Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The New Queen Bee Bikini

They didn't.

But, yes, southern charm did have a 2nd season reunion in the WWHL clubhouse. I remember it, I watched it. Katherine was on, Thomas was a dick to her, they got on Craig for his partying ways... it definitely happened. Maybe you missed it because their reunion was without the fanfare the other shows get?

Doh!! Sorry, my mistake, you're right---I forgot all about that messy reunion show with messy Thomas/Kathryn being extra bitchy to each other. I think they totally got sloppy drunk and horny after that taping and conceived their second child that night, if all the rumors are indeed correct.

How these Ladies continually get shafted then is beyond me. They at least deserve one reunion special or "lost footage" show of sorts!

• Love 1

Wow...the pain medication problem. That explains a lot. If Annabelle is only "occasionally" moody and cranky, she's doing well. God, My heart goes out to her. That's a tough one. Annabelle, needs medication for what was, really, a terrible injury, yet those narcotics are so insidious. I hope her friends give her the support she needs. Yes, that means you, Caroline S. Ultimatums do not work. And, Caroline F...neither will your airy-fairy bullshit. Just zip it and listen to her.

• Love 2

Supposedly Annabelle is having some issues with prescription pain pill, which if true, makes that conversation between Caroline S. and Annabelle much clearer.

I know there's speculation and it was discussed here, but was that confirmed somewhere? Maybe I missed it.

I thought that Caroline S said something about anxiety or anxiety meds when she was talking to Annabelle.  But I couldn't understand much of it; that conversation was weird and seemed like half of it was in code.

• Love 1

I thought that Caroline S said something about anxiety or anxiety meds when she was talking to Annabelle.  But I couldn't understand much of it; that conversation was weird and seemed like half of it was in code.

I don't remember hearing that.....I just remember it being a very "you better straighten up and fly right" conversation, like "if you want to be on the show, you had better be fun, and not be moody, or else..."

I almost expected her to say "remember Caprice"

I just re-watched that scene, and heard this:

Annabelle - I really did actually try to open up as much I could in Denmark. Which was, for me, soooo hard, you have no idea.  And I felt really weird, and it made me feel properly sick, but you know what, I did as much as I could, and when I did...

Caroline - See, I understand Annabelle, I understand you have anxieties.  You've never shared that with the other girls; they don't know that.  And it looks like...

Annabelle  ...like I'm looking down my nose at you girls.

Caroline - In some ways...

Annabelle - K, I hear what you're saying, I really do.

So no mention of meds, but definitely anxiety, and I'm going to guess, yeah, there are meds.

Edited by izabella

I just re-watched that scene, and heard this:

Annabelle - I really did actually try to open up as much I could in Denmark. Which was, for me, soooo hard, you have no idea.  And I felt really weird, and it made me feel properly sick, but you know what, I did as much as I could, and when I did...

Caroline - See, I understand Annabelle, I understand you have anxieties.  You've never shared that with the other girls; they don't know that.  And it looks like...

Annabelle  ...like I'm looking down my nose at you girls.

Caroline - In some ways...

Annabelle - K, I hear what you're saying, I really do.

So no mention of meds, but definitely anxiety, and I'm going to guess, yeah, there are meds.

To each their own, but another interpretation might be that Annabelle simply doesn't open up to a lot of people, is anxious about sharing her feelings with others and tends to go into her shell.  Its just not comfortable for her to share because she isn't used to being so open and therefore it felt "weird".  Going into her shell makes her look like a snob, when in reality she is simply shy or "anxious" about opening up.

• Love 1

If she feels "properly sick" opening up to people, then I think it's more than just shyness.  She doesn't seem the least bit shy when she's telling everyone specifically what she thinks is wrong with them across a dinner table.  Maybe that's when she's on her meds.

