Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

Here's another interesting tidbit. ABC is going to be introducing a show next season called Quantico. That just so happens to be what CM was originally going to be called until they changed it. It also going to be produce by the same production company as CM is.

• Love 1

Agreed about Quantico. It sounds like it'll be a cast of unrealistically beautiful 20-somethings sleeping with each other. Plus it's on ABC which is a pretty soapy network.

• Love 2

Agreed about Quantico. It sounds like it'll be a cast of unrealistically beautiful 20-somethings sleeping with each other. Plus it's on ABC which is a pretty soapy network.

Oh barf.

• Love 3

To EM's credit she has yet to pair up any team members together, which seems like a minor miracle when you consider how "personal" the show has become over the past few seasons.

• Love 3

To EM's credit she has yet to pair up any team members together, which seems like a minor miracle when you consider how "personal" the show has become over the past few seasons.

Well, even a stopped clock is right two times a day.

• Love 3

So the spin-off just got picked up for next season. Interestingly Anna Gunn won't continue with it. I wonder if it was her decision or if the network felt she didn't work. The general feedback from people online after the episode aired seemed negative towards her and her character.

So the spin-off just got picked up for next season. Interestingly Anna Gunn won't continue with it. I wonder if it was her decision or if the network felt she didn't work. The general feedback from people online after the episode aired seemed negative towards her and her character.

Hmm, I wonder how much negative feedback had to do with Gunn's character on the spin-off or anger towards her character on Breaking Bad.

Here's another interesting tidbit. ABC is going to be introducing a show next season called Quantico.

I don't know anything about this new show, but ABC is nicknamed Already Been Cancelled for a reason, and they just axed Forever, which I'm incredibly annoyed about. If they're planning to replace that with this,  it might end up being a No Sale.

I do agree with this, and I was just saying to someone the other night that the show hasn't really produced any shippers wars, which I'm grateful for.

• Love 2

Absent a season 11 thread, I'll put this here.

The Deadline article indicates that they were asked to trim the budget.  So perhaps they will be motivated to find a way to move forward without a permanent filler of that seventh spot on the team.  Of course, they could also save money by forgoing explosions, and helicopters, and seagoing vessels.  Maybe they could do an entire episode without ever actually showing the unsub, thereby saving money on a guest star.

That got me thinking about the actual team.   Faced with their own budget crisis, what could they do? 

• Love 5

That got me thinking about the actual team.   Faced with their own budget crisis, what could they do? 

Get used to flying coach I imagine.

I was worried that despite EM not wanting to bring in a new cast member the network would overrule her, so I'm also taking this budget cut as a good thing. And less unsub as a result would be pretty amazing.

• Love 1

Well, if the budget is going to be a bit tighter, I bet they won't recast the seventh spot (thankfully). It also likely means they may not be as generous with the raises, so I am curious who they are still negotiating with. It could be almost any of them.

If the team as it exists on the screen was real, there are some easy ways to cut the budget. First ditch the plane. Do more consults from Quantico and not on the ground. Send any on the ground consultants by economy air, and then send one or two at most. They need to start sharing rooms on the road. Basic, practical stuff like that.

• Love 3

Yeah, it might be interesting if they have 2 cases and send 3 here and 2 there, as they did in Damaged. They wouldn't both have to be the active kind, maybe a cold case for one, or someone on death row, like Chester Hardwicke. Someone in a trial like Tabula Rasa. You know, have some imagination, mix it up!!

Hell, have an entire episode where Reid is consulting on a case, and he thinks through the entire thing, looking at CS photos, interviewing people on the phone, profiling the linguistics and geography, never leaving his desk. He solves the case by talking to Morgan about obsessional aspects, getting Garcia to check on a few things, and it ends with him tracking down the unsub, and the first time we see the unsub, Reid and the LEOs are arresting him. No explosions, no soap opera, but it could be done in an interesting way.

• Love 6

Another thing they could do is stop getting these well know guest stars. Go back to using relatively unknowns and keep most of the focus on the team itself.

