Type keyword(s) to search

Roger's Marathon Diary: Madeleine Albright, Paul Anka, and 68 Pounds of Marijuana Visit Stars Hollow Gilmore Girls Season 6

• Start Topic

I HATED season 6. The whole April secret child thing felt so forced, it just pissed me off. I remember thinking there was no way Luke and Lorelai would behave in the ways they did. Lorelai, for example, doesn't hold back. She tells off her parents, she tells off teachers and other moms, she has told off Luke many times. She wouldn't just keep silent when upset. And Luke wouldn't hold back either. They would have been fighting, not holding stuff back from one another. The whole premise was forced in order to keep them apart.

I had no problem with the writers and showrunners finding ways to hold off on having a wedding or finalizing anything between Luke and Lorelai; I just wanted it to MAKE SENSE. And this plot line really, really did not.

To this day, I can't watch that season (and refuse to). And, unfortunately, it's the reason I stopped watching the show instead of coming back for season 7. Because of the giant frustrations and insulting writing of season 6, I had no interest in coming back for more that would likely tick me off. I've never seen season 7. Maybe someday I will, because I do like completion and I'd like to see what they have planned for these new episodes coming up, but I'll probably have to skip large portions of season 6 to get there.

I think you're on to something when you say that it's probably better to come to season 6 in a binge-watch (as opposed to how I did it, which was to suffer, week by week, through each of the episodes), but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to look as kindly upon this season as you did, Roger. Even if I tried to re-watch the entire series and give season 6 another chance, I'm afraid I would feel that great annoyance stir up all over again and not be able to see it with new eyes, instead remembering just how much it frustrated me the first time around.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

I felt like the writing was insulting. I don't like being treated as if I'm supposed to just "go along" with anything the writers present, no matter how stupid or outlandish. They turned the entire show unnecessarily soap opera-y, all simply to keep Lorelai and Luke apart. Surely there were better, much more believable ways to accomplish that, without wrecking the characters. I mean, seriously? A secret love child? And then suddenly Lorelai and Luke stop behaving like themselves, all just to keep the melodrama going? It felt ridiculous and annoying and unnecessary to me, so yes, I felt great vitriol. Spewing, seething, great vitriol. *GRIN*

• Love 2

This is such a rough season. I binged watched this thing on Netflix. Luke freaking out about Christopher (rightly so, I'd say) and secrets and then not saying anything to Lorelai about April is just insane to me.

And then Lorelai sleeping with and eloping with Christopher, who might be rich, but is still an idiot, is such an eff you to Luke, it's painful to witness.

The things that work are the bits with Richard and Emily finally realizing how right Lorelai are about Logan's terrible family. Emily laying in to Shira Huntzberger is a classic.

Logan is fine and fine for Rory.

As an aside, I've always loved the pictures of the potential dads April uses on her science fair project.

• Love 2

I must agree with Luke, being afraid of introducing April to Lorelai, for fear of Lorelai taking over April. It would not have been long after meeting Lorelai, that April was consuming mass quantities of coffee and binge watching old TV shows while eating tater tots and pop tarts. On the bright side she would have clued April in on that experimental metabolism drug her and Rory have been using for years.

• Love 1