Type keyword(s) to search

Before The Season 2 Premiere, Lifetime Renews UnREAL For A Third Season

When thinking about them shaking (frankly hoping) up the format of the show, a Bachelorette season season is the first thing my mind goes to as well, but then there would be too many dudes on the show. Maybe reversing that season of the two Bachelorettes would be a good way to take some of power dynamic away from the dude, by having two guys who have to keep numbers on his side or be kicked off the show.

(edited)

To be honest I never thought it would make it past season 1. This is a bonus for me.  So I am super excited for a 3rd season. Shiri's record is 3. She's needs 4 to break the tie. I know I am getting ahead of myself but I've been keeping score for years.  I have a feeling they are going to keep doing the same thing over and over again. The only difference may be a female suitor next year. After a while it could get boring pretty quick. I would hate for them to run out of ideas and start going in circles. New season, new suitor, new catch phrases. How much darker can they go? At the very least I don't have to worry about the rattings this season. The show can also be nominated for the Emmy awards this year.

Edited by earlbny
1 hour ago, annewithaneee said:

Yay!!

Personally, I would love to see a season 3 with a lesbian, bisexual, or trans Suitorette.

You can't have a lesbian or a gay man on a show like this. The bachelor/bachelorette has to be a prize to be won. Gay men would just hook up with each other and lesbians would do the same. There may actually be a true love match, odds are it wouldn't  be with the bachelor.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

You can't have a lesbian or a gay man on a show like this. The bachelor/bachelorette has to be a prize to be won. Gay men would just hook up with each other and lesbians would do the same. There may actually be a true love match, odds are it wouldn't  be with the bachelor.

In fairness, I'm not pitching that the actual Bachelor/ette do this, but that it would be an interesting spin on the show-within-a-show. Isn't it almost better if there are some spectacular disasters along the way, and/or it's a failed experiment? I'm not rooting for Everlasting the show to succeed, I'm in it for the exploration of Rachel and Quinn's relationship. I could see Rachel as a showrunner pitching this, since prides herself on her liberalism...despite the fact that she's participating in really harmful behavior and perpetuating stereotypes. 

I'd personally like to see Everlasting continuing to be the setpiece for Unreal, but it would probably get a little stale if they kept the format the same. I'm also not super interested in seeing a bunch of male contestants vying for a Suitorette; Season 1 showed that these writers are great at writing women in competition with each other. A lesbian or bi Suitorette, or a trans Suitor, could keep women in the mix as contestants while exploring new themes and conflicts. 

On a sidenote, dating shows with these sorts of premises have already existed. And while I would trust/hope the writing staff of Unreal to have a field day with all kinds of scandalous behavior and turn the whole thing into a dumpster fire, should ABC actually go there, I think a LGBT edition of the real franchise would be entertaining and would be as successful as the other seasons (as in, the majority of seasons don't have a happy ending). Maybe a few would click more with each other than the bachelor/ette, but a lot of the field would have their game faces on, knowing a good edit, other reality show stints, and $$$ for shilling detox teas on Instagram are on the line.

(edited)

You were not alone in thinking that. I remember reading on Twitter right after the series premiere someone thinking faith was trans and Rachel was bi polar.

Edited by earlbny
On 6/4/2016 at 8:46 AM, earlbny said:

You were not alone in thinking that. I remember reading on Twitter right after the series premiere someone thinking faith was trans and Rachel was bi polar.

I read that as "Rachel was bi" then noticed the polar.  I've not seen any indication that Rachel is into women, but I think it's pretty irrefutable that she is at least somewhat bi-polar.