Also does any body know if they have to pay these so called guest stars according to the amount of screen time they get or is there a standard price no matter the amount of screen time they end up getting.

• Love 4

That probably all depends on the quality of their agents. I imagine big name guest star don't come cheap, regardless of how much screen time they actually get.

And from a show perspective, they could easily save some money by going back to the less outlandish scenes with elaborate stunts and explosions. And of course I would applaud a return to the more intellectual brand of profiling. Their ratings were very good back in those days, with minimal promotion and strong competition. So it's not like there is not an audience for smart, adult like storytelling. 

• Love 4
(edited)

One-time payments are budgeted for, and I imagine they have 3 or 4 a year that will accommodate a star that commands big bucks. I agree they could tell better stories by using mostly the team and unknown people who are revealed later as unsubs.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 2

One-time payments are budgeted for, and I imagine they have 3 or 4 a year that will accommodate a star that commands big bucks. I agree they could tell better stories by using mostly the team and unknown pwoplw who are revealed later as unsubs.

Well that is the way they did it in the earlier and better days of CM. I personally felt that EM came to rely way too much on these so called guest stars. Speaking of guest stars someone was saying that even though Jane Lynch is set to get a show on CBS. It'll still be next to impossible for CM to get her. Because her show is going to be produced by CBS studios while CM is produced by ABC studios.

Sadly, I don't ever expect to see Jane Lynch again, for many reasons, although I loved her as Reid's mother and would be ecstatic to be proven wrong about this.

• Love 3

Based on the fact that Jane guest starred on other shows while she was on Glee, I really don't think CBS or Fox or Jane's schedule can be blamed for her lack of appearance since season 4. I honestly think the writers/producers haven't seriously written a story for Diana Reid. It would be nice to see her again, but only if the story doesn't undermine the wonderful character relationship between her and Reid. For me, that was one of the more fascinating relationships from Criminal Minds, and I would hate to have my memories tarnished by crap writing.

• Love 6
(edited)

Well than it sounds like it'd be perfect for Erica Messer to be running.To bad she can't be shipped over there to run it. And as far as a way from CM as possible.

Whenever Erica utters something I want to say, "You go, girl!"-as in "You go, girl. No, I mean, go NOW! Bye!"

ETA: Can we replace EM with this delightful young gentleman. He certainly has a grasp on what makes a compelling story:

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/118787638336/i-also-want-to-be-a-writer-im-actually-working

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4
(edited)

So I am wondering just what it is that makes CBS decide which cast member(s) to send to Monte Carlo. And I mean other then the availabilty of the person.Matthew couldn't do it last year because he was filming a movie. And of course AJ Cook is going to be too far along in her pregnancy to be able to go again this year.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

Do we know if MGG is solo? Seems like it should have someone else, maybe JM.

From what I know so far MGG is the only cast member slated to appear at the Monte Carlo festival.

• Love 2

MGG will probably bring some family members along if cast members aren't going. He brought his brother to Japan when he went the first time. I think he brought his sister to Monte Carlo another time.

For a couple of years it seemed like he was not interested in CM at all and he didn't even mention it unless directly asked about it. But he seems like he has a bit of a renewed interest now. I hope that is a good sign for the show and that we won't get stuck with another season of mostly unsub and Reid getting less than 5 minutes in an episode. I'm sort of hoping that the budget cuts will mean they can't spend as much $ on guest stars so they will limit the screentime of unsubs. I hope it doesn't mean that they will cut back on good supporting characters like the cops and FBI agents though.

They will likely have to cut back on location filming a bit too. I wonder how much it would cost them to go to Gubler's Mom's ranch to film... I know its out of state, but its right near California. I admit, I'd love to see the team a bit out of their element and having to be around horses and away from technology.

• Love 4

Whenever Erica utters something I want to say, "You go, girl!"-as in "You go, girl. No, I mean, go NOW! Bye!"

HAH! I actually heard that in Margaret Cho's voice. Hilarious.

Do we know if MGG is solo? Seems like it should have someone else, maybe JM.

