Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Spoils of War

• Start Topic

Hetty sends the team on a rescue mission to Afghanistan when she learns that Kensi Blye has disappeared and that the Taliban may be holding her captive.

Stupid plan, Hetty.  Stupid episode.

Hetty counted an awful lot on everyone reacting just as she "planned".

I did not like this episode at all.

There was a lot that was great in that episode, but making Jack a good guy was a major disappointment.  Making him so good he's a borderline saint is predictable and I had higher hopes for the show.

Did we ever find out who the mole was? 

Will Hetty ever face the anger/hurt from Kensi?  She has the right to be upset with her.

Terrific acting though (especially Deeks/thetalibani/the translator scenes, and Sam), and a lot of the action sequences were really well shot/edited.  I wonder if the show has ever gotten any technical emmys

My shipper side is mad that Kensi was so fixated on Jack when he was leaving, while Deeks was talking to her.  I know, I know, reasonable side of me gets it and understands, but my shipper side is put out- but super happy at the hugging, and that Deeks got the information to rescue Kensi.  And the hugging.  Did I mention the hugging? (my shipper side is a bit of a romance-addled tweener ).

Kensi needs to meet with the doctor (Nate?) who talked with Sam and Deeks at the beginning of the episode. Like pronto.

• Love 1

The scene when their helicopter first landed in Afghanistan looked exactly like the opening to MASH that I wondered if they filmed in the same place.

Some great stuff with Deeks - I love it when he saves the day lol. I'm disappointed in the Jack situation - I was hoping it'd come out that he was with the Taliban and not that he was a good guy.

Daniela Ruah was great at the end.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was worried it would be worse: that they would put Deeks on the sidelines and then have Kensi reject him entirely --- so I was pleasantly surprised!  Deeks was major in saving the day and we had reunion scenes.

My only complaint is to agree about Hetty.  I worry that Linda Hunt wants to retire and they're having her made an egregious mistake like this so Hetty can decide to leave.  I'm not ready for Nell as operations manager (though I'm pretty sure that's another thing they're planning).  I'm never ready for Linda Hunt to disappear from anything.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh

Good Lord, that made me want to crawl into my TV and hug Kensi at the end when she said "It was really bad."  I don't normally get emotionally invested in this show, but I nearly cried.  I'm so glad she let Deeks hold her!  And that she admitted the truth instead of trying to pretend she was fine.

• Love 1

I thought it was a good episode.  You could tell the feelings she had for Jack.  I think she was saying good-bye when she was watching him leave. At least that's what I hope.   

It sure did seem like they are grooming Nell to take over for Hetty.  I don't like that at all.

• Love 1

I don't really like Nell-as-Hetty either. I think it's because the actress is so young looking, and the character has come off as having limited field experience (whereas Hetty is ... well, Hetty lol). It seems like a job that would require a lot more life experience and understanding/bonding of the team. Nell's reaction at wanting the Kensi pic off the screen was totally something I'd expect from her ... but not from the operations manager. Hetty had to keep it under wraps until the mission was done, even if it meant looking at upsetting stuff, and I just don't see Nell being there yet.

I think they've signaled all along that's where we're going, and they've tried to show Nell in challenging situations so we'll see her as capable -- but they've built up the Hetty mythology so deeply that anyone would be a step down.  Plus, as I've said, Linda Hunt.  There can be only one.

I watch this show for funny, sweet Deeks.  Sure  hope I get to see him that way again.  I wondered where the bloody neck scar was on Kensi.  She sure is a fast healer.  She wasn't preggie in these scenes, was she?

• Love 1

I don't think she was pregnant when she films the last two episodes.

I'm nit picking with the make-up continuity with Kensi's physical injuries too. She looked way more battered when she was "traded" than when she was saying goodbye to Saint Jack (bleh).  At least I am hoping she was saying goodbye for good.

Deeks/Kensi's hug at the end broke my heart.

Please send Kensi to Nate asap for some therapy.

She looked way more battered when she was "traded" than when she was saying goodbye to Saint Jack (bleh). At least I am hoping she was saying goodbye for good.

I would think she'd gotten cleaned up and seen by a doctor by the time she was saying goodbye Jack. She had clearly changed clothes at that point and so had the guys.

• Love 1

I would think she'd gotten cleaned up and seen by a doctor by the time she was saying goodbye Jack. She had clearly changed clothes at that point and so had the guys.

Yeah, that was the impression I had, too.  She had stitches on her forhead.  I was actually impressed with how she managed to look like she was about to keel over in pain just standing there.  The way she slumped her shoulders and moved stiffly, it was superb acting.

Well seems Sabatino and Jack are not moles or the White Ghost. So who is the mole??

Was nice that Kensi actually did leave a message to the team.

Deeks water boarding the blind Cleric Mullah Muhammad,made me feel bad for him. But he was trying to get his info. The soldier trying to stop him was good to. Finding Sabatino injured at first made me think he was bad. But Granger let him back in pretty easily.

Also with the girl sniper Khatira, and the team helping her after the Taliban leave. Granger calling in the strike surprised me. It did seem odd to leave her with Jack. But maybe he would keep her from being locked up?

The team did well against the Taliban squad. Kensi and Jack were in rough condition. Her more then him. Her hug of him when Deeks came over must have been rough for Deeks to see.

I wonder if that story line is over??? Will we see Jack, Sabatino or Booker(The Tech guy) again? I still think he is a mole.

I would think that Granger would let Hetty know about it, but Vance or someone should also have a talk to her.

Also thinking of the PTSD for Sam and Deeks at the beginning of the season. Sam was going to say something to Kensi after her rescue and changed his mind. Well he went through it but it seemed easy for him. But Michelle might have had it too. She was dangling off the building hanging on a sheet of plastic as the 2 Russian Barbies were trying to splatter her all over the ground below. Kensi came to save her and I bet she had some trauma after that. So Sam had it from both sides along with Deeks.