Type keyword(s) to search

S23: James Hinchcliffe: Racing Around The Dancefloor

• Start Topic

I am also a little worried about gimmicky but so far Sharna has been winning with choreo.  It is the first time that a pro has been blindfolded I think so it is a bit of a twist. 

I will just brace for the criticism that is sure to come. 

Is is just me or does Sharna seem to be absolutely glowing this season?  It is like she has a partner that ticks all the boxes and the girl just beams.

Edited by Mondayeve
15 minutes ago, Mondayeve said:

I am a little worried about gimmicky but so far Sharna has been winning with choreo.  It is the first time that a pro has been blindfolded I think so it is a bit of a twist. 

I will just brace for the criticism that is sure to come. 

Is is just me or does Sharna seem to be absolutely glowing this season?  It is like she has a partner that ticks all the boxes and she beams.

James is her muse, lol. He's got dancing ability, he's got an excellent work ethic, plus they get along extraordinarily well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's her favorite among all the partners she's had on the show.

• Love 1

The Indy Car on set is a total gimmick but James' indy fans will love it, just like Hines fans loved the Terrible Towel and all the hall of fame Steelers in the audience.

I actually do not think the blindfold is gimmicky, I think it is kind of risky, since the pro leads, it will be difficult for Sharna to back lead James, putting the pressure on him.  He didn't get instruction from Jenna, now Sharna is deliberately equalizing the pro and the amateur for the whole dance.  I hope they practise lots

Celebrities who were blindfolded Erin, Bindi and Nyle did it for only a small portion of the routine and they danced fine because they could block out distractions and just concentrate on the pro's lead.  

Edited by RedFiat
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, RedFiat said:

I can't be more excited about the next round! 

James and Sharna
Individual Dance – Argentine Tango (Song: “Santa Maria” by Gotan Project)
Trio with Jenna – Jive (Song: Give Me Some Lovin'” by the Spencer Davis Group)
1-800-868-3405

Hello! Finally a real Argentine song by a real modern Argentine group.  and the Jive should be a ton of fun, although thanks producers for giving Sharna Jive on a bum knee. 

anybody see this movie?  This is Santa Maria .. woo hoo

W

Wooo!  Smokin'!  Thanks for this... *fans self*

Thank you!  Better than Jlo and Richard Gear! 

On Facebook someone said they were upset they couldn't vote because they were blocked from Canada.  James said they are trying to get that fixed for next week!  Woohoo... I be voting. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

I'm not sure how it works...but I've seen Canadian fans talk about voting by proxy.  ?????

You can vote with a VPN account, but it is going around the system.  Basically pretending your computer  has a US  IP account.  But I really like the idea of James getting the block fixed because then Canadians would definitely vote. 

Why not now?  It is the most important voting night in the season. If Bindi could get votes from Australia there's no reason why James can't get votes in Canada. IndyCar has races in Toronto and Montreal -- seems only fair.  

• Love 3

Does anyone follow Hector's blog?  I always look for his review of the AT because I know that he knows this dance well.  Here is his review. 

http://hectorsblog.livejournal.com/

For the record I am not interested in all the putting Laurie down business because I love her and think she is wonderful dancer and a well deserving winner if she takes the MBT.  However, I feel like if James should win it is because the fans believe him to be the deserving winner and are voting on what  he brings to the dance theater and on that I agree with Hector.   Sportmanship if you will. 

nd inventive choreographer! She cooked up a fascinating idea (or two) to raise the ante: The Blindfold Tango! And a spectacular ending! Hinch blindfolds Sharna at the Tango beginning. It's meant to shift total responsibility and control to the dominating male, the HINCH! Sharna must trust James to guide her. It adds suspense, danger, interest to the Tango. The music is genuine hot Argentine, the same Gotan Project music JLo & Richard Gere danced to in the film "Shall we Dance". When will this show realize that Tango loses it's allure and sensuality with any other music but THE ONE! They were one with the music, all the right moves,swift enganche, gliding barridas, exquisite ochos, exciting voleo, elegant promenade with great frame ad posture, Then there was The Tango Chair, a commonly used prop, but wait, this time it gave life to the most beautiful sexy formations, and OMG it was the scene of The Piece de Resistance: Sharna curves back sexily over the chair, and The Great Hinch  does a handstand on top of Sharna, Ahhh! Perfectly poised, like a diving champion.Never ever seen-the audience GASPED! So did I. What delight! At last, a suave, smooth, sophisticated Argentine Tango! Juliannesaid it just right: "the Tango we have seen a lot this season has been hard and aggressive, but this is what an Argentine Tango is. It’s controlled and sexy and has dynamic and passion." Bruno praised it as well: That was an Argentine Grand Prix! What is amazing is the trust between the partners, you were totally on top of it and you never missed a nuance in the music, everything was spot on." Carrie Ann, oh my, she's TPTB agent! What she says is what the Productionwants! She reprimanded Hinch for his (non-existent) WOBBLES!  Two 10's and one 9-guess who? Carrie Ann saves her 10's for Jana and Laurie! But the voters knew this not "hard and agressive Tango", but "controlled, sexy and passionate", was the MBT deserving one..

