Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 4/21/14

The show will be dark the week of 4/14/14.

4/21: Gina McCarthy (EPA Administrator)
4/22: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (US Senator, D-MA & author – promoting book “A Fighting Chance”)
4/23: Robin Roberts (Anchor of ABC’s “Good Morning America” & author – promoting book “Everybody's Got Something”)
4/24: Ramachandra Guha (author – promoting book “Ghandi Before India”)

I'm pretty sure you can count on Hannity to demonstrate the phenomenon of clinging more tightly to an opinion in the face of contrary evidence.  "This is clearly nothing like that, because reasons, so I win."

So Sean Hannity supports a man, who has a group supporting him, that wished to use women as human shields for cows...anticipating that the human shields would be shot which would then garner more support for their Cow Cause.

That sounds like the kind of weird ass dream I might have after ingesting mushrooms of some funky variety.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

The problem of the perception of "emotions" in women is not limited to politics.  Its been that way in business as well.  Many times, men are said to be "aggressive", "powerful" "being a leader" whereas women are "being a bitch".  It has been slowly changing, as more women do move up in business, but its still that perception in many places.  It will slowly change in politics too, as more women are elected, but it will still take some time (and Faux news doesn't help, natch).

Oh dear, I wonder what, if anything Sean Hannity will have to say about Bundy and his group of "Use Women as Human Shields for Cows" supporters now that it's been revealed that not only is Bundy a complete wacko , he's a pro-slavery wacko.  

Yup.  Read it and creep, basically as almost anyone's skin would crawl over even half of what Bundy said.  It is sort of delightful to see GOP supporters hotfooting it away without delay though.  It's just thrills tiny parts of my soul to see them have to slam it into reverse so quickly that they basically drop an engine.  

I don't know if Jon will have anything more to say, but Bundy turned out to be so hatefully insane and racist to a degree that is actually astounding, I can't figure out if Jon will go to town or not. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

I liked that Jon liked the enthusiasm of the interviewee. Sometimes I think he's acted uncomfortable with sincerity, so seeing him be excited about enthusiasm kind of seemed like a good spark.

Also, I was happy to see Jon Oliver.

I wasn't all that surprised about Bundy being a crackpot.  (Well done spot, Jon.  Also about Mr. Hannity?  Great calling it like it is.  You watch so I don't have to and I thank you for that.)

If I may generalize (and I may), part of the media and the politicians (*cough* the GOP) in this country tend to grab onto what they see as government overreach (or the Iss-yoo du jour) without doing their homework.  There are many instances to list but Joe the Plumber comes right to mind.  As does that Zimmerman guy in Florida.

They get off into this foaming at the mouth self-righteous outrage only to look like complete buffoons by the next 24 hour news cycle.

Don't get me wrong, the left does it too but much less so and less egregiously.  (At least from what I see.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

Both Jon and Stephen did wonderful jobs skewering Bundy and his apologists/supporters (and if you want an excellent primer on the sick and dangerous 'movement' lurking on the edges. check out Rachael Maddow's and Chris Hayes' programs last week). My one disappointment  was Jon's interview with Elizabeth Warren . She was unresponsive to several of his questions, and he let it slide. -- An unfortunate first, for both of 'em