According to this, http://www.tvfestival.com/, Gubler is the only CM cast member who is confirmed. NCIS' Brian Dietzen and Terry Crews from Brooklyn Nine-Nine are also scheduled to appear, I haven't heard much about the Monte Carlo Festival except what I've heard here, is it basically the Cannes Festival for television?

• Love 2

According to this, http://www.tvfestival.com/, Gubler is the only CM cast member who is confirmed. NCIS' Brian Dietzen and Terry Crews from Brooklyn Nine-Nine are also scheduled to appear, I haven't heard much about the Monte Carlo Festival except what I've heard here, is it basically the Cannes Festival for television?

I have visited this website several times already and I seem unable to locate this. I did however come across the fact that CM has been nominated for some sort of international award along with NCIS and CSI. Now It's highly doubtful that it will get that reward. It's for the show that gained the most international viewers this year. My bet would be that NCIS gets it. But just the fact CM was even nominated tell me it must be doing pretty darn good with the international viewers.

• Love 2

I have visited this website several times already and I seem unable to locate this. I did however come across the fact that CM has been nominated for some sort of international award along with NCIS and CSI. Now It's highly doubtful that it will get that reward. It's for the show that gained the most international viewers this year. My bet would be that NCIS gets it. But just the fact CM was even nominated tell me it must be doing pretty darn good with the international viewers.

We international viewers ADORE CM! One of our leading TV channels has it playing every single day! And I know it is even more popular in France,

• Love 4

I have visited this website several times already and I seem unable to locate this.

MMC, there's a thing you have to scroll through to see the attendees. When you click the link, it should take you to the home page, where the program for the evening is listed. Gubler, Dietzen and Crews all have 'Confirmed' next to their pictures.

• Love 2
(edited)

MMC, there's a thing you have to scroll through to see the attendees. When you click the link, it should take you to the home page, where the program for the evening is listed. Gubler, Dietzen and Crews all have 'Confirmed' next to their pictures.

Well now that's funny this time when I clicked on it, his picture came up immediately so I didn't even have to search for it, like I had to the previous times I went to this website.

ETA: I do not know what in the world is going on.The category  International Television Audience Award which had CM listed as a nominee along with NCIS and CSI now appears to be empty.

ETA: LOL. The nominees appear to be back. But this time with a picture of their entire cast. Before it had only listed the cast.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

ETA: Can we replace EM with this delightful young gentleman. He certainly has a grasp on what makes a compelling story:

http://www.humansofn...ctually-working

He is a great photojournalist, mostly because the Humans of New York (and everywhere else) are amazing.  Everyone has a story to tell, and to be listened to.  It's just that most of us don't listen, most of the time.

Ding, ding, ding! I actually nicked this from Ms. Cho. So cool you figured it out.

• Love 2

http://www.criminalmindsroundtable.blogspot.com

I felt the reviews for these 2 episodes were excellent and pretty spot on even if I didn't agree with everything. I also loved the way she railed against JJ. It is more than apparent to me that this woman who wrote this is as fed up as many of us on here are with the need for JJ to dominate so damn many episodes. I loved how she totally called it as to why they dumbed Reid down just so they could have another excuse to jam JJ into another sence yet again as if she hadn't been in enough damn scenes already.

• Love 4

http://www.criminalmindsroundtable.blogspot.com

I felt the reviews for these 2 episodes were excellent and pretty spot on even if I didn't agree with everything. I also loved the way she railed against JJ. It is more than apparent to me that this woman who wrote this is as fed up as many of us on here are with the need for JJ to dominate so damn many episodes. I loved how she totally called it as to why they dumbed Reid down just so they could have another excuse to jam JJ into another sence yet again as if she hadn't been in enough damn scenes already.

I agree. The review of Protection was spot on. She obviously liked The Hunt better than I did but much of that review I agreed with also.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree. The review of Protection was spot on. She obviously liked The Hunt better than I did but much of that review I agreed with also.

