Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Mee-Maw

Meh. I don't care about Ali's whatever it is she's got going on. Same with Sarah. I guess Josh's story is the most interesting of the three kids, but honestly, I feel like the show is getting away from its original premise and is developing into more of a prime time drama that happens to have a lead that's trans. I understand that it would be rehashing to go through how the family's dealing with it, and perhaps they don't want to delve into Maura's choice of whether or not to have surgery (and if she doesn't know, she doesn't know), but I feel like the trans parent is now just a snippet of the storyline. I might feel differently if I liked the characters more but really, it feels like the most interesting element of the show has been back-burnered.

I'm seeing a bunch of privileged, self-absorbed, upper-middle class Californians, and honestly, it's not all that interesting and I can't relate to much of it. I'll finish the season to see if it ends up somewhere to carry me into season three. If it doesn't, I'll call it done after this season. The acting is solid, and Jeffrey Tambor is great, but I feel like I've hit a wall with it.

• Love 9

Yeah, these past two episodes have been a real let-down from what I thought was a really strong start to the season. For me, I am honestly so over all of the gratuitous nudity and in-your-face sex with the daughters. NOT because I have any issues with nudity or sex (I mean, I love the show, so I hope that's obvious) but rather because it feels like it's just there to be there - because we're Transparent and we do edgy sex shit! - and it distracts (for me) from the storyline. None of the nude bath stuff was necessary, nor, really was the dildo wearing during the day, other than to push the envelope. Which, again, I know is part of the point of the show. But I can't help but feel like the writers are like, "Where can we have them/what can we have them doing to shock viewers?," and it's gotten a little tiresome for me. 

(I hope I have my episodes right. I think both of the above scenes took place in this episode. May have been episode 4.)

In better news, Josh and Raquel (sp?) are the heart of the show for me, and I look forward to their scenes throughout the episode. I also love Maura's friends and am always happy to see them. One of them is just so stunning, I stare at her throughout the scene.

Edited by Freelancer
  • Love 6

This show is interesting in that virtually all  the main characters are selfish, immature people. It's hard to watch, yet I'm still compelled by the characters. Raquel--who I thought would be a more virtuous character--has fallen into the selfishness of the Pferffermans. Her relationship with Josh is doomed to fail, even if they last for years and years. Eventually Josh will blame her for preventing him from having a closer relationship with his son. I can't blame her for wanting to have a more conventional/traditional family life, but she never wanted Josh to have a parental relationship with his son and that is wrong. Josh would have been a terrible parent to Colton--and honestly I'm glad he went back to his family--but I doubt he'll be a better parent to his and Raquel's child. 

• Love 1

I felt like what motivated both Colton's family to come visit and Raquel to advice that Colton leave is Rita, or moreso, Josh's refusal to accept that Rita is not benign.  I think both Colton's parents and Raquel were worried that Colton would end up being molested by Rita much as Josh was, and when Raquel heard Josh say "Of course Rita will be here,"  followed by Josh not acknowledging that he was a victim, Raquel knew it wasn't a safe place for Colton...and probably not for her baby.

I don't think that Rita would molest her own son. There's a huge difference between a twenty-something babysitter having sex with a teenaged boy she's not related to, and a fortyish woman having sex with her own son. I would hope her parents would know that.

• Love 1

Poor Colton. He really wanted to stay and get to know Josh, but I think that ultimately it was better for him to go home. His parents are more conservative than the Pfeffermans, but they will provide more structure and consistency than Josh is capable of. I just wish Josh had had the ability to realize that and then verbalize that to Colton instead of putting it all on Raquel. Josh was never going to be more than the equivalent of the fun uncle. I know Colton is almost done with high school so he doesn't need a ton of fatherly guidance, but he was still not going to get any of that from Josh.

I also hated Josh wanting Raquel to wear that ring for Colton's parents. Hell, I know several people who are married and don't have rings for various reasons but it doesn't mean they're any less committed to each other.

I really felt for Josh when he found out that his parents had known about Colton all along. That has got to feel like a huge betrayal. But to be fair, what could of life could he have given Colton as a teen father?

Loved the re-done childhood photos. It was really cool to the original and the new one side by side.

Ha, I could never go to a life coach who said "intensive purposes" so I was telling Sarah to run and just give the other five sessions to someone else.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1