Edited by Mondayeve
  • Love 3

And the reviews keep coming in.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/why-james-and-sharna-deserved-62132.aspx

The blindfold gimmick is not that original. As co-host Erin Andrews pointed out, it has been done before on Dancing with the Stars. The truly impressive feat of the dance isn't that Sharna could not see anything. It is how commanding and proficient James was in leading her across the dance floor. If you had a complete Dancing with the Stars newbie watch the couples in the semifinals it would be pretty easy to pick out the celebrity partners and not just because some of them look vaguely familiar. With James and Sharna it is very hard to pick out the professional from the amateur because he is just that good. 

With James and Jenna you could tell he was inexperienced because their chemistry wasn't nearly as solid. James and Sharna are so in sync that truly amazing things can happen on the dance floor. One of those amazing things was their semifinals tango. While the blindfold thing might have been unoriginal, everything else with the choreography sparkles. That is because of the relationship that has been built between James and Sharna. There is something between them that none of the other couples in season 23 has. 

• Love 2

And this one from TV guide 

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-with-the-stars-the-best-night-of-dancing-is-full-of-perfection-and-tears/

James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess - Argentine Tango - "Santa Maria" by Gotan Project

The dance: Sharna is back! And because coming back from injury isn't enough, she was blindfolded for the entire dance. I personally have plenty of experience with blindfolds (don't ask) so I know this was a legit lose-your-sight blindfold! Kudos for that, guys. Next time, shackle her legs to a 2-ton weight! Anyway, the dance: It was sultry as all heck, just the way an Argentine tango should be. And James is the perfect partner for tangoing, with his unflappable posture and ability to lose himself in the dance. The difference here is that James wasn't projecting outward as we've known him to, instead, it was all about James and Sharna locking eyes and moving together, and they were fantastic. And he did a handstand -- which became part of the routine after James was goofing off in practice -- on a chair at the end! One of James' best dances, and probably the best tango we've seen all season.

This is a from a ballroom blogger and I feel they know ballroom so I respect their opinion.  Interesting comments about who they feel could win this.

http://www.arthurmurraylive.com/blog/dancing-with-the-stars-23-semifinal-results

Sharna's back, but don't freak out.  That wasn't the reason why Hinch wasn't himself last week, and it wasn't the reason everyone is picking him to win it all this week.  The guy is showing America that he is wired for ballroom dancing.  

James Hinchcliffe has gone from "surprise performer" to "potential finalist" to "legitimate potential champion".  Yes, if there is one couple poised to unseat Laurie and Val from their mirrorball moment, it's James and Sharna.  

Quote From Last Week

While it would be easy for the masses to point out that he was dancing with Jenna, Sharna's very capable replacement while she is dealing with her injury, and blame her for this.  From our point of view, this was a Jazz routine that was facing the audience without a partner for 95% of the time. 

• Love 1

Even though there was a mess-up in the jazz routine, Jenna was the right pro for a substitute.  She played the deranged character perfectly two weeks ago.  She is also cross-trained and is really good in jazz.  It was just unfortunate that James messed up in that one section.  At least, it showed that he recovers well.  Their trio was the best one in terms of the star working with both pros especially the last section where James moved between Sharna and Jenna.

I just found out from Just Jared these are the dances and music for Hinch and Sharna.

Redemption Style: Tango – “It Had to Be You” by Harry Connick Jr.
Freestyle: “Beethoven’s 5 Secrets” by The Piano Guys.

