Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League Dark (2016)

starri
  • Start Topic

Well, they found something to get me excited again after the debacle around The Killing Joke.

I loved the first couple of arcs of the New 52 JLD, and Zatanna is one of my favorite characters.  And yes, Matt Ryan is voicing John Constantine.

• Love 2
(edited)

I always liked Zatanna too, but prefer the traditional costume of the tails and fishnets (although if you stop to think about that for even five seconds it seems really silly).

While I'm not familiar with Justice League Dark, several of the characters harken back to my active days of comic book collecting, namely Deadman, Etrigan and Zatanna, who seemed to turn up every now and then in Brave and Bold or Batman or Detective.

I don't get the writers saying that Batman finds it difficult to accept the existence of magic when he has confronted it through virtually his entire career, starting with the Monk and the vampire Dala way back in the 1940s,  continuing through the Neal Adams era, and even in Batman and Dracula trilogy: Red Rain.

Seeing this team also led me to wonder why some choices that seem obvious to me were absent, such as The Phantom Stranger, who at the very least was always considered an honorary member of the JLA.   Or the Spectre.   Or Doctor Fate (a favorite of mine).   If they could include the House of Mystery, why not them?

Then I started googling and discovered that one and all fell prey to the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" bullshit.   Spectre went nuclear and turned the Phantom Stranger into a mouse and trapped Doctor Fate in a dimension inside his own helmet.   Endings none of them deserved.

And people wonder why I regard DC as an abusive parent. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, millennium said:

Then I started googling and discovered that one and all fell prey to the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" bullshit.   Spectre went nuclear and turned the Phantom Stranger into a mouse and trapped Doctor Fate in a dimension inside his own helmet.   Endings none of them deserved.

I can sympathize with your frustration; I had actually stopped collecting comics before then (it was actually Infinite Crisis where those events happened) due to the constant crossover/reboots.  You might be glad to know that all you mentioned there has been undone.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for letting me know that.   I stopped actively collecting around 1984 so my comic book mindset is probably trapped forever on the pre- side of the Crises too, and based on what I've seen and read about what's happened in the years since then, maybe it's not an altogether bad thing.

Edited by millennium

The original Dr. Fate was my all-time favorite comics character, but since the late 80s he's had turnover like Spinal Tap's drummers. I can't get too upset with what's done to any given version anymore; wait a year and there'll be a new different interpretation.

On 7/27/2016 at 0:22 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The original Dr. Fate was my all-time favorite comics character, but since the late 80s he's had turnover like Spinal Tap's drummers. I can't get too upset with what's done to any given version anymore; wait a year and there'll be a new different interpretation.

So they treated Dr. Fate like a degree that could be conferred on different individuals?    DC seems to do that a lot.   Different Green Lanterns, different Flashes, different Batmans.    Assholes.