worked in a restaurant where a lottery winner used to come in and leave $100 tips for the staff. It was usually about $15-20 each, depending on who was working, back when that was like $50 each. I would love to do that.

When he started off the broadcast with the odds being 1 in 175 million of winning, I was like, "Yeah, for $2." Don't play if you don't like the odds. It's not bankrupting money. That comes after the win. :)

I was interested in this particular show as I'm working through my grief in losing my mom and my dad within nine months of each other.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  That's really rough to get through.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  That's really rough to get through.

Thank you.  I should be questioning why I expected help from Dr. Phil.  The good news is that I've been able to watch Dr. Phil and felt snarky, which is a good sign when I find my feisty side!