Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: The Beast of Beacon Hills

With the identity of the Beast finally revealed, Scott and his friends are in a race against time to stop The Dread Doctors from implementing their final plan.

Dread Doctors are now the Dead Doctors, so there's that.  I was kind of hoping Theo would be dead at the end of the episode, but no such luck.

I see Jordan invested in some asbestos pants.  Still nice to see him shirtless; there's been a noticeable lack of shirtlessness these last few episodes.

What? So what, there's no more Mason now? Mason turned into Gilles Marini? I saw his name in the credits so the ending was barely a shock for me. 

I guess they'll find a way to bring Mason back...maybe. Because if they don't, that was a pretty shit ending for Mason. It was nice to get full confirmation though, because I truly thought they were going to red herring us. 

Bye Kira! Again! Seriously, bye. 

Desert Wolf still bores me, and I don't really get why they have to have multiple villains in an episode. Dread Doctors, the Beast, Desert Wolf, Theo, Gerard, Deucalion....  Too much was going on and that's why the episodes become crammed and confusing. 

• Love 1

*sigh* I'm still trying to figure out if Parrish is dead, undead, sort of dead, etc.

Felt like nothing happened. Not really. Again. Even the apparent demise of the surgeon and other DDs was just a meh as they haven't been in a gazillion episodes anyway. :::shrug:::

Poor Mason.

I'd probably be interested in Marisol Nichol's DW if she did more than show up, get shot at or shoot at someone, then *poof* be gone.

And, as much as I <3 JR Bourne, I'm tired of seeing Argents be in play and whine about how its really all about their family. Just get the job done- criminy.

Is this the fourth or fifth episode where Scott has been useless? Maybe I missed a scene where he was effectual?

I'm ready for this to get better. At least last week was a coherent narrative (well, working around the lacrosse game carnage anyway). 

I think I’m just getting more and more frustrated because I'm still expecting things to be coherent. Maybe if I suspended any sense of rationality, I could actually enjoy the show. But their habit of doing stuff because it's funny or looks cool drives me crazy. As it is I'm left with a bunch of questions: 

- Why is it always raining? Isn’t this supposed to be California?

- Where does the blood go when the body heals? Did somebody give Scott a sponge bath while he was asleep?

- Why would Braeden – a US Marshall, no less – throw a gun?

- Why did they need Theo to find Mason if it was Liam who sensed him?

- Why are some of them at school and some aren’t? Are the seniors playing hookey all the time? No use filling in application forms in that case, I should think.

- Why is Scott so very useless as a fighter? He's always cowering somewhere watching others fight his fights.

- What is Braeden even doing? Isn’t she supposed to catch/kill the Desert Wolf? And yet when she has her incapacitated on the floor, she does... nothing – except run away?

- Why have the Argents turned into a couple of self-obsessed old men, who talk about nothing but "our family"?

Favorite bit:
“Who?”
Whom.”
“Who?”

• Love 2

This one was enjoyable enough, as long as you plaster over the holes in the writing.

​The bad:

- ​That first tunnel scene was so dark I couldn't see a thing. Five minutes of wasted screen time.

​- ​Speaking of dark, putting Kira on a patch of sand on a pitch black soundstage with a tiny ring of light doesn't fool me into thinking they shot in the Southwest again. There are deserts close to LA where they could have faked a little context.

- Speaking of Kira, the whole skinwalkers visit the first time was a mistake; this one is flat out inexplicable. Except that the explanation is the writers wanted some way to get Kira out of the fight and then show up in a nick of time next week, so this trip will be not a mistake. (Seriously, after last time, her showing up should result in them dragging her under the sand and keeping her for all eternity, but it won't. Because lazy writers.)

​- ​Braeden not shooting the Desert Wolf when she was down—preposterous, and again, pure writerly convenience.

​The ambivalent:

​- On the one hand, I love Stiles comic relief. On the other, Stiles not being able to handle a gun (even more than Stiles not being able to pick a lock) seems a stretch.

​- We got the DD story finally! (Nazi werewolf, whatever.) Still no explanation of why they would resurrect the murderous Beast rather than enjoy their prolonged lives.

​The good:

​- Stiles comic relief.

​- Kira's dad's grammar lesson.

​- Deucalion chewing scenery, at Theo's expense.

​- The dwindling of Theo's pack. (I'm hoping Tracey is planning to slip off with the Desert Wolf behind Theo's back.)

​- The dwindling of the Dread Doctors.

​- Scott reaching out and grabbing invisible!Corey.

​- Braeden, from the pistachio trick to the badass fighting (minus the issue mentioned above).

​- We have all learned a valuable lesson on the heroism of Toyotas.

​- On the one hand, I love Stiles comic relief. On the other, Stiles not being able to handle a gun (even more than Stiles not being able to pick a lock) seems a stretch.

Seriously Stiles? Your dad is the sheriff. How do you not know how to use a gun?

• Love 2

Motivation? What is this thing called motivation? You say our characters are supposed to have it? Meh... here's some slow mo in the rain.

I have a suggestion for the creators of Teen Wolf: make the next season for binge watching. I feel like maybe I would enjoy this stream of consciousness thing in one hit rather than dribbled out in incoherent 40 minute bits. And who on Earth thought it was a good idea to silo everybody into different sub plots and locations?

• Love 2
(edited)

This is more of a general criticism but it showed itself again in this episode.  The one thing I don't understand from Davis and Co. is their aversion to progressing Stiles and Lydia's relationship.  At this point, that ship clearly moves the needle the most for this show.  And while this is a sci-fi show, it is also a teen drama and you would think they would play that relationship up more.  But they don't.  We see more interaction between Mason/Invisible boy and Liam/Hayden then we do these two main characters.  It's not just frustrating but it defies logic to me.  

Edited by MV007
  • Love 3

Favorite bit:

“Who?”

Whom.”

“Who?”

That was my favorite bit too,  Too bad it will go over the head of 90% of their audience.

Things that must be BANNED from Teen Wolf: rain and slow mo. ENOUGH!

And scenes so dark you can't see a thing (ie, 90% of the scenes).  Yuck!

The one thing I don't understand from Davis and Co. is their aversion to progressing Stiles and Lydia's relationship.

I'd like for them to acknowledge how much they mean to each other, but avoid a romance.  I like Stiles & Malia and Lydia & Parish more than Stiles & Lydia.

• Love 2

I'd like for them to acknowledge how much they mean to each other, but avoid a romance.  I like Stiles & Malia and Lydia & Parish more than Stiles & Lydia.

Yes.  I mean, whether you want them together romantically or not, I just don't understand why their relationship isn't a bigger part of the show.

• Love 1