Type keyword(s) to search

12/2015 Five Season Marathon!

candall
  • Start Topic

Anyone else losing ten hours a day for five days between Christmas and New Year?  No?  What, people have lives?

ACK!  I was only going to watch that first episode, because it's so good, and here I am on the third day, not answering my phone so I don't miss anything.

Oh my, has there ever been better tv than that first season?  And having seen all the episodes, there's so much I didn't pick up on the first time around.  The prostitute in the bath with Daenerys' brother, saying she'd seen "a man who could change his face the way others change clothes."  Hello!  She also mentioned a pirate who wore gold and had a ship with sails made of colored silk. . .can't wait!

I enjoyed fast-forwarding through all the long snowy scenes of Jon Snow being sexually tempted by his prisoner, whatshername wilding redhead.  Yes, yes, get it on and get it over with already.

Really disliking Catelyn this time around.  And Theon!  People keep wondering whether he might step up and save Saansa, but yeesh, I'd forgotten how horrible he was.  Didn't he pick up any shred of backbone or honor from the Starks during all those years?  It can't all be nature over nuture.

Cerce and Joffrey scenes are riveting--I still think they got rid of a first-rate villain too soon (and not painfully enough.)

Well, this thread will probably be wiped out for being too tiny and specific in the giant complicated GoT forum, but I'd love knowing someone else was running out the 2015 clock in Westeros.

I found the marathon by accident, but it was in time to start the entire marathon. On Tuesday I had some things I had to do, so I watched it on the HBO West channel which gave me an extra three hours to do errands and then watch a season. I had forgotten so much! And, having seen the entire series I could catch all the foreshadowing. I also could follow the characters/names more. Candall, I agree with all of your assessments. I really disliked Catelyn even more than I had the first time through-and, again, I didn't feel as sorry for Theon being captured by Ramsey on this rewatch. Don't get me wrong; I just don't treat fictional characters the same as real people so I don't mind vengeance, etc.

On the rewatch I also felt that Brienne came across worse than in my initial viewing. She and Catelyn both seemed to make things worse than they would have been otherwise. I'm also rooting for a Sansa and Tyrion renewed relationship. And, Jaime was really cocky before he lost his hand.

Stannis and his storyline still makes me livid. And, I really felt like Danny is super entitled. Things could have gone very differently if she hadn't always demanded and threatened.

This was the best possible way for me to spend these days. Watching all of the episodes in this short of a span really moved the stories and strengthened my understanding. This is a wonderful and beautifully shot series.

• Love 2

I loved being able to turn on the TV or Verizon app and have GoT there to watch no matter the time.

I started with ep 1 and it was amusing - morbid, but amusing - to go through the ep and say "dead, dead, dead, dead, maybe dead?" basically any time a new character popped up onscreen.

Brienne really is the worst, only because she keeps saying "I swore an oath to protect {fill in the blank}" because they're all dead or worse than dead. Not doing a very good job, Brienne!

I still haven't watched the end of "The Viper and the Mountain" and have no intention to.

Knowing what came next, watching Littlefinger reassure Sansa in the crypts that she can woo Ramsey with her feminine wiles was so sad.

Arya's season five story still dragged on for me.

• Love 1

I started with ep 1 and it was amusing - morbid, but amusing - to go through the ep and say "dead, dead, dead, dead, maybe dead?" basically any time a new character popped up onscreen.

I do the same thing.  The mortality rate among characters in early episodes is astonishing, for example, the characters who were present when Ned executed the deserter from the Night's Watch.

Even when they're not dead, they're often either in exile, suffered some disability or been enslaved at one time or another.

On Wednesday, I had an appointment in town.  When I got in the car, my distance vision was blurry because I'd spent 45 hours focusing between 18" (laptop) to 8' (television).  But I'm saving those last five episodes because it was so fun, I hate for it to be over.  Note to self:  you have an addictive personality.

Here's something I'm wondering:  does everyone consider The Red Wedding the most powerful incident of the show?  To me, mm-hmm, many significant people were killed (and a direwolf, waaa) but there's SO much rape and torture strewn through this series, I wasn't terribly shaken by all the throat-slitting and betrayal. 

Ned's beheading was stunning, because--ha!--we were all so innocent then. I really liked the redhead prostitute from Winterfell and we got to know her--she was smart and spunky!  Her death was more shocking to me than anything from the wedding.  Not even to mention, every time they show a flayed-alive anatomy illustration, my stomach twists.

I've been rewinding some of the satisfying moments for extra punch.  Cersei's always good for those.  She's so smug when taunting Tyrion about marrying Sansa and her "wait. . .what?" reaction, when Tywin informs her about Ser Loras, is delicious.  I liked Lysa going through the moon door and Slynt's beheading.  I'll probably make a five-second Vine when Ramsey Snow-Bolton gets his.

Brienne really is the worst, only because she keeps saying "I swore an oath to protect {fill in the blank}" because they're all dead or worse than dead. Not doing a very good job, Brienne!

Well, I have never fought a shadow or missed out on a wedding, so I am going to just say that being a private contractor is a tough job, you have to pay your own medical insurance and figure out your own taxes at the end of a year?