Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Rise Up

Broken record here. Clary is the only one I can still consistently see acting. The rest have become their characters. If Kat can get her shit together by next season there may be hope. If not, I hope she gets backburnered to "Jace's Squeeze" status and becomes less of a main character.

To be a little fair though, she's got some of the worst lines written for her. The scene where she says she and Jace need to talk about them and then after they kiss says "Nice talk" was just absolutely cringy.

I love Rafael. I hope they continue to make him more likeable than the book version. I find myself wanting to see more of him onscreen. And Simon seems more willing to work with the vamps than I expected him to be. I also really like the guy playing Simon. He's pretty good.

Why couldn't Alec tell Magnus the marriage was just politics? That was a bummer.

Kat remains the weak link in the cast, but I'm slowly getting used to her, so I guess that's something.

I thought Harry was great in his scene with Alec, you could see all the emotions on Magnus' face as they talked.

I continue to love Raphael and Simon.

Alec and Jace broke my heart a little bit, though I still hate those speed effects they use on the fight scenes.

• Love 1

A lot of focus on Alec and Simon, and, lo, the episode was sort of good. Sort of makes me want to go out and check to see if the sky is falling.

In hindsight, I realized that I liked this episode because there was limited Clary. Kat is really awful, which is funny because I don't remember her being quite this terrible on Happyland. I'm also not super into the actress playing Isabelle. The sexuality should be there, but she's still playing it turned to 11.

I kind of wanted to reach through my screen and punch Alec for making Magnus feel sad. How dare anyone make Magnus sad!

Agreed! Actually I felt like punching Alec several times while watching this episode. I hated how he treated both Magnus and Jace. Alec should really stop drinking Lydia's Kool-Aid. The Alec/Jace fight was heartbreaking, they both looked really upset at the end. I hope they make up soon. I'm glad though that Jace addressed Alec's feelings for him, at least that's out in the open now.

Other than Alec's sucky behaviour, it was a pretty enjoyable episode. I enjoy Raphael and his snarky oneliners immensely, especially those about the werewolves. It was nice seeing vampires, werewolves and Shadowhunters all work together to free Meliorn.

• Love 3

In terms of acting, nothing was worse than Jace's ridiculously OTT "tortured" face when Clary was all over Simon at the end. I laughed so hard.

This was ok, I guess. But they are burning through a stupid amount of plot and having Simon turn and be in with the vampires at episode 9 while also having Clary calling herself a Shadowhunter (been a whole week, guys!) and Jace and Alex coming to blows - it's all too much. There's been almost no establishment of characters, let alone any real world building. Is Alex behaving strangely right now? I mean, the rest of the cast is telling me so but all I've seen is sullen, repressed and rebellious so what do I know?

And the big thing for me - I thought I missed something because Alec seemed to be trying to find the Cup but he was the one who helped Clary hide it in the vault. And then they needed his stele to get it out of the vault, which meant I remembered correctly so why was he tossing her bedroom and telling Jace that he had to get Clary to give him the Cup - wherever it was. I thought he might have been covering for her but he and Jace were alone so why would he pretend to Jace he didn't know something he did? The clumsy writing in this is doing the show no favours.