Type keyword(s) to search

Cleverman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really want to like this show, but the abundance of terrible fake hair is a huge barrier for me. I've seen all 4 eps aired so far, but any momentum the story gathers is completely negated by "guy covered in spirit gum and synthetic hair gets fake shaved in jail." Ostensibly the scene is tragic and shames us all about prison systems and refugees and racism, except all I can concentrate on is the worst wigs and hair laying I have seen in something that is not a cheap werewolf comedy made by broke college students. Why would you sabotage a good concept with such a clumsy fx execution? 

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 2

I find this a story for our time with the minister rallying hatred to keep his polling up.  hey The Donald, a show for you to watch!,

I was looking fora movie on the sundance channel, I didn't know they had other shows on. Yeah, the makeup is bad, but I find the storyline interesting in so many ways, the parallels to the way the aboriginal people seeing the parallels with their original treatment, the way racial hatred is used by politicians, the inhumanity to man. 

Why would the hair be prized? Why is Indian hair prized (long and straight and untreated so it can be made into wigs)? It has a quality that makes it desirable maybe it can be woven into wonderful shawls. I Don't know, this kind of stuff happens with little things. The hair looks kind of sheep like, so I imagine it would be made into something soft. 

The cleverman part confuses me, I missed the first show and I don't know what they are fighting that rips out the heart, don't really understand how the cleverman is moved on, but having read the summary, I can see where the bar owner is a not the one you would expect. to be one.

I found a way around the bad fake hair because I was interested in the story - I just started watching the show on my iPhone and you can barely tell now! Probably not the solution production would want, I'm guessing. I was also surprised at the end of last week's show to find out this week is the season finale just as all the pieces are coming together. Short commitment, folks. Give it a chance if you can. 

• Love 1

I was enjoying this until the velociraptor showed up. Oh please. Glad it's getting a  second season though. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Slade's wife finds out she's carrying some kind of demon child.

• Love 1

I've only watched the first three episodes, but I think it's great! Each character brings so much to the table. Love the smoking aunty!  I also like that there really is so much going on in each episode, but it leaves me wanting to find out more. I hope more people watch. There's a lot here to discuss. 

I finally caught up with this show.  I've got to say it is a little all over the place with the spiritual aspects and the shiny eyed velociraptor.  But I enjoy the acting and am sufficiently invested in many of the characters.  I am glad it will have a second season.

• Love 1

Caught up on this over the weekend and wow there is a lot going on.   I was confused as to whether Slade was manipulating sleazy politician or not.  So Slade wants all the mystical power I guess.  We've got mystical powers, demon baby, terrible CGI creature, kidnapping, rape, torture, murder, genocide....whew!

Kudos to the major players for making their characters interesting and sympathetic; it was difficult to like Koen and Blair but both sold their emotional scenes and regret.  Waruu is interesting as a character - seems like he wants the best for "his" people in the context of how it will improve his life - he wants to be the savior.   His mom had him down cold and his comment that he's glad she's got cancer was nasty. 

Koen coming into his own was cool but the real "hell yeah" moment was Araluen strangling the gross politician (how evil was he? chortling about how the Hairypeople will be killed, really?) and THEN tasering the madam!   I know her husband was being used by the scientist but I'm not sure if he's dead.

They really should have kept the Namorrodor (thanks Google) hidden.  I'm in for the second season though.

Am I the only one watching :)

The first episode was all over the place but the second was more cohesive.  I think there's a bit too much going on though.  I don't really care about Slade's wife's pregnancy but his experiments with Koen's blood are interesting.  Speaking of Koen, we don't see enough of him (though the CGI powers are still not good). 

It seems like the meat of the show is the crackdown on the Hairypeople and the assimilation plan, which is all kinds of wrong and evil and creepy.  I'm intrigued by Waruu - is really on board with this plan, or will he try to help the Hairypeople from the inside somehow?  And what about the HP in the woods?

There are only 6 episodes this season so there's a lot to pull together.

• Love 1

Ah, so they're not going to pull it together, going to leave things hanging in hopes for a 3rd season.  If we get one, I would leave out Slade's wife's story entirely - it's the least interesting piece, I wanted more of Koen growing into his powers and responsibilities and his clashes with Waruu, which were all good scenes.   So Waruu's daughter gets away because the tracker is disabled and they....stay at the house of the guy who disabled it and no one thinks to remove it from her ankle?? WTF??  I was sure when it was turned back on that the cops and Waruu would find it in the trash somewhere, but nope, she's still wearing it.  That was really dumb, unless there's a cut scene of them unable to take it off, but they're all just sitting there having dinner.  That could have been written better.

• Love 1

I can't believe Slade is dead. And yes, dumb regarding the anklet.

Also when the wild hairy went to save the contained hairys he didn't have much of a plan.

I wonder if all the unhairied people will be able to get their hairiness back with Slade's injections?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

I wonder if all the unhairied people will be able to get their hairiness back with Slade's injections?

I didn't think of this, this could be a least a good side effect of his experiments.

• Love 1