Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: The Price You Pay

• Start Topic

I think the fact that Caitlyn willingly participated as a peripheral cast member in a reality tv show named after her step children suggests she doesn't have NPD.

DSM IV - TR gave the following diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Caitlyn is/was obviously not a person with an even keel, but unlikely to have NPD.

I genuinely mean this, thank you so much for posting. I've often thought someone in my own life was an undiagnosed narcissist, and this has proven me correct. This is the most valuable piece of information that I have ever gained from anything Kardashian-related. Bible!

There are some articles in the press from september that have the tabloids speculating about her weight loss and an eating disorder.

Or perhaps Kourtney is just one of those people who can't eat during times of high stress. Who knows. We see them take 2 or 3 bites of something on the show. That doesn't mean they eat the whole thing.

Kim is eating the whole thing and looking for more.

When we watch Caitlyn and listen to what she says, we tend to think 'selfish' and 'ego-maniacal' but I believe we're seeing a down-to-the bone clinical narcissist. There's a world of difference between what the Kardashians are and what Caitlyn always was. They are narcissistic yes, but Caitlyn has lived an entire lifetime as someone with a very real mental disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Most of us exhibit mild traits of narcissism; a certain degree of self interest is healthy and demonstrates good psychological health. Some of the traits of narcissism, such as inflated sense of self-confidence, arrogance and ego-centrism are frequently attributed to people with a “big ego”. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is often under-diagnosed as many high functioning individuals, like Caitlyn Jenner, are just considered people with big egos due to their successes. The greatest fear that Caitlyn Jenner has always had is the fear of not having attention focused on her and being thought of as being common.

I have a father who has been diagnosed with NPD by three different psychologists. While I do not know Caitlyn Jenner personally, true Narcissists are far more skilled and calculated than she. Someone with NPD will absolutely have a big ego, yes, but they will be smart enough to make it SEEM like they are all about their children or other people in public, then show a completely different face in public. If someone has NPD and those cameras are on, you bet they will make themselves look better through their SELFLESS actions, or how much they can't stop putting their children or others on a pedastal. You will catch a glimpse of their inflated ego here and there, but when they are "on", they never miss an opportunity to show their carefully cultivated public persona. The real selfish, "ego-maniac" side doesn't come out until the doors are closed and the curtain is down...and it is borderline unimaginable. For years, I questioned my OWN sanity becuase of my father's flip flopping and absolute denial of his own actions even 5 minutes prior.

I can't say what Caitlyn Jenner may or may not have, because I don't know what she is like when she isn't edited on camera. I can tell you that my father is 10,000 times more awful, hurtful, abusive, and manipulative. He is a master at gaslighting.

Is Caitlyn selfish? Yeah, I think so. Is Caitlyn the best parent? Nah, not so much. I think she's made some really bad decisions when it comes to her kids. Do I think that Caitlyn has NPD? No. I just don't see it.

• Love 2

Kourtney has an eating disorder Is this for real ? I see her eating (literally) ALL the time.

It's beyond annoying all the shovelling food and constant chewing

But I'd not heard this before....

There is no evidence of this. Someone threw out the accusation like it was fact, but it's not at all. That's how idiotic rumors begin. Kourtney has always been tiny, and more interested in healthy food and exercise than her sisters. I'd be shocked if she actually has an eating disorder since nothing we've seen supports that.

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 3

I don't think Kourtney is as obsessed with "bringing the sexy" the way Kim is. I think she's comfortable with her body even if she's a bit heavier than she was when much younger. I do think this break up hit her hard and since her body type is smaller than both Kim and especially Khloe, any weight she's lost thru stress or workouts shows quicker and more dramatically.

• Love 2

It doesn't seem like Kanye cares that much about Kim beyond trotting her out for events so he can show off his trophy wife. I think that's why she's constantly running back to family. They could easily lease a house, but they don't. They're a very strange couple.

Kanye probably still owns a house/condo in L.A. - it's possible only Kim and North go back to stay with Kris, and that might be due to filming/storytelling.

I really enjoy seeing all the kids - North and Reign are even included this season.

Edited by nexxie