Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: The 20th Bates

• Start Topic

The 20th Bates contest winner meets the family and embarks on a day-in-the-life of a Bates. 

Emma was sweet and I was impressed with the questions she thought to ask.  I wanted to hug Kelly when she told Emma she was just as pretty without makeup.  

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I can't believe they brought the horses right into the house.  Wow, the Bates are short people.  Where any of the Bates girls playing volleyball or was it just Emma?

Yeah, you never know when a horse is going to decide to relieve themselves.

At first when they showed them playing volleyball it seemed to be only boys and Emma, but later either Carlin or Tori was also playing (I couldn't tell which). 

I was impressed that Gil could do a back handspring!

It's because he is so short! I am a girl and 6 feet tall and could never do a back flip, even in my childhood. I was a cheerleader too. I think it has something to do with your sense of gravity or something like that because even push ups are hard for us tall people. I recall seeing Jen on "The Little Couple" doing massive amounts of BOY push ups correctly and I am sure that must be the reason!? Anyone else have a theory?

• Love 1

Okay, that wasn't just me. That guy really did ping my gaydar, too. 

If Emma has played volleyball since she was seven, she's likely always been quite tall. I just think she thinks the Bateses are short compared to HER. The girls seem about the same height, or maybe just a hair shorter, than most of the Duggar daughters, and most of them are in the 5'4" - 5'6" range, aside from Jill at 5'7". That said, Gil's a pigmy. He and Kelly appear to be about the same height, maybe around 5'5"ish. I think she was taller than Lawson, too, but I don't think he's much over 5'7". 

Which makes perfect sense. She'll probably grow another couple of inches and be the prototypical college player. And when she's not with the Bateses, she plays in defrauding SHORTS! Pretty tight ones at that! NIKE!!!!!!

What I realized after my last post is that she is a TYPICAL Duggar/Bates leghumper. Happy, smiley Christian teen, 7th-9th grade, female. I forget which fan site I commented on, but I had to remind the girls that they were taking pictures from a website (Duggars...I think Jessa's) that had claimed copyrights over all the pictures. As I understand it, the photographer actually owns it, but what teenager knows ANY of this? I think I am responsible for them overhauling their Instagram, which now only seems to post easily-found pictures, either hashtagged, or maybe even from Pickles. 

Sorry for the leghumper drift, but let's face it, that's what this episode was really about. 

• Love 2

Well of course Emma was a Bates leghumper, she knew about the contest and enter after all. 

But I thought she was very well mannered and mature beyond her 14 years.  I enjoyed watching her reactions and thought she handled herself very nicely.  It must be a weird feeling to know a lot about a certain family and then meet them and realize that they know nothing about you.  I kept trying to see if Trace was sizing her up for courtship material.  He couldn't do much better. 

Nathan is a very good horseman, he really is.  He knows how to handle a horse and ride very well.  I hope he does get to become a rider for the Dixie Stampede.  But I guess working Lawson's mowing business and Gil's tree service probably will impede that dream. 

I thought the cook out at Zach and Whitney's was a nice idea too.  That adorable Bradley was so curious about the camera and wanted to play with it. 

• Love 1