Type keyword(s) to search

Archery: Aim for the Fruit Hat

Extremely happy for the Australian team getting Bronze in the Men's event. First Archery medal for us since 2004 and our first in the event. Not that the Australian public would know, the news is reporting it as an afterthought and feels almost out of obligation cause it is our first medal of the games. A shame really because at the moment they have abut 4 hours to milk media attention before the damn swimmers come along.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah now this is pretty interesting.  I took archery in college, the one sport that I was good at, lol.

What was your bow like, O?  My archery skills date all the way back to summers at camp--I was good, too!--and those bows look like fancy rocket ships to me.  I'd love to see one up close. 

Besides all the gizmos on the equipment, there was a lot of interesting info about the sport itself, the training regimen, the rivalries, etc.  It was excellent commentary.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, candall said:

What was your bow like, O?  My archery skills date all the way back to summers at camp--I was good, too!--and those bows look like fancy rocket ships to me.  I'd love to see one up close. 

Heh.  Well, you have to remember that this was college and I'm kinda old, so...I think it was wooden?  Kinda like what Robin Hood used? I honestly don't remember, lol.  What I do remember is that I just took to it naturally and I surprised myself.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tominboston said:

Any archers here who can explain those extreme bows? I understand the optical sights used for aiming, but what is the purpose of those projecting rods and all the other stuff?

I believe the rods at the front are for balance. 

Watched Women's team and once again Korea dominated (good for them), they've won every year since team competition was introduced in 1988.