Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool

• Start Topic

Given how much Marvel is putting into Deadpool #27, which is coming out on Wednesday, I thought that I'd start a topic on the company's "Merc With A Mouth."

In case you haven't heard, Deadpool is getting married, and Marvel will be putting out an issue featuring every writer synonymous with the character. That includes Fabian Niciez (who co-created Deadpool with Rob Liefeld), Mark Waid, Joe Kelly, Christopher Priest, Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Gail Simone, Daniel Way and Victor Gischeler, along with present scribes Brian Posehn (yes, the comedian) and Gerry Dugan. Even at a $9.99 price tag, I'll be in.

Who's your favorite writer? I wound up getting all the "Deadpool Classic" books by Joe Kelly, even though I already had the issues. His work fleshed out Deadpool, and elevated himself into a higher tier. I think Priest's run was very disappointing, because I don't think Marvel's editorial department knew which way to take the character. I also like Posehn & Dugan's present run, though I still remain biased towards Kelly.

• Love 1

I think the best route would be through either Joe Kelly or Posehn/Duggan. Kelly's run is collected in a series of $29.95 trade paperbacks titled Deadpool Classic. The Posehn/Duggan run starts with "Dead Presidents," where a rogue mage resurrects all of America's deceased commanders-in-chief. Hilarity and carnage ensues, as SHIELD tabs Deadpool to put the presidents back to six feet under.

• Love 2

Out of curiosity, is anybody reading  Dracula's Gauntlet online? I'm limited tech-wise, so I'll probably wait until it's collected. It's a little jarring to see Wade suddenly hitched to Shiklah, because I don't read online-exclusive material.

So far, the Original Sin tie-in seems to be working well. If the search for Wade's daughter doesn't tickle your fancy, there's always Deadpool teaming with a time-displaced Dazzler (in her roller disco glory) to fight vampires.

• Love 1
(edited)

Except make a movie. Amirite?!?

I picked out the ninth volume of Deadpool Classic last week. While I got it at a discount, I would recommend it even at cover price ($29.99). It's Gail Simone's run of the end of the series, as well as the beginning on the follow-up book she wrote, Agent X. Fun stuff . . . especially the Dazzler issue and Rhino getting shrunk down and turned into a keychain. Sadly, the Agent X stuff doesn't have the "Shameful William" issue, which will kick off the next collection. For any Secret Six fans out there, I think of William as a prototype of Ragdoll in sheer perviness.

ETA: And if anybody in here likes Taskmaster from that book, might I recommend his limited series from writer Fred Van Lente. It's four issues, and includes "The Town That Was Hitler!" which just pops off the cover.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

In the character's defense, the color scheme looks easy to work with. It's kinda like Spider-Man's theme, only without the web lines. And there are a crap-ton of variations that can be made, which means that you'll always see Deadpool at just about any con.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the Cable & Deadpool series, particularly because Fabian Nicieza got to poke fun at the humourless mass of muscle, metal prosthetics and shoulder-pads that was Cable, the quintessential 90s character.

But that was at a time when Deadpool was actually under-exposed and rarely ever stepped outside of that book. Instead, characters came in to interact with him, and so all the craziness worked. The X-Men all having their stomachs turned when they see him dressed as Marvel Girl, the women in the Avengers being annoyed by him hitting on them, his bickering with Spider-Man. It was all a great diversion from the seriousness of mainstream Marvel books.

But what happens when the market is flooded with that whackiness? It's not whacky anymore. It's boring. Marvel never learned from over-exposing Wolverine, and I'll bet that they never do learn.

• Love 1

Aye, Wolverine was, is, and continues to be over-exposed. ("3 months" to die? Yeah, right; he'll be dying for the next FIFTEEN months.)

Of course, Punisher and Venom were similarly over-exposed for many, many years, but thankfully Marvel did [laregly] learn from THAT debacle.

I'm not normally a Deadpool fan; I've read sporadically over the years, and have been reading the newer stuff on and off. But I'm actually kinda liking "Draculas Gauntlet", and I loved the "Deadpool Max" series. (I thin that was the name of it, right?)

• Love 1

Yeah, Deadpool Max from David Lapham and Kyle Baker. I got the first two trade paperbacks, and it's a nice "adults only" twist on Deadpool's mythos, especially Baron Zemo as an American white supremacist. Also: Cable with a monocle.

• Love 1

For anybody who reads Uncanny Avengers . . . Spider-Man quit because they let in Deadpool? I guess it saves the artist confusion on which red-and-black figure is which, and it sets up the conflict in SM/DP. Also like the cliffhanger/jumping-off point:

in order for Deadpool to get the coveted role of being Lawful Good, he has to kill the guy Spider-Man bodyguards for, Peter Parker.

Nice twist from Joe Kelly . . . and he brings in an interesting gambit in dealing with Mindless Ones.

• Love 2