Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Welcome Is Fashion and Ceremony

I really enjoyed this episode! I don't think I've ever laughed out loud at the show before but they got me twice tonight.

Liam being fun(ny)? Where did that come from? I always thought William was a little uncomfortable and stiff (I only know him from this and Narnia, so maybe that's just him), so that accent bit was a pleasant surprise. The Liam/Jasper pairing is a good one so far, I just wish I didn't have a sour taste in my mouth about Jasper (I'm rewatching S1 on Amazon Prime, which has reminded me of his icky beginnings). Sorry, but I don't sympathize with him and his Eleanor feels. Anyway, I guess he really is on Liam's side, if he's vocalizing, on his own, that he's going to avenge Simon's death. Will we ever find out who he really is?

Another LOL moment for me was Cyrus' "lung cancer in my balls" quip. I was thinking he was full of it but based on the ending, I guess he really does have cancer (or someone's paying off a doctor to make him think he does). What kind of treatments is he getting? If he was getting chemo, he'd have some hair loss, wouldn't he? I think I'd lose it if they had some dramatic wig removal scene. I'm torn on whether I want him to live or not; the character is so foul but interesting, and the actor is really good. (Oh, another funny line was the "Haul Away" comment re: Holloway.)

So I'm guessing they recast one of Cyrus' daughters? Extreme plastic surgery, "new voice"... luckily it fits in with the cheesiness of the show. From what little we saw, the new actress looked and sounded young. Don't know why this happened but hopefully it won't be a bad change.

I like Eleanor's new bodyguard... I hope he's legit because I think they'd have a lot of fun together, with their snarky banter. And I think he could be a father-figure for her, someone on her side who doesn't want to bone her. Speaking of boning, the Beck/Eleanor sex scene was very nice but I can see they're already setting up Beck's downfall... she wants to party and he wishes she would stop. How long until Jasper swoops in? Because apparently that's what we should be rooting for. Meh.

Lovely moment with Liam and Eleanor on the boat... I always forget they're twins, though, even with all the mentions of it.

I'm not sure, was I supposed to be amazed by the new PM being a bad ass, or is this a major actor that I just don't recognize? As for the previous PM, did Lucius take care him like he did the Queen's lover? At least we won't see his butt anymore, geez.

Oh, Ophelia. For some reason, I had it in my mind that we wouldn't be seeing her until the end of the season. Well, I don't think they'll be back on, at least not yet.

• Love 1

I don't know - while I enjoyed the episode last night, I wish I knew where the show is going.  I thought that they wanted to uncover who killed King Simon (and, please, can he really NOT be dead???), find out about that Domino group, expose the coverup about the faked blood tests of Eleanor and Liam?  What happened to that?  It was interesting at the end of the show when Jasper looked up at that camera and said that "I will avenge you" - was he talking to Simon?  Is Ted (Ophelia's dad-?) keeping Simon hidden somewhere secret?  

This episode, while comic and over the top, was just a little TOO over the top for me.  Cyrus dressing in the full royal robe and crown regalia~~he seems to just be making fun of the thing he aspired to most - being the King of England.  Helena prancing about the castle wearing, presumably, some of the crown jewels, and then attending to a dead Prime Minister and cutting panties off his body?  The two assistants basically verbally duking it out over which of their "bosses" would win?  Cyrus kidnapping and actually placing the Member of Parliament in an ACTUAL cage?  Just too, too much ridiculousness for me.  

On the other hand, lots and lots of eye candy....Beck - woo-hoo!!  Liam is looking very sexy these days, Jasper is Jasper, and Eleanor's new body guard...I thought he was definitely good looking, in that "silver fox" way.  I really liked the interaction between him and Eleanor - I hope they keep him around for a while, and I hope that he doesn't hop into Helena's bed, if she gets a look at him.

Cyrus' testicular cancer storyline is going to be interesting, but are they leading up to another Royal dying and then, the question about who will succeed - Helena, Liam, or one of the two twits of Cyrus' (and, I guess the previous actress was not renewed, hence the storyline about plastic surgery and new voice?).  Could that be this season's cliffhanger?  

I also didn't like the "new" acting Prime Minister - I guess the writers want to have some type of "tough broad" foil for Helena?  

