Type keyword(s) to search

Everyday Product Hacks

• Start Topic

(edited)

Changing lifestyles means assessing everything that might affect whatever goals are set. It's easy to overlook things we take for granted like water, toothpaste, cleaning products, sodas, bacon, mouthwash and just about everything we use.

Since joining some groups on Facebook, I have discovered just how polluted our bodies and personal spaces are. Modern product development mostly comes down to producing goods that have the least amount of costs, the greatest shelf life and the highest profits.  None of it has anything to do with our health. And if it does the prices are almost prohibitive and hardly any of it is designed to prevent or cure.

If you have something you have incorporated into your daily life let's post and discuss here.

Edited by ethalfrida

This my latest life hack... making my own toothpaste. This all started because it has been found that xrays and root canals are not safe. Dr. Mercola is one source of information on the subjects. Livestrong is another.

Then, during my research flouride has turned up too many times as dangerous and actually damages our teeth. So, knowing we have some type of cleaning and dental maintenence system, I have come across several (too many to list) that have recipes for toothpaste and mouthwash. 

The main ingredient in the listed recipe is Neem. Neem leaves and stems have been used in India for centuries and they have the lowest rates of dental problems. No off the shelf pastes, etc., and the Neem isn't even processed.

http://conscioushealth.net/herbal-neem-clove-tooth-powder/

I've been following this a while and I've been trying to phase out a lot of mainstream products for the reasons you stated (disruptions to health, etc.).  One site I've found which offers recipes for all sorts of alternative products is Wellness Mama .  You can find recipes for sunscreen, toothpaste and hair conditioners among others.

I've also been buying more of my food from online sources in which the food is raised on family farms and on rotated pastures with grain free diets.  I recommend the following sites:

US Wellness Meats

Buffalo Gal

Tropical Traditions  Their chicken, eggs and cheese are fabulous!  They sell non food products as well - I love their toothpaste, soap and body lotions.

Radiant Life is a great site for supplements, water filters and air filters.

People's Chemist is a favorite site of mine for supplements.  I highly recommend his book, which offers alternatives if you don't want to buy his supplements.

If you belong to a local food co-op, all the better since you can get almost farm fresh foods for your diet.

I also recommend checking out the Weston Price organization, which offers recommendations for folks all over the world.

• Love 3
On 6/21/2016 at 7:16 PM, ethalfrida said:

Changing lifestyles means assessing everything that might affect whatever goals are set. It's easy to overlook things we take for granted like water, toothpaste, cleaning products, sodas, bacon, mouthwash and just about everything we use.

Since joining some groups on Facebook, I have discovered just how polluted our bodies and personal spaces are. Modern product development mostly comes down to producing goods that have the least amount of costs, the greatest shelf life and the highest profits.  None of it has anything to do with our health. And if it does the prices are almost prohibitive and hardly any of it is designed to prevent or cure.

If you have something you have incorporated into your daily life let's post and discuss here.

Do you watch 'Hack My Life' ?

Wellness Mama has great hacks.

My DIY products are tooth powder toothpaste, spray deodorant,  apple cider vinegar, sodas and laundry soap.

I'm going to visit your links in a minute. 

Thanks for the recommendations. 

(edited)

I hope my post fits this thread.  I'm wondering how many have taken a look at bottle water drinks.  I want to transition from any soft drinks to water only.  (Iced tea I can make myself.)  Right now, I only drink Caffeine free Diet sodas, but, want to stop completely.  I like carbonation, so the sparkling waters appeal to me. 

I just started trying sparkling waters.  I really like one called Sparkline Ice.  (Lemon-lime).  The trouble is it seems to have quite a few chemicals in it.  Are these problematic?  What things are acceptable in sparkling water?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amy-gellert-murder-help-solve-a-23-year-old-cold-case/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 19.06.2017 at 8:50 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope my post fits this thread.  I'm wondering how many have taken a look at bottle water drinks.  I want to transition from any soft drinks to water only.  (Iced tea I can make myself.)  Right now, I only drink Caffeine free Diet sodas, but, want to stop completely.  I like carbonation, so the sparkling waters appeal to me. 

I just started trying sparkling waters.  I really like one called Sparkline Ice.  (Lemon-lime).  The trouble is it seems to have quite a few chemicals in it.  Are these problematic?  What things are acceptable in sparkling water?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amy-gellert-murder-help-solve-a-23-year-old-cold-case/

Teas are a diuretic so they don’t really count. 5 cups is okay…its important not to drink too much or your kidneys will hate you! I drink about 7-8 cups per day, especially if its hot out. But it should be only filter water which I can get only at home. I use  cozzy RO system When it comes to my health I am not going to compromise.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:48 AM, stream26 said:

Teas are a diuretic so they don’t really count. 5 cups is okay…its important not to drink too much or your kidneys will hate you! I drink about 7-8 cups per day, especially if its hot out. But it should be only filter water which I can get only at home. I use  cozzy RO system When it comes to my health I am not going to compromise.

I make my iced tea out of caffeine free tea bags, so, I think I'm okay on that.  I rarely drink hot tea.  I wish I liked it. 

I have tap water from our city.  Is that really that bad?  I buy bottled water sometimes, but, often drink the tap water. It tastes pretty good to me.  Is that not good?

On 6/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I quit sodas many years ago but i still missed the carbonation. A few years ago I found GTs Kombucha a low carb, carbonated flavored health drink. I even went into making it myself. Then I found out how to make my own ginger ale with so much carbonation it would blow the bales back off the bottles. A simple recipe, ginger ale is ginger, sugar and spring water that can be flavored in limitless ways.

If you try Kombucha, though, make sure it isn't one of those with all the added chemicals. Those things aren't needed to make it. Start with GTs.

• Love 1