Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Hiding In The Light

The Ship of the Imagination travels back in time to reveal 11th century Europe and North Africa during the golden age of Islam, when brilliant physicist Ibn al-Haytham discovered the scientific method and first understood how we see, and how light travels. Later, William Herschel discovers the infrared and the signature hidden in the light of every star, eventually unlocking one of the keys to the cosmos.

Original air date 2014-04-06

Oh Cosmos, how can I not love you after having a light show set to Gershwin! 

I thought the episode did a nice job of showing the science and history of electromagnetic and sound spectrum. 

Tyson seems wonderstruck when he presents and I find that charming and contagious. 

• Love 3

I liked how the random act of kindness and education allowed Bavaria to become an international glass powerhouse. 

Definitely learned something new about the Fraunhofer lines. I knew the lines were there, but didn't know why.  

Loved the music segments of the show. I also liked the bit about the act of kindness. I often find myself wondering just how many people could have been really brilliant at something they never tried to do for whatever reason.

I think this episode had a better balance of science vs entertainment.

• Love 1

Agree with others that this was an excellent episode. There were things that were new to me, the explanation of light waves--with the mix of history and scientific explanation--was really interesting and artistic touches (the organ and...Gershwin!) worked beautifully, as did the graphics, especially of the atom. Something seemed different about NDT, too...softer, not trying as hard?

I think this would have seemed "too hard" to begin with, but it was great to see the series improving every week (big jump forward this week, imo!)

• Love 1