Type keyword(s) to search

"Miss Cabot, I scarcely know where to begin.": The Recurring Characters Thread

TD3000
  • Start Topic

Let's show some love (or hate) for the fine folks on SVU who show up every so often but don't get the proper recognition. This includes, but is not limited to:

Attorneys (other than regulars like Cabot, Novak, Barba, etc.)

Judges

Medical Examiners (other than Warner)

Crime Scene Techs

Law Enforcers (feds, other detectives, higher-ups)

Allies/Resources (think Sister Peg)

Family of the main characters

Anyone else you can think of who might apply here

Regarding the quote in the topic title, how about Judge Petrovskey (sp)? Sure, she was justified in ripping into Alex on Guilt, but man, she always came across cold as ice.

I always like Barry Murdoch; he had a charm about him.

I know, I know, the less said about Dale Stuckey, the better. But did anyone else besides me feel that his treatment by Elliot and especially O'Halloran was a teensy-bit unfair at times? Regardless, he was still very annoying.

I'll contribute more later.

• Love 1

Ugh, sorry to start on the hate, but I don't like that Reverend at all, who only shows up and grandstands when black people are apparently being unfairly victmized by cops, but who is invisible when a black person is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and does not even show remorse and is proud of his crime. It goes both ways Reverend. 

I don't totally love him, but I like Bayard Ellis. I didn't like him that he was able to get that rapist scot free by slut shaming the white victim, but I like how he has a friendly relationship with Olivia and how he sees business as only business, but outside of that he's apparently a nice person. I like how he invited Olivia to his daughter's softball game where he is the coach and Olivia snarks back that life must be tough for that umpire. Ellis then gives his card to Olivia and Liv grudgingly accepts it.

I also like Elizabeth Marvel's character Rita Calhoun. She does get some bad and icky criminals but she can work with the officers as well, especially against the big bad 1PP. And when I see her, I always think of Allison Janney. 

As for judges, I love the judge on Transgender Bridge. Compassionate, sympathetic, but fair to following the law. I think she was also the judge in that Dallas Roberts' episode where she was practically begging Barba to object the line of questioning and Barba was like, "Nah, I'm fine."

I also like Judge Donnelly. She hasn't been on in awhile, she should make a comeback. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Hate....

That sleazy Defense Attorney, I think he first appeared in the Military Justice episode. 

When that female soldier was gang raped.

Like...

The one that Nia Vardalos played in Criminal Hatred.

Watching her and Barba go at it was hilarious.

The strip club owner in the same episode, that Finn and Amanda went to speak to twice. 

The same actor played Kim's Pimp in a recent episode.

Ugh, sorry to start on the hate, but I don't like that Reverend at all, who only shows up and grandstands when black people are apparently being unfairly victmized by cops, but who is invisible when a black person is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and does not even show remorse and is proud of his crime. It goes both ways, Reverend.

THANK YOU! I don't like that guy either.

There are plenty of slimy defense attorneys but I really loathe that Buchanan guy. He's a complete and utter sleaze.

I did like Judge Donnelly. I wish she'd come back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think they should bring back Declan Murphy to be the LT of the squad again.  Just think he was a good fit with the cast. Olivia can also go back to investigating which I think she is better at.

Edited by Redskinsfan
  • Love 2

Murphy as LT would've been good, until the writers had the stupid idea to make him Rollins' baby daddy. Now it wouldn't work at all. 

I agree that Eames would be a good LT, Eames would be a much better boss than Benson, she is unbiased and wouldn't have an agenda. 

I wish they would add in a 4th detective so they could have 2 detective pairings again and have more of an ensemble cast and less Olivia, but Mariska seems to be in charge and her foundation seems to dictate the stories so I'm afraid that won't happen, but maybe a new showrunner will help out. 

• Love 2

I totally agree with a new CO/someone else in charge. Normally, I'd root for someone who is newly (or otherwise) promoted, especially someone from within the squad (as I am now really pulling for Finn), BUT, I find myself hoping beyond all hope that St Benson gets demoted or something, just to get her out of SVU/Command. It's really too bad, what has happened to her character.

I think there was a great opportunity when Stabler left to have her grow as a detective/person/character, but she has now become a bad stereotype, and is someone who reaffirms negative stereotypes of women in charge. I am all for St Benson in charge, but not as her character is now. As @Redskinsfan said, kick her back to being an investigator- not as a punishment, but that seems to be what she wants to do; she may try to relish in her new role as CO of SVU, but she is ALWAYS out investigating and doing detective stuff, which, to me, proves that we need another detective and/or a new/different CO.

St Benson can be the second in command and divvy up the workload and be hands on the day to day, while Sgt. Finn can delegate and direct in the field, etc., while the new CO can do what Cpt. Cragen did- the behind the scenes directing, paperwork, comstat, running interference, etc. That way, St Benson can still hog the spotlight and have a leadership position, all while developing and refining her decision making and leadership role, to help prepare her for her next assignment. That also would help develop the series, so that maybe that could lead her to be in 1PP (which kinda makes me shudder to think about), and have her kinda have SVU as her pet project/her go to unit. As I said, she'd still be able to be melodramatic at SVU and have a majority of the spotlight, but it'd be more realistic, since the writers want to have her out in the field like a "regular" detective AND as a CO.

In short, for the love of everything Holy (St Benson included), give us another detective, and/or give us another CO/Captain

• Love 2

I hear ya. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth by any means. I just would to see some pairs, too! I think that would help this show immensely, and I do think she is a better detective than a CO. She seems kinda overwhelmed and over her head. It'd be a nice pair if she and Fin paired up...and it'd help kinda temper her style, too.

