Type keyword(s) to search

Queen Madalena: Tilting Sharply Bitchward

Starting a thread for Madelenna!

I can't say enough how much I love the twist this character took, going from a mere bitchy love interest to a full-blown villain. She's so unapologetically evil that she puts Saint Woegina from OUAT to shame. THIS is how an evil queen should be!

• Love 1

It makes me wonder, did wealth and power really go to Madalena's head and corrupt her THAT fast, or was she evil all along and just pretending to be somewhat nice because Galavant was her best prospect and he obviously wouldn't have been interested in an openly heinous bitch?

It makes me wonder, did wealth and power really go to Madalena's head and corrupt her THAT fast, or was she evil all along and just pretending to be somewhat nice because Galavant was her best prospect and he obviously wouldn't have been interested in an openly heinous bitch?

Like many people, Galavant probably couldn't see beyond a pretty face.  He wasn't even aware that for Madalena, it was all physical and not true love.

• Love 3

I don't see getting laid as a particularly big challenge for Galavant; he's probably always spent more effort turning people down than actively pursuing them.

Well, no, I'm sure Galavant always has plenty of offers.  But, what I meant was, Madalena sleeping with him was all she needed to do to cloud his judgment and blind him to her true personality.  Yes, she certainly was on her best behavior whenever he was home from his quests, but she also kept him occupied and well-satisfied with their thrice daily more or less sessions that he wouldn't have had the time nor the inclination to see, much less believe, that she was anything less than what he built her up to be in his own mind - the beautiful damsel he was sworn to love, protect, and grow old with.

Even though Madalena is the "big bad" and a murderess, I still think they never made her completely and irredeemably evil. It was almost heartbreaking when she's in the Hortensian castle, and as she's saying her good-byes, she tells Gareth, "Thanks for the love."

And, of course, we saw her vulnerability with the mean girl queens and her "What am I Feeling?" song.

I think I saw this elsewhere, but is the consensus that Madalena was always evil, or was it exposure to the royal life that corrupted her? Was she using Galavant from the very beginning, hoping that life as the wife of a celebrated knight would be filled with riches and power? 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Even though Madalena is the "big bad" and a murderess, I still think they never made her completely and irredeemably evil. It was almost heartbreaking when she's in the Hortensian castle, and as she's saying her good-byes, she tells Gareth, "Thanks for the love."

And, of course, we saw her vulnerability with the mean girl queens and her "What am I Feeling?" song.

I think I saw this elsewhere, but is the consensus that Madalena was always evil, or was it exposure to the royal life that corrupted her? Was she using Galavant from the very beginning, hoping that life as the wife of a celebrated knight would be filled with riches and power? 

I don't think she's yet completely and irredeemably evil.  She was susceptible to Wormwood's influence and once the D'DEW wand broke she seemed fairly power-less.  If she starts savagely pillaging the Seven Realms and killing innocent people (which is pretty much everyone in the Seven Realms), and basically goes all Regina/Rumple/Dark One on us, then she'll probably crossed that line but she's not there yet.

I'm not sure I've seen any discussion about the origin of Madalena's evil character.  Personally, I think it was somewhat gradual.  The way her story was presented in the Pilot episode, I'd have classified her as more opportunistic than evil.  She saw a chance to live a far more comfortable, secure life as Richard's wife.  She was also perceptive enough to recognize what a boob Richard was and that she could withhold sexual relations from him and he wasn't likely to catch on.  Naturally, living that dangerously, she did what she needed to do (sending people to the dungeons) to prevent Richard from figuring it out.  And things just continued to progress as her ruthlessness increased.  Madalena is "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" personified.

• Love 3