Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: The Thing With Feathers

In the second half of this two-part episode, TC (Eoin Macken) and Scott (Scott Wolf) work desperately to save a young boy and his mother who were injured in a car accident. With the boy's life hanging in the balance, the team starts to realize there is more to the family dynamic than meets the eye. Meanwhile, Drew (Brendan Fehr) and Syd (Jennifer Beals), deployed overseas in Afghanistan, deal with the aftermath of shots fired in the OR.

Damn. I felt for Sydney getting her tour extended and finding out her ex-husband is getting re-married. But she definitely should have stepped in and asserted her rank over Drew.

Oh, Topher. Don't ever change.

Feel bad for Kenny with Gwen leaving.

• Love 2

I'm okay with Doctor Syd putting her patient's safety before protocol, I think.

Are we going to learn whether Drew's re-enlisting was a source of conflict for him and Rick?

I'm optimistic about Fireman Sam -- I've always liked Michael Cassidy. And I like Sarah Jane Morris, too; although Annie mostly annoyed me last season, since she wasn't so much a fully realized character as she was a source for angst-bombardment for Tragic Consequences. I still don't think Topher's "Remember when I used to be a badass?" reunion tour is really in character for him. Isn't he usually more mature than TC?

7 hours ago, Sandman said:

Are we going to learn whether Drew's re-enlisting was a source of conflict for him and Rick?

I don't think Drew re-enlisted.  They've always said he's a reservist.  I also think Rick understands better than most what being a military spouse is like.

You know, it's ironic, but like Gwen, I also found out I got into medical school at 3AM.  I'm going to miss her, said no one.  Krista and Ragosa get Raptured, but we get two episodes devoted to Gwen's career that I'm fairly certain we'd never heard about before.

While I know this is a pipe dream, because TC and Jordan's star-crossed love is the reason I watch this show (also said no one), Jordan getting storylines that don't directly involve TC might almost make her likable.  As much as I was rolling my eyes at Dr Thirsty (I do think I like the actress, even if playing Daria isn't exactly a challenge), the idea of Jordan trying to break her co-dependent cycle is actually kind of appealing.  And they were so close to passing the Bechdel test in some scenes.

I actually kind of identify with Topher's mid-life crisis.  I was never a badass, 40 is getting close to the horizon, and I feel it.  

I was trying to figure out why Fireman Sam looked so familiar, and then I realized that I just saw Michael Cassidy in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as what was suppose to be Jimmy Olsen, even though they didn't actually mention him by name.  I'm guessing he's sticking around as a love interest for Jordan, since we have to find some way to keep her and TC part, I guess.

Speaking of love interests, Scott is so going to fall for Annie, right?  Hah!  I want it to work out and they get married, so he and TC can be related.  I bet TC would "love" that.

I figured they were going to find some way for Drew to have the siblings, but he ended up getting himself discharged (dishonorably, I'm guessing?), and making Sydney/Jennifer Beals have to say there even longer, which sucks for her.  I'm guessing he's heading back, but I wonder if we'll see her again?  Maybe season finale time?

I figured Gwen wasn't long for here since Merle Dandridge was still only a guest and not upgraded to regular, but I guess it could have been a worse exist.  I do wonder why they found time for her, but not the disappearances of either Krista or Ragosa.  Where the actors just not available to come back?

Still not warming up to Rivera, although I surprisingly didn't mind her and Jordan bonding.

Paul really is going to need to make himself come off more authoritative, if he wants to be taken serious.  I don't think Kenny or the rest dislike him or anything, but they understandably do treat him like a kid brother at times, because that's just the way he comes off a lot of times.

Topher continues to be awesome.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I was trying to figure out why Fireman Sam looked so familiar, and then I realized that I just saw Michael Cassidy in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as what was suppose to be Jimmy Olsen, even though they didn't actually mention him by name.  I'm guessing he's sticking around as a love interest for Jordan, since we have to find some way to keep her and TC part, I guess.

Speaking of love interests, Scott is so going to fall for Annie, right?  Hah!  I want it to work out and they get married, so he and TC can be related.  I bet TC would "love" that.

I figured they were going to find some way for Drew to have the siblings, but he ended up getting himself discharged (dishonorably, I'm guessing?), and making Sydney/Jennifer Beals have to say there even longer, which sucks for her.  I'm guessing he's heading back, but I wonder if we'll see her again?  Maybe season finale time?

I figured Gwen wasn't long for here since Merle Dandridge was still only a guest and not upgraded to regular, but I guess it could have been a worse exist.  I do wonder why they found time for her, but not the disappearances of either Krista or Ragosa.  Where the actors just not available to come back?

Still not warming up to Rivera, although I surprisingly didn't mind her and Jordan bonding.

Paul really is going to need to make himself come off more authoritative, if he wants to be taken serious.  I don't think Kenny or the rest dislike him or anything, but they understandably do treat him like a kid brother at times, because that's just the way he comes off a lot of times.

Topher continues to be awesome.

I thought the name Merle Dandridge and her face looked familiar she will be starring in Greenleaf, on the OWN channel. Starting June 21.

(edited)

I thought it was funny when Kenny didn't seem too broken up when Gwen told him she was leaving.  He walked off like "Oh well."

I still don't like snot-nosed Rivera, I don't care if she and Jordan are bonding.

And on a shallow note, both Scott and Paul need haircuts.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2016-06-09 at 7:33 AM, starri said:

... TC and Jordan's star-crossed love is the reason I watch this show (also said no one)

Hee.

Clearly Drew's being a reservist is something I ought to have remembered, and yet, the transition between the end of last season with Drew and Rick and their PDA-spangled coupledom and what we have now feels abrupt to me. Oh, well -- at least they're Skyping.

Does the fact that Drew's tour was summarily ended mean a dishonourable discharge? I know nothing about these things, but that seems like a pretty raw deal for Drew. It does look like Scott and Annie are going to have a thing, but I really hope not. I don't know, it feels contrived. (What? On this show?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I'm guessing that Dr. Major Jennifer Beals ends up dying in the next couple weeks and that will fuel Drew's angst for the season.  I'm hoping that when Drew delivers the soccer ball to her daughter, he ends up being her date at her Dad's wedding and I'll go "awwwww!".

Ken Leung is always awesome so Topher will always be awesome.  I think Kenny is awesome.

To misquote Shakespeare: Contrived, thy name is Night Shift.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not being military, I would not presume to be authoritative, but there is also a general discharge, which does not carry the stigma of a dishonorable discharge, but also does not carry the benefit of an honorable discharge.  And it must be disclosed on job applications if it is part of the application, such as federal job.  On the other hand, since both are officers, they could resign their commissions (Then resign your goddamn commission, Hotlips!), but I'm not sure the Army would permit that in a war zone.  And, on the other other hand, I'm not sure the Army would be willing to lose a couple of top flight surgeons to a breach in protocol and insubordination. 

I still don't like snot-nosed Rivera, I don't care if she and Jordan are bonding.

Was that her who slapped the patient with the scars on his back on the tour through the ER?  Please excuse the noise you might have heard during the episode; it was just the sound of my jaw dropping and hitting the ground. 

Edited by Dowel Jones