I really don't care that much, it's just this last episode seemed so weirdly edited to me, and a lot seemed to be unsaid or unexplained. It was very unsatisfying.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

If she feels "properly sick" opening up to people, then I think it's more than just shyness.  She doesn't seem the least bit shy when she's telling everyone specifically what she thinks is wrong with them across a dinner table.  Maybe that's when she's on her meds.

It is more than just shyness, its years of having it ingrained in you that you don't share with the outside world.  It's not that you don't talk to the outside world, its just that there are certain things you don't share.

I think she does hide her true feelings sometimes behind a sneering facade.  I think Caroline S. does the same thing.  I think its part of the way people in British society are raised.  Telling people whats wrong with them when you're really hurt isn't the same as sharing your true feelings.  It's a form of acting out, but it doesn't carry the same anxieties as would sharing your true feelings when you've been raised to not share them and to sometimes feel bad for even feeling them.

And anxiety alone can make you feel sickly, even if you're not taking medication for it.  I know when I feel anxious I feel like I want to vomit, but I don't take medication for it.

I just think its a really, really, really big jump from the conversation you outlined to "anxiety meds."  Especially when Annabelle has mentioned before that she doesn't easily let people in and that she doesn't easily open up to people.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Very late to the party (hope I don't get reprimanded by Caroline F.) but just wanted to throw my two cents into the ring regarding Annabelle and Julie.

While in Denmark, Annabelle wasn't expecting something Julie could not provide. She didn't go on about financial problems and expect Julie to provide her with a loan (ala Carrie Bradshaw).  She was hurting and just wanted some type of compassion from Julie. They were on holiday, so it's not as if Julie was in the middle of a yoga session or juggling 4 kids when Annabelle made it known what was bothering her. Julie was swept up in the royal whirlwind and enamored with a country she had never visited, so she wanted to have a good time and chose to completely ignore Annabelle's feelings. Basically, she wanted to hit the pause button on her friendship with Annabelle because she didn't want to run the risk of being saddled to a depressed friend while she was having a jolly good time.  What I don't understand is when the other ladies went to the furriers and Julie announced that she was going to get tea instead, why didn't she at least acknowledge Annabelle by asking quietly, "Hey, I'm going to get some tea but wouldn't mind if you joined me so we can talk.  It looks like you have a lot on your mind"?    If Annabelle refused because she didn't want to appear rude to the hostess, that would have been fine but at least Julie made an effort and that is really all Annabelle wanted.

When they got back to London, Julie texted Annabelle something lovey-dovey/over the top but at that point, it was just too late and it clearly proves that Julie knew she messed up. The text was just her simpleminded way of doing damage control and providing proof to anyone that she truly loved Annabelle if she was ever questioned about her actions in Denmark.  In addition, over the luncheon at Caroline F's place, Julie twisted things by saying the only way she can communicate with people is through texting because of her crazy schedule and then promptly broke down in tears because of all the stress in her life. Julie again ignored what Annabelle was trying to say (which is Julie really disappointed her when they were in Denmark) and made it about herself.  

Friendship is give and take. You can't just take the good things (eg. art show openings, couture dress loans, having someone defend/ speak up for you, Aristocracy 101) and ignore the bad things (eg. Annabelle's need for a sympathetic ear while in Denmark, Annabelle's vocal displeasure with how Julie ignored those needs). Granted, Julie did visit Annabelle almost daily after her riding accident and I think her visits gave Annabelle a reason to begin a real friendship with her but that should not be the go-to proof of being a real friend whenever shit hits the fan.  For instance, if a man courts a woman by sending her flowers everyday for a month until she decide to finally give him a chance, he can't keep saying, "But remember the times I sent you flowers?" if she feels that he is ignoring her needs later on in the relationship.

One last thing, Julie appears to be very emotionally exhausting.  She broke down "like the Titanic took her children" on New Years after Caroline S. made an insensitive joke and she broke down again in similar fashion over lunch when Annabelle confronted her about why she felt let down by Julie while in Denmark.    Granted, Julie has some very real, first world financial problems and is stressed by her everyday life but if this is the way she's going to react over every little thing, she is in dire need of a Xanax.

