Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E19: Live Results 4

• Start Topic

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant jerk, I will offer my opinion that most of the voters either have no concept of what talent actually is, or just don't care. They're voting for "cute" and to be nice to the boy/girl next door. (When they don't vote for a sob story).

But the judges, who are supposed to know better, contribute to the situation with the ridiculous build-up they give these kids, and the completely different standard of judging for kids and adults. If the judges are going to grade on a curve, and not criticize a kid performer because they don't want to appear mean, it makes a farce of all the talk about finding "America's most talented performers" and "a million dollar act." This isn't supposed to be a middle school talent contest where they give out "participation awards" to build self confidence.

The only way to change this situation is to institute an age minimum. It should be 16 at the very least. 18 would be even better. But as long at the producers believe (rightly or wrongly) that the kid acts bring in the ratings, that'll never happen.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

The entire Happy Belly family is completely befuddled at the accolades being thrown Grace Vanderwaal's way. Maybe we just don't get her?

Her songs all sound the same, you can't understand a word she's singing, her voice cracks and squeaks, she goes in and out of different accents, and she can't keep a beat.

I guess you just don't appreciate musical genius.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:42 AM, Jordan27 said:

I think maybe some of the voting results might be like AI.  Tamyra, Daughtery and Doolittle. 

Oh that brings back memories of the shock I had over Tamyra getting voted out.

Victor Kee, Malevo and Dangerous Games were my favorites. I really don't give a hoot who wins now but it has been a fun season to watch with the exception of Mel B chasing after Simon with a beverage. I find that annoying and immature.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, tominboston said:

What's the deal with this show and opera singers? My guess is that no more than 1% of the audience ever listens to opera other than on AGT, and yet the opera wailers always get lots of votes. Would more than a tiny handful of viewers actually pay to see them? Maybe it's the novelty factor, but I would much rather vote for singers who produce music with natural human voices.

How many people watch jugglers, mentalists, contortionists or danger acts?  Other than singers, most of these acts are niche entertainment.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:08 PM, rr2911 said:

When a student makes a mistake in class nowadays the teacher is told to tell the student, "oh , you're almost there", or "you're close" or " you almost got it". The teacher never tells a student they got the answer wrong. In my days, the teacher told me straight out I was wrong in my answer. I appreciated that. In fact it made me work harder to come up with the correct answer. I think today it's believed that the kids will have long lasting issues if filled with much negativity. Todays kids can not handle negative critiques. They're too fragile!

I believe that's what's going on with Grace VanderWaal. She won't be able to handle the truth. She's a cute kid so how do you tell this cute kid you don't have a good voice? How do you tell Grace she needs to take vocal lessons. No one can't understand what you're singing about! What other reason could there be for the judges building her up so high?

Grace VanderWaal will win AGT. Mark my word. They've build her up so much there is only one direction to go and that's "down", and the TPTB aren't going to let that happen. Oh probably Brian Crum will come in second. It will be exciting but the winner is already picked.

I was disappointed with Deadly Games and Malevo going home. Sal and Laura Bretans should've been eliminated.

I wish there wasn't a wild card. How many left , ten? Just vote on the top five and move on.

Until next time.....

And yet, they have eliminated kids from this season. 

Plus, they build up all of these acts.

And evidently, they are a lot of people that do think Grace can really sing.

7 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

How many people watch jugglers, mentalists, contortionists or danger acts?  Other than singers, most of these acts are niche entertainment.

Me! I watch contortionists. It's actually the reason I started watching AGT - I was watching Days Of Our Lives, saw an AGT promo that featured a contortionist, and decided I was going to tune in just to see her. And I ended up getting hooked on the whole show.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, UsernameGoesHere said:

Me! I watch contortionists. It's actually the reason I started watching AGT - I was watching Days Of Our Lives, saw an AGT promo that featured a contortionist, and decided I was going to tune in just to see her. And I ended up getting hooked on the whole show.

Me too! I'd avoided the show for years because I thought it was singers interspersed with a few people who randomly made fools of themselves. Then I did a tour of Radio City Music Hall when they happened to be ripping parts of it up in preparation for holding the live shows there. I tuned in to see what the finished product looked like... and there were acrobats! Jugglers! Magicians! Contortionists! They are precisely what I am here for... and did I mention that the day I toured Radio City, I went back in the evening for Cirque du Soleil and its contortionists and jugglers and acrobats?

• Love 1