Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Los Angeles

I just watched a documentary about tuberculosis, and it said that Los Angeles aggressively advertized itself as a healthy place for TB patients to relocate (it was believed that the "fresh air" was curative) in the 1800s. I kept hoping DH would do a story about that-- apparently this happened in a lot of places, and the ones which were more successful at recruiting realized too late that there would be drawbacks to a mass influx of thousands of sick, contagious people in a just-getting-established city with little infrastructure. It seems like the perfect story for DH to tell.

Still, I enjoyed the stories they did tell. I laughed when the one narrator was slamming down the booze so much even Derek was a little alarmed, but then the guy saying he was tired of people on forums saying they weren't really drunk. I'm sorry I can't remember anyone's name right now, my brain is shit-- and I'm sober!

An aqueduct's construction makes city officials rich in Los Angeles; Rin Tin Tin becomes a movie star; Andrés Pico leads a group of vigilantes on a quest for justice.

Featuring: Giancarlo Esposito as Andrés Pico, Ryan Phillippe as Benjamin Hayes, Jack Black as William Mulholland, Kyle Gass as Fred Eaton, Zach Woods as Lee Duncan, and Rowdy as Rin Tin Tin

Retellers: Seth Weitberg on the creation of the LAPD; Eric Edelstein on Rin Tin Tin; and Jeremy Konner on the LA Aqueduct

Side note; not only did this not record for me, TV Guide is telling me the episode shown was the Hollywood episode from last season. I am not pleased right now!

I thought this was a good one. I couldn't believe Giancarlo Esposito was in this! I just wish he had more to do, though I always love when the actors make the sound effects with their mouths.

I read the Rin Tin Tin book, so none of this was new to me. Still it was fun, esp when the dog woofed and reacted right along with the narrator. I don't know if there has ever been as random a line as "Imagine Ryan Stiles, 1996. That's how good this dog was."

Jack Black is so good at this. Loved him as Mulholland. 

All the narrators were good. Good and drunk.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

Mine didn't record either. In a way, it's a relief to know it's not just a failing of my own DVR.

I found this one of the better recent ones. Maybe some excessive drunkenness, but good actors, and good chance for lip-sync fun.

I thought the last narrator was "too drunk." It made the story weak; Jack Black is great but he didn't have much to work with. I loved the second one though. I'm a dog owner and I just love dogs, so I thought it was sweet too! And I was actually like legit mad they didn't give the Best Actor award to Rin Tin Tin. He deserved it! I thought Zach Woods did a good job too.

And LOL to the Ryan Stiles line. I liked that narrator.

Edited by BrittaBot

The last guy was incoherent. I think Waters was getting a little ticked about it too. 

Still it was fun, esp when the dog woofed and reacted right along with the narrator.

And they talked to the dog like, literally all of us do. "You think you can be a wolf?" "Yup!"

Rin Tin Tin did his own stunts. Floored me.

I'd also like to know which "message boards said that they're not drunk enough."

• Love 1