The same here. What I disagreed with her the most was her assessment of the role the snot nose brat played in this episode. I thought it was a complete waste of time and took away from the team as well as being a bit unrealistic.But hey seeing as her assessment of JJ was so spot on I guess I can forgive her this.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

The irony about JJ is that it seems like Erica Messer is so afraid we won't like her that she refuses to give her a negative trait. In doing so, she ensures that she isn't likeable.

• Love 6

The irony about JJ is that it seems like Erica Messer is so afraid we won't like her that she refuses to give her a negative trait. In doing so, she ensures that she isn't likeable.

Daniel this is a fate that could have easily fallen Reid. Thank goodness that the earlier writers portrayed him as someone who had flaws despite being a genius.

Of course nowadays these writers also continue to portray him as someone with flaws. Except they don't bother, the majority of the time, to portray him as the genius he is suppose to be

• Love 3

I think my biggest issue with that review is the point the reviewer makes about Savannah having a problem with Morgan hanging out with another woman. Members of the opposite sex can hang out and be friends without wanting to jump each others bones. Millions of people manage it every day. If Savannah were the type to get jealous about something like this he'd be better off dumping her. I also didn't find anything gratuitous about it. Was the scene strange and out of place? Absolutely. But it's not as if either of them were half naked and AJ had already put on some pregnancy weight by the time they shot that scene so she really looked nothing like "Barbie." As an "average" woman I certainly didn't feel a slap in the face. I felt a slap in the face because the episode was so clearly half-assed. I always hear people talking about actors phoning it in but this episode feels like a clear example of the writer phoning it in.

• Love 1

I think my biggest issue with that review is the point the reviewer makes about Savannah having a problem with Morgan hanging out with another woman. Members of the opposite sex can hang out and be friends without wanting to jump each others bones. Millions of people manage it every day. If Savannah were the type to get jealous about something like this he'd be better off dumping her. I also didn't find anything gratuitous about it. Was the scene strange and out of place? Absolutely. But it's not as if either of them were half naked and AJ had already put on some pregnancy weight by the time they shot that scene so she really looked nothing like "Barbie." As an "average" woman I certainly didn't feel a slap in the face. I felt a slap in the face because the episode was so clearly half-assed. I always hear people talking about actors phoning it in but this episode feels like a clear example of the writer phoning it in.

Plus Morgan and JJ have known each other for over ten years- I know the bond between the two wasn't really well developed, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'd be friends by now and that they'd do things together, especially in an area of common interest like fitness. Surely Savannah would be okay with something like that.

Now, if Morgan were seen running with a new girl and was evasive about telling Savannah about it, I could understand her being upset about it. Morgan hanging out with JJ, a married woman? Totally can't see Savannah being too worked up about it.

Besides, both Morgan and JJ live with their respective significant others- anyone who has ever done that knows that you can still be head over heels in love with the other person but every now and then, you *do* need to get away and have time for yourself. This is an obvious expression of that.

• Love 2
(edited)

Plus Morgan and JJ have known each other for over ten years- I know the bond between the two wasn't really well developed, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'd be friends by now and that they'd do things together, especially in an area of common interest like fitness. Surely Savannah would be okay with something like that.

Now, if Morgan were seen running with a new girl and was evasive about telling Savannah about it, I could understand her being upset about it. Morgan hanging out with JJ, a married woman? Totally can't see Savannah being too worked up about it.

Besides, both Morgan and JJ live with their respective significant others- anyone who has ever done that knows that you can still be head over heels in love with the other person but every now and then, you *do* need to get away and have time for yourself. This is an obvious expression of that.

True but you would think with these 2 constantly being on call, that they would want to spend as much time with their loved ones as possible. Now it's possible Savannah was working or had a prior commitment. The same could be said about Will, but what about Henry. I too feel this was waste of screen time and was there merely to show us how good of shape AJ/JJ is in. Also it probably wouldn't have been as big of an issue for some of us had this episode,like so many other, hadn't crammed so damn much of JJ down our throats.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 5

True but you would think with these 2 constantly being on call, that they would want to spend as much time with their loved ones as possible. Now it's possible Savannah was working or had a prior commitment. The same could be said about Will, but what about Henry. I too feel this was waste of screen time and was there merely to show us how good of shape AJ/JJ is in. Also it probably wouldn't have been as big of an issue for some of us had this episode,like so many other, hadn't crammed so damn much of JJ down our throats.

