Type keyword(s) to search

Saga

• Start Topic

I love that they're structuring it as six-episode arcs with long (a few months) breaks in between, which turns out to be extremely satisfying. The end of issue 18 just knocked me out.

I could not love this comic any more.  The art is beautiful and BKV is not afraid to shake up the storyline constantly. 

It really is awesome. I'm reading the trades so my wait seems almost interminable. 

At least I've got Fables to see me through, oh that wacky Baba Yaga. Also re-reading Sandman from issue one, and catching up with Buffy 9. 

I LOVE that there's a comic book thread here! Matter of fact, I don't think I've found anything I don't like about this site! 

I bought the first collection last night with the intent of reading the first issue and then stayed up until 3am reading the whole run to date.

...I just did exactly the same thing last night. The art and the world-building are both amazing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Glad you liked it, DavidTCole!

Saga is one of those rare series that seems to transcend both genres and cultural lines.

Of the dozen plus people I've recommended (or lent) this title too, ALL of them have expressed interest in continuining to read/follow it. (Some went and got the monthly title, some got the trades, and I've lent all the current issues to the rest.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen

I of course love this title. Best one currently ongoing.

What do people think of the narration by some point in the future by the baby/toddler?  I don't know if I've seen that narrative choice used that often, but it's kind of fun with the loose lipped narrator dropping tantalizing hints here and there. It hasn't gotten old yet. Closest thing that comes to mind is Mike Carey's Lucifer series with arcs being narrated by different characters. The reveal of who the narrator actually is (and in what state he or she was) in a given arc was often quite moving.

So I've been on the outs with comic books for a while, but just happened to wander into a comic shop in Bristol last week, and got talking to the owner about writers we like. I loved everything I've read by Brian K. Vaughan, so the guy recommended Saga.

I picked up the first volume in TPB, and it is absolutely fantastic. Witty, emotional, exciting, just everything that comic book writing should be. The art is lovely, and Fiona Staples imbues the characters with so much personality and life. I've had to rein myself in from just going out and buying all the next three volumes, because I have so many other books to read before I can justify spending more money on them. 

Alana and Markus are so empathetic and engaging as protagonists, The Will and Lying Cat seem like they have great potential as a fun but formidable threat, Prince Robot and his ilk are flat out nuts. The narration by Hazel is a really nice touch, and I love the hints it drops, as well as suggesting that she may be an unreliable narrator (a device I really enjoy, if it's done well). The final panel of the first volume was perfect, and such a witty, normal conclusion to the book. Grandad looks nonplussed, Grandma looks pissed.

It has only reconfirmed to me that Brian K. Vaughan is just about the best comic book writer working at the moment, and is well on his way to being in the pantheon of all time greats. And Fiona Staples, whose work I haven't seen before, creates some truly gorgeous images. I'm not saying it's reignited my love of comic books, but it's certainly given me one new comic book to love.

Yeah, I think it would have to be premium TV if anything. I haven't seen Deadpool, but I think it would have to be an even harder R than that was just based on the marketing (I could be totally wrong though since I haven't seen it) and I don't know if a movie studio would put a big budget to something like that these days, although Deadpool did do well, so maybe?

Any casting ideas? I'm really married to the idea of Freema Agyeman and Godfrey Gao for the leads. I also recently saw a pic on Instagram where Alaska from RuPaul's Drag Race looked a lot like The Stalk...

I looked up some pages on casting Saga to stir some ideas. The ones that resonate with me are

Joseph Gordon-Leavitt for Marko

Rosario Dawson for Gwendolyn or maybe Alana

Lupita Nyongo as Gwendolyn

Jason Statham for The Will

On 5/23/2016 at 0:31 PM, Fukui San said:

Rosario Dawson for Gwendolyn or maybe Alana

After watching Luke Cage I feel like Simone Missick would actually be an amazing Gwendolyn.

I just finished Vol. 6 and loved it and cannot wait for the next one, the new dynamic in the tree ship is going to be interesting, and I'm curious to see what the whole Battle for Phang thing is going to be like. Also, I'm worried about Ghus.