Any reservations I had after S2E1 are GONEZO. Episode 2 is everything I love about this show: 

• Liam and Jasper on a stakeout = legit LOL. Loved that whole segment.
  • Sweetly emotional scenes between Eleanor and Liam; I love how this show can be so dumb and soapy and still manage scenes and dialogue that feel authentic.
  • Ridiculous Cyrus! So good. Including his balls storyline. Perfect. And great zingers like calling Liam "Hardly Boy" and "Bubbles." God damn, he's good. Another legit LOL at his, "People are such dicks" line.
  • Great (platonic) chemistry between Eleanor and her new bodyguard. I like this guy.
  • Even though the Prime Minister scene was way over the top, I loved it. This show just goes for it and owns the crazy and I love that.
  • Speaking of owning the insanity, I kind of love that they are addressing what is clearly a cast change with an utterly insane plastic surgery storyline. Can't wait for the unveiling.
  • I had the same thought about the new Prime Minister; felt like a big reveal for...what? Am I supposed to know that actor? Am I just supposed to be shocked that it's a woman? But, interested to see where this goes; she clearly won't take any shit from Helena. Could be fun.
  • Still not digging the floppy, apologetic puppy love version of Jasper but, whatever. He's still nice to look at.
  • Love 1

I don't know - while I enjoyed the episode last night, I wish I knew where the show is going.  I thought that they wanted to uncover who killed King Simon (and, please, can he really NOT be dead???), find out about that Domino group, expose the coverup about the faked blood tests of Eleanor and Liam?  What happened to that?  It was interesting at the end of the show when Jasper looked up at that camera and said that "I will avenge you" - was he talking to Simon?  Is Ted (Ophelia's dad-?) keeping Simon hidden somewhere secret?  

Where is this show going is a question I am also asking. All of a sudden they come up with a reason why Cyrus couldn't have stabbed Simon, are they trying to redeem him? Are they just going to leave him as king? What are Liam & Eleanor going to be doing? There doesn't seem to be any story left in this show.

• Love 1

Where is this show going is a question I am also asking. All of a sudden they come up with a reason why Cyrus couldn't have stabbed Simon, are they trying to redeem him? Are they just going to leave him as king? What are Liam & Eleanor going to be doing? There doesn't seem to be any story left in this show.

Yeah, I am side-eyeing all the retconning/redeeming they're doing. It's especially irritating with Jasper. If they wanted him as a potential love interest, they shouldn't have had him force Eleanor to have non-consensual sex, although I imagine hardly anyone remembers that at this point.

And I guess one of the princesses must have been re-cast, hence the plastic surgery gag?

I've been with a Mark Schawn show before. Yes, I suffered though 9 seasons of One Tree Hill and half the time, stuff was happening that didn't make sense. They pretty much retconned that entire series by the end of it A large part of that may have been because the behind the scenes drama of that show was all messy and entangled, but yeah. I do like this show, even with it's  nonsense. 

The only relationship I really enjoy is Liam and Eleanor's sibling one- Eleanor by the way is the best character on this show- that's the only one that feels authentic in some way. Jasper is hot and everything but.. I just.. there's really no coming back from all the stuff he did, even though this show will probably retcon that too. 

I don't know who is "evil" and who is "good"? Last season's end made it seem like Helena and King Cyrus were in cahoots together, so the show made it seem like they had planned King Simon's death? Even the episode before this one, Cyrus told Helena to not wear black anymore and act she is still mourning, so, it seemed like they had? Its so confusing.  

I binge-watched this show because I wasn't feeling well, but the scene of Cyrus shoving his lover into an actual cage actually had me hooked. I actually laughed out loud. 

I really want Beck and Len to get together, she's so much more than a party girl, she's worthy to be Queen if she ever decided she wanted it. She's clearly in pain and she needs stability. 

Poor Cyrus, testicular cancer and those two monstrosities are his legacy. He's evil and venal and a rapist and likely murderer, but he's so entertaining. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I am side-eyeing all the retconning/redeeming they're doing. It's especially irritating with Jasper. If they wanted him as a potential love interest, they shouldn't have had him force Eleanor to have non-consensual sex, although I imagine hardly anyone remembers that at this point.

And I guess one of the princesses must have been re-cast, hence the plastic surgery gag?

Yeah, the retconning is reaching Pretty Little Liars level. At some point with that show, I stopped trying to make sense of the storyline and kept watching for the relationships. I think I'll do that here too.

Jasper  and Eleanor would horrify me in real life, but since it's fiction I'm willing to let a whole lot slide, disturbing as some of it was. Damn, but Jasper can wear a suit.

• Love 1