Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: The Living Doll

OnceSane

Dr. Nassif drew a penis in Elaine’s forehead.    I don’t blame her for not wanting a forehead flap.  She already had a horrible looking nose.  Having to walk around with a flap of skin hanging off her head would be really difficult. 

I am tired of people like Blondie.  They’re not botched.  She has a mental health issue.  She is body dysmorphic and needs help not more surgery.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 5

I dunno. 25 years of her nose, and Elaine couldn't hunker down for 4-6 weeks with the flap for the best possible results? I'm glad she liked her new nose, though. I don't understand why people like the lovely trans woman whose previous Dr. doubled the size of the breasts they agreed on don't sue their drs., and make them fix the mess. Not necessarily make them operate again, because the trust is gone, but make them pay for someone competent to fix their mess. Maybe there is a lawsuit or there was. 

Yeah, Goldie just has mental health issues. And apparently sponsors who pay for her life so she doesn't have to work. Old age will be more terrifying than her present.

• Love 4

Blondie's case made me think of Katella, who also wanted to be a doll. The difference was, the doctors spoke bluntly to Katella, told her to cut the shit, and suggested she get psychological help.

Why did they not do the same for Blondie? Could it be because she is thin, white, bankrolled, and not transgender?

But don't worry, Blondie is going to be just fine, she is having "reinforcement" hypnotherapy. Great.

I know what makes them want to do this. I have felt it too.

But here's the kicker: The dolls are modelled on us.

I am so sick of seeing these mental cases and fame whores seeking extreme plastic surgery!  I want real people that are truly botched that can be helped.  There's at least one of these crazies in each episode and 99% they don't help them (except for the woman with the ginormous boobs that came back a second time and got a facelift and nose job).   I especially hate when they bring the crazies back again - like the woman with the ginormous boobs and that horrible Ken doll guy that they brought back as an "advisor" and that guy that wanted to look like Superman.  They make the show trashy and I hate them.

• Love 7

They're what's pulling in the viewers, apparently.  Otherwise we'd just be watching The Swan.

I too wondered at the nose lady.  I sense Paul didn't push her because she really has been emotionally traumatized, rightfully so, and must have been fearing that somehow she might end up with a hole in her forehead as well as her nose.  

But since the 4-6 week period of waiting was just about the same length of time for both surgeries, and she had already waited 20 years, I wish she would have just decided to stay home and deal.  (And maybe I'm callous, but in the intervening 20 years, wouldn't it just have made more sense to put a nose cast on as a disguise and go about whatever you wanted to do in public?  People would think "wow -- she broke her nose" so there would still be attention, but at least it wouldn't be horrified reactions. Maybe she tried and it was too much.

My nephew had to have some reconstructive plastic surgery on his forehead after a car accident.  The surgeon talked to us ahead of time about 10 foot scars, 20 foot scars, etc; in other words, is this a deformity that people will spot from x feet away or y feet away?  

I'm glad she was thrilled with the result and the hole was gone and the nostrils were open making her breathing easier.  But those were still 10 foot scars, and the most noticeable difference in the before/after photos was the fact that she was wearing makeup.    But if she went as far as her delicate emotional state would permit, I wish her every happiness.

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm glad the nose lady is happy with the results, and she can now cover the scar with makeup, and she feels more confident and is wearing makeup in general. I think what she had before was a 50 foot scar, and with makeup it might be a 10 foot scar now. Mainly her demeanor has changed, and she is out in the world engaging and expecting to be treated normally. It was sweet seeing her daughter tear up for her.

I wish they'd stop with the people whose primary problem is mental illness. I don't like to watch them, especially juxtaposed with people with real problems that have caused them real suffering. And, I think they all want attention and giving it to them doesn't help them.

• Love 6

If they're going to keep having these sad plastic surgery addicts on the show, I wish they'd have a companion episode where they person goes in for a psychiatric assessment.   Blondie therapy alone would buy several yachts for a psychiatrist.   

• Love 4

That hypnotist made me legitimately angry. "You're entitled to who you want to be," which is "tits on a stick". If she was anything other than the hypnotherapist equivalent of a quack, she would tell "Blondie" to get actual psychological help.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I'm also glad the nose lady was happy with the results ,  and I did think it looked pretty good. Really though, I think Dr. Nassif could have knocked it out of the park if she'd been willing. 

If it were me, I'd have gone all the way. Why not? What's an extra 6 weeks when you've had twenty-four years of serious emotional trauma and physical discomfort? A little bit of hiding out or wearing some extra bandages? Meh, easy.  For me it would be a no(se)-brainer.  

It's not like she''d have the elephant trunk forever.  I'd be thinking long-term, but, some people want the $5 now instead of the $10 next week. I suppose she had her reasons, and she does seem pretty happy with the results. It actually turned out better than I thought it would.

Blondie--ugh. I agree with what other posters have already said; she needs work on her brain, not her boobs.

Most of the women in family are small(er)-chested, but I somehow hit the genetic boob-lottery, lol. (Mom and Sis hit the "perfect ass" lottery, while mine is  nice-but-average, so I guess fair is fair, haha)  I love my bewbs. They're just right, and I've always been super happy and confident about my breasts.   But ...IF that weren't the case, IF I wanted breast augmentation (or if I ever needed it ), no WAY would I want the bolt-on look. I get that some like that look, but I think it look silly. There is nothing sexy about it at all -- my opinion, of course. Tits on a stick, indeed...

• Love 1

Something that I learned about in my history of medicine class a million years ago is that nasal reconstruction using a forehead flap is a surgery that has existed for thousands of years. Elaine really should have gone for it because it has the benefit of just redirecting a local blood supply. Plus, I've seen some fantastic results using the forehead flap, but it is UGLY while healing.

I wish this show would stop featuring mentally ill plastic surgery addicts. They need some real discussion of body dysmorphia.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I also feel like after 25 years she might have been able to put up with 6 weeks of forehead/nose flap, but she seemed stunted in some ways, maybe partly emotionally arrested at the age of the accident? She used the word "terrified" to describe what she thought her reaction would be to the forehead nose surgery, which seems like a weird word choice. So, I'm glad she's happy with the result. Therapy might also do her some good, to help her move on.

• Love 2

I think it's genuine PTSD -- she went in for surgery once and came out maimed.  So it's not an unreasonable fear on her part that a seriously (though temporary) disfiguring solution might also backfire in a horrific way.  

We saw one of those flaps on a previous person (not from the forehead though, I don't think) and it was pretty nasty looking.  Paul did seem open to doing it in the future, so maybe she will research and her good experience now will give her confidence.  Or maybe she's just where she needs to be, emotionally. 

• Love 1