• Love 2

Very late to the party (hope I don't get reprimanded by Caroline F.) but just wanted to throw my two cents into the ring regarding Annabelle and Julie.

While in Denmark, Annabelle wasn't expecting something Julie could not provide. She didn't go on about financial problems and expect Julie to provide her with a loan (ala Carrie Bradshaw).  She was hurting and just wanted some type of compassion from Julie. They were on holiday, so it's not as if Julie was in the middle of a yoga session or juggling 4 kids when Annabelle made it known what was bothering her. Julie was swept up in the royal whirlwind and enamored with a country she had never visited, so she wanted to have a good time and chose to completely ignore Annabelle's feelings. Basically, she wanted to hit the pause button on her friendship with Annabelle because she didn't want to run the risk of being saddled to a depressed friend while she was having a jolly good time.  What I don't understand is when the other ladies went to the furriers and Julie announced that she was going to get tea instead, why didn't she at least acknowledge Annabelle by asking quietly, "Hey, I'm going to get some tea but wouldn't mind if you joined me so we can talk.  It looks like you have a lot on your mind"?    If Annabelle refused because she didn't want to appear rude to the hostess, that would have been fine but at least Julie made an effort and that is really all Annabelle wanted.

When they got back to London, Julie texted Annabelle something lovey-dovey/over the top but at that point, it was just too late and it clearly proves that Julie knew she messed up. The text was just her simpleminded way of doing damage control and providing proof to anyone that she truly loved Annabelle if she was ever questioned about her actions in Denmark.  In addition, over the luncheon at Caroline F's place, Julie twisted things by saying the only way she can communicate with people is through texting because of her crazy schedule and then promptly broke down in tears because of all the stress in her life. Julie again ignored what Annabelle was trying to say (which is Julie really disappointed her when they were in Denmark) and made it about herself.  

Friendship is give and take. You can't just take the good things (eg. art show openings, couture dress loans, having someone defend/ speak up for you, Aristocracy 101) and ignore the bad things (eg. Annabelle's need for a sympathetic ear while in Denmark, Annabelle's vocal displeasure with how Julie ignored those needs). Granted, Julie did visit Annabelle almost daily after her riding accident and I think her visits gave Annabelle a reason to begin a real friendship with her but that should not be the go-to proof of being a real friend whenever shit hits the fan.  For instance, if a man courts a woman by sending her flowers everyday for a month until she decide to finally give him a chance, he can't keep saying, "But remember the times I sent you flowers?" if she feels that he is ignoring her needs later on in the relationship.

One last thing, Julie appears to be very emotionally exhausting.  She broke down "like the Titanic took her children" on New Years after Caroline S. made an insensitive joke and she broke down again in similar fashion over lunch when Annabelle confronted her about why she felt let down by Julie while in Denmark.    Granted, Julie has some very real, first world financial problems and is stressed by her everyday life but if this is the way she's going to react over every little thing, she is in dire need of a Xanax.

I agree with your post 100%

I absolutely agree with you about the just taking her aside for tea.  And not only did she not take Annabelle aside or even try to talk to her, she made it a point to talk shit about her on the bus.  And Annabelle could hear it.  It was just so wrong.  And I would have liked to have seen a reunion so that they could have properly hashed it out. 

But I suspect that Julie resorts to tears to get out of trouble.  I noticed that when she was at lunch at Caroline F's her flood of tears turned off the minute the spotlight was off of her bad behavior.

And I absolutely don't buy the "I'm so busy I can only text" defense.  Julie has always had four kids and yoga, and saving Mapperton.  That never stopped her from making time for a fancy art gallery opening that Annabelle was taking her to, it didn't stop her from going to lunch to get Annabelle's support.  But suddenly this life is keeping her from making a 30 minute phone call?

• Love 1