Can I just say I am excited by the music!!  However, I wonder if Tango is a misprint because that music is suited a foxtrot and James mentioned he would like to do his foxtrot over to show how far he has come.  A fabulous foxtrot to traditional music will please Len so much.  Fingers crossed this is a redemption foxtrot.  And classical music for his freestyle. 

I say a misprint because Just Jared got Calvin's dance wrong last time and said he was doing a samba instead of salsa.   It had to be you by Harry Connick is absolutely foxtrot and I am trying figure out how Sharna would choreo to it?  Any ideas?

Okay edited.  Saw the FB chat and it is indeed a foxtrot. 

Edited by Mondayeve
43 minutes ago, Mondayeve said:

I just found out from Just Jared these are the dances and music for Hinch and Sharna.

Redemption Style: Tango – “It Had to Be You” by Harry Connick Jr.
Freestyle: “Beethoven’s 5 Secrets” by The Piano Guys.

Can I just say I am excited by the music!!  However, I wonder if Tango is a misprint because that music is suited a foxtrot and James mentioned he would like to do his foxtrot over to show how far he has come.  A fabulous foxtrot to traditional music will please Len so much.  Fingers crossed this is a redemption foxtrot.  And classical music for his freestyle. 

I say a misprint because Just Jared got Calvin's dance wrong last time and said he was doing a samba instead of salsa.   It had to be you by Harry Connick is absolutely foxtrot and I am trying figure out how Sharna would choreo to it?  Any ideas?

Yeah, just heard James on FB say it is the Foxtrot.  Definitely a better choice given the Harry Connick.   

Edited by RedFiat

Yes, that makes me feel better. 

And the one hint about the freestyle is a mashup of several dances and Sharna promises it is a freestyle that has not been seen before.

Just as I suspected they know anyone can win and are being supportive of the others.  I like that about James - even though he is competitive he has been kind to the other celebs and knows well they are excellent dancers and whoever wins is deserving.  

All we can do is vote for him if we support him.  I will put in some extra votes for you Redfiat. 

They look so tired this week but it is that last push.

• Love 1

Hearing their Freestyle song makes me wonder if Sharna is taking a similar general concept of the Freestyle she didn't get to do with Charlie and tailoring it to James' story and dance strengths.

I think both of the songs are great, and I'm really looking forward to the two dances. I'm also very much looking forward to him dancing to Bruno Mars' 24K and see if he can find his groove. I mean the only male celeb who has swag/groove is Calvin, maybe Vanilla Ice.  Should be interesting. :p

http://www.etonline.com/news/203221_dancing_with_the_stars_season_23_final_four_contestants_on_how_they_plan_to_take_home_mirror_ball_trophy/

It's been an incredible season from start to finish. I think that this has been one of my favorite journeys on Dancing With the Stars," she adds. "And watching James grow -- [seeing] how much he's grown from week one -- it's just absolutely incredible. So, being able to create this freestyle for him I think is going to be the perfect way to end an already amazing season."

James admits that although he's "very sad" that the competition is almost over, he's stoked about the concept Sharna created for their freestyle to The Piano Guys' "Beethoven's 5 Secrets," a dance he says is "really cool" and holds a "very special" place in his heart.

"I don't want to give away too much, but at the same time, I really want people to understand what this dance really means to me and how it kind of, in a way, fills a void -- it fills a void I've had surrounding a very important time in my life," the IndyCar racer, who suffered a bloody car crash while practicing for the Indy 500 last May, teases. "For her to be able to create that picture for me, it's very special to me."

Sharna tells ET the reason why she chose a song with no words is because she wants James to "be the person who shows the expression and tells you the story."

"It sounds like there's a hundred violins on stage, and I think it's going to be amazing," she says. "I will say, sort of the layout and the creative of this freestyle hasn't been done before on Dancing With the Stars, so it's exciting!"

I am looking forward to all the freestyles but of course this one is special. 

I am trying to be zen about the finale and who wins because it always tough on social media whoever wins.  I feel like James has done his absolute best this season and the votes will go where they go.  He and Sharna given so much pleasure this season not just from the their dancing but their facebook chats and how they work with each other.  Thank you to the producer who spotted him at that taping of Family Fued and knew casting brilliance when she saw it.

• Love 1

Another blog. 

http://dwts2016.blogspot.com/2016/11/dancing-with-stars-season-23-week-10.html

I absolutely adored this tango and it was one of my favorite dances Sharna and James have done. Throughout the season he has proved he was deserved to be here and I just love their partnership so much. They have so much trust and faith in each. Everything they have learned in this season about each other showed in this dance.