• Love 1

I’ve really liked how Season 19 has brought back a lot of familiar characters, such as Jack McCoy of course, Olivet, Warner, Kressler, Dworkin and of course some of the judges. Now I’m ready for Buchanan to appear, I’m very disappointed he didn’t come on this season before Barba left, he was Barba’s best nemesis and some of the best episodes from the last few seasons were Barba vs Buchanan, but I would love to see Buchanan come on and defend some rich scumbag with Stone prosecuting. I love Buchanan, he’s a great lawyer, his clients are despicable but he does an awesome job, he reminds me a lot of Norman Rothenberg for those who know the mothership.

Speaking of recurring characters, well, when it comes to DAs... Probably the only DA that I liked was Casey Novak. She was smart, wonderfully idealistic, brave, and cute as hell (which probably sounds weird, but I think that is a perfect way to describe her). And not afraid to call out Olivia on her bs when needed. Probably the closest SVU has ever gotten to actually developing a real strong female character; or any strong character, actually. 

Looking back at it now, Alex Cabot was/is annoying af, to say the last. She pushed a molestation victim to suicide with her harassment, for God's sake. He survived, but was left with a significant brain damage. And she only got a one month suspension for that! But when Casey broke the rule in order to put a rapist and murderer behind bars (not saying that was OK, just putting things in perspective), she was almost disbarred. And when Alex returns, she literally frames a man for murder. Great. Are we supposed to be rooting for her? Would anyone feel safe knowing that they are DAs like her in real life?

Sonya Paxton was close to the worst though. Completely worthless. She should have been disbarred after showing up drunk in court and blowing any chances to convict the guy who actually was guilty, not to mention her history of rude and counterproductive behavior before. What a POS.

Barba was OK, occasionally great, but the way they wrote him off has ensured that he can never return. Not as the DA, at least.

• Love 2

I always liked Novak better than Cabot, Novak was a terrific DA with lots of personality. Cabot could be irritating and bitchy at times, although I liked her overall, I hated how they turned her into a vigilante who hated the justice system this season, it was so OOC. 

Barba was awesome up until he became a spineless bitch who did whatever Benson asked him to. Stone has been terrific so far IMO and is quickly becoming my favorite ADA. 

I couldn’t agree more about Sonya Paxton, an unprofessional, rude, unlikable bitch and pathetic excuse for an ADA, her behavior was always inappropriate and obnoxious and I felt nothing but relief when she was killed off. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I always liked Novak better than Cabot, Novak was a terrific DA with lots of personality. Cabot could be irritating and bitchy at times, although I liked her overall, I hated how they turned her into a vigilante who hated the justice system this season, it was so OOC. 

Barba was awesome up until he became a spineless bitch who did whatever Benson asked him to. Stone has been terrific so far IMO and is quickly becoming my favorite ADA. 

I couldn’t agree more about Sonya Paxton, an unprofessional, rude, unlikable bitch and pathetic excuse for an ADA, her behavior was always inappropriate and obnoxious and I felt nothing but relief when she was killed off. 

We'll see how long that lasts; esp. with Olivia leaning on everyone including Stone to do that little extra to get justice for a victim! Hasn't he taken up a case or 2 which was a loser with too little evidence or witnesses already? He's on the way to Barba territory; tough at 1st, but begins to bend, vacillate, & finally break under the constant carping/hypothesizing of that woman! ;-)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mislav said:

Speaking of recurring characters, well, when it comes to DAs... Probably the only DA that I liked was Casey Novak. She was smart, wonderfully idealistic, brave, and cute as hell (which probably sounds weird, but I think that is a perfect way to describe her). And not afraid to call out Olivia on her bs when needed. Probably the closest SVU has ever gotten to actually developing a real strong female character; or any strong character, actually. 

Looking back at it now, Alex Cabot was/is annoying af, to say the last. She pushed a molestation victim to suicide with her harassment, for God's sake. He survived, but was left with a significant brain damage. And she only got a one month suspension for that! But when Casey broke the rule in order to put a rapist and murderer behind bars (not saying that was OK, just putting things in perspective), she was almost disbarred. And when Alex returns, she literally frames a man for murder. Great. Are we supposed to be rooting for her? Would anyone feel safe knowing that they are DAs like her in real life?

Sonya Paxton was close to the worst though. Completely worthless. She should have been disbarred after showing up drunk in court and blowing any chances to convict the guy who actually was guilty, not to mention her history of rude and counterproductive behavior before. What a POS.

Barba was OK, occasionally great, but the way they wrote him off has ensured that he can never return. Not as the DA, at least.

No she didn't. 

Season 11 is the only season of this show I have watched from start to finish. ADA Sonya Paxton has to be one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen on a television show. Ordinarily, I like Christine Lahti, but she was not good in this role at all. Not that the writing did her any favors. Woof. Just a disaster from start to finish.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Season 11 is the only season of this show I have watched from start to finish. ADA Sonya Paxton has to be one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen on a television show. Ordinarily, I like Christine Lahti, but she was not good in this role at all. Not that the writing did her any favors. Woof. Just a disaster from start to finish.

It was almost like they wanted to do a tough as nails character like the one she played so awesomely on Chicago Hope. But Chicago Hope was written by a man who understands nuance and creating complex characters. SVU writers are not so deft. Kate Austin was layered. Sonya Paxton was a one note turned up to eleven.

• Love 1

Sonya Paxton was just horrible: rude, unprofessional and a total joke of a character. I loved seeing her get her comeuppance with her courtroom meltdown and I felt nothing when she was killed off in season 12. The show was just ridiculous in those seasons and the revolving door of ADA’s didn’t help. 

• Love 1