That's also true too- and highlights one of the many problems I have with how the show treats Morgan, since it's apparent he's just a "prop" to show how much "in shape" JJ is (pair JJ with the character who is held to be "the toughest" and the thinking goes she'll be treated as "just as tough").

• Love 4

Question - would it have been different if it had been Garcia?

One of the things I appreciate about CM, particularly as it ages, is that they've resisted whatever temptation there might be to "freshen things up" by having the main cast get together. Whether or not all of the love interests - Haley, Beth, Savannah, Maeve, Will, James, Kevin - have been successful is subjective, and obviously some of them have been less well received than others. But for me, Savannah's flash of jealousy would have been more believable if she had seen Morgan doing the "Baby Girl" thing with Garcia, if only because that always makes me want to murder them both in the face, and I've never even been in a relationship with someone who fawns all over someone else the way Derek does with Penelope. Half the time its hard enough for me to believe that Will's dopey self is so into JJ that he'd drop everything else in his life for her, Henry or no Henry, but for Gorgeous!Model!Savannah to be tweaked because Morgan is just hanging out with her? Even less so.

• Love 7

If I were Savannah I definitely wouldn't feel threatened by Morgan's relationship with Garcia (and this has nothing to do with physical appearance), but I would be annoyed. Similar to how I am annoyed with their relationship as a viewer. It's clear there's no sexual tension between the tw of them and it's all innocent (yet bothersome) fun. I have no problem with how they were in earlier seasons, but now they just lay it on so thick. It's similar to how the writers feel the need to write unsubs who outdo past unsubs and who are more deranged and sadistic. 

I remember an earlier episode, it was a probably a few seasons ago, when Morgan snapped on Garcia and told Hotch that she really needed to up her professionalism game. It pissed me off so much when Hotch's response was: "She always gets the job done." Did it ever cross anyone's mind that in every case they are working against the clock and Garcia's unnecessary rants just waste time?  What would happen if they showed up 10 seconds too late to save a victim because Garcia spent those seconds with a ridiculous greeting or sign off? I'd actually enjoy seeing that.

• Love 3

Question - would it have been different if it had been Garcia?

One of the things I appreciate about CM, particularly as it ages, is that they've resisted whatever temptation there might be to "freshen things up" by having the main cast get together. Whether or not all of the love interests - Haley, Beth, Savannah, Maeve, Will, James, Kevin - have been successful is subjective, and obviously some of them have been less well received than others. But for me, Savannah's flash of jealousy would have been more believable if she had seen Morgan doing the "Baby Girl" thing with Garcia, if only because that always makes me want to murder them both in the face, and I've never even been in a relationship with someone who fawns all over someone else the way Derek does with Penelope. Half the time its hard enough for me to believe that Will's dopey self is so into JJ that he'd drop everything else in his life for her, Henry or no Henry, but for Gorgeous!Model!Savannah to be tweaked because Morgan is just hanging out with her? Even less so.

I find myself in complete agreement with you, CoStar. Even though for the most part I thought that jogging scene was a complete waste of time. If I were Savannah I would be a hell of a lot more bothered by this so called flirting that goes on between Morgan and Garcia than the fact that he went jogging with JJ.

And then of course there was Garcia's obnoxious behavior in  "Burn" it was totally ridiculous the way she carried on and was pining for Morgan. Makes you wonder just how good of  a boyfriend Sam really is. For  crying out loud Garcia pretty much acted like Morgan was her husband and was some how obligated to be there for her. Again  if I were Savannah and I had found out about this I probably would have wanted to go all unsub on Garcia and I also would have read Morgan the riot act, because imo he encourages a lot of this less then flattering behavior from Garcia.

• Love 2