James continues to raise the bar and astound me each and every routine. I was thinking about why he is so good and back to what James said earlier in the season. He is so clean, sharp and it looks like he spent more than four days working on these numbers. Like James has said before, his job involves so much precision and pressure. If he doesn’t pay attention for one second on the track that could be the difference of life or death. As a result of these skills James is so sharp and precise on everything that he does.

This was yet another high octane routine from the infamous James Hinchcliffe. If there was one critique I’ve had about James this season, it was how he was often off time when it came to side-by-side dancing. But for this Jive trio, he was perfectly in step with both Sharna and Jenna. James is the guy to beat this season, and this Jive shows that with his vibrant personality and nearly perfect dance ability shining through. Since James has been able to work closely with both Jenna and Sharna lately, I think that allowed him to have such strong connections with them as he went from one pro to the other. This was one of James’s best routines yet!

It is the improvement arc that Hinch has been on starting with zero training and ending up in the finals. 

Edited by Mondayeve
  • Love 2

http://www.arthurmurraylive.com/blog/5-reasons-james-hinchcliffe-could-win-dancing-with-the-stars-23?utm_content=44202692&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

A few more dances to go and the all important freestyle but another endorsement for the mayor of Hinchtown.

I saw a photo of the camera blocking and James and Sharna were in bare feet.  I am wondering if this dance will be done in bare feet especially where they are doing some ballroom?    Len hates barefoot dancing and any whiff of contemporary wafting.  We shall see.  I am so looking forward to tonight.

Helio is getting out the vote in Indy.  

Okay so the Fusion dances are up 

James and Sharna get VWaltz and Foxtrot 

Calvin and Laurie get Jive and QS

Laurie and Val get AT and Foxtrot... might as well be AT and Tango

6 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

James did Paso Doble twice and Jive in week 10.   Latin Syllabus. 

Yet both dances that don't require rhythmical changes and hip action. Samba, Cha Cha, and Salsa are considered the "party" dances and he only did 1 back in Week 3 and it wasn't his strongest dance.

5 hours ago, vibeology said:

How do you do a Waltz and Foxtrot to the same song? The time signatures have to be different to make those dances work.

There is such a thing as Waltz Foxtrot timing.   but teams do a waltz because of the downbeat.  Or if you find a Waltz that you like you can do a Foxtrot if you time 2 quicks making up for one beat, and 2 slower... 

8 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Yet both dances that don't require rhythmical changes and hip action. Samba, Cha Cha, and Salsa are considered the "party" dances and he only did 1 back in Week 3 and it wasn't his strongest dance.

Jive is a rhythmical dance requiring many rhythmical changes. That is exactly why it is a Latin syllabus. Too bad Laurie screwed up the Salsa, she is such a hard dancer, no light and shade just hard That's why her Foxtrot was so overscored. . And its a good thing she got Jive early, because her footwork and her flicka kicks kind of stunk. And she never did do a clean Paso.

Edited by RedFiat
12 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

There is such a thing as Waltz Foxtrot timing.   but teams do a waltz because of the downbeat.  Or if you find a Waltz that you like you can do a Foxtrot if you time 2 quicks making up for one beat, and 2 slower... 

Jive is a rhythmical dance requiring many rhythmical changes. That is exactly why it is a Latin syllabus. Too bad Laurie screwed up the Salsa, she is such a hard dancer, no light and shade just hard That's why her Foxtrot was so overscored. . And its a good thing she got Jive early, because her footwork and her flicka kicks kind of stunk. And she never did do a clean Paso.

I have literally no idea why you brought up Laurie. All i did was state the facts that he never did the typical party dances at all. That;s not something up for debate.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Typical party dances include the Jive.   I just thought Laurie wasn't very good in Latin even if she did a few more she was more exposed on what she couldn't do. 

Look, im exhausted of beating this dead horse. I think Laurie deserves it, and that James didn't prove himself in all dances, and you think the opposite. Doesn't mean i'm right or wrong, or you the same.

All I stated was I can't remember the last time someone did so much non-Latin especially in the second half of the season, and when TPTB could've let James prove himself a little tonight, they gave him a Waltz/Foxtrot fusion. I know Laurie got AT/Foxtrot fusion but she's at least done Samba, Salsa, Paso (whether you thought it was good or bad) in the last 4 weeks.