Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles: Wildcatters

DollEyes

Given Blood & Oil's  pedigree, it's no surprise that the cast have done other things, like, say, Chace Crawford in Gossip Girl, Scott Michael Foster in Greek, Amber Valetta  in Revenge and of course, the one & only Don Johnson in Nash Bridges & Miami Vice.

Here's the thread to discuss the cast's (regular or guest stars') other acting roles, whether lead or supporting, big-screen or small.

Dragged here from the Pilot thread:

Y'all need to back way way away from Don.  He's mine and I can prove it: 

I still have my 45 of "Heartbeat."

Ha! Fair enough. Had to Google it having not even seen Miami Vice until reruns in the past few years: http://youtu.be/I1sNImbI2Zw

It was recorded in 1986. Looks-wise, I'd say he peaked around '84 when the pilot of Miami Vice was shot, but, yeah, no wonder so many women chose to have babies with him. In the video he even saves a child by tossing it (a dummy, fortunately, LOL) behind a barracade, out of the line of enemy fire.

• Love 1

Many years ago, back when MTV still showed videos, they had a specials where they showed 10 videos one last time before they destroyed the master tape ensuring they'd never be shown on MTV again.   Don Johnson's Heartbeat was one of them and rated pretty high in the countdown--and might have been named the #1 worst video ever shown on MTV.

• Love 2

Looks-wise, I'd say he peaked around '84 when the pilot of Miami Vice was shot, but, yeah, no wonder so many women chose to have babies with him.

Well, thanks, Shapeshifter!  It was fun to hear that song again, although I've never seen the video so the war context was a complete surprise.  Where did that come from?  Tossing the mannequin child over the wall but collapsing in front was hysterical.

In 1973, Don Johnson was in The Harrad Experiment--a bold movie, for the time, about sex.  I was having my own sexual awakenings right about then, so it was a excellent match.  But wait, there's more.  Harrad is where he first met longtime love Melanie Griffith--who was 14!  Johnson's co-star in the movie is Melanie's mother (Tippi Hedren, of Hitchcock movie fame) and he convinced Tippi that he and Melanie should be allowed to have a relationship and live together.  This echoes the Harrad plot, which made the movie's sexuality theme feel legit, AND furthermore said to all of us:  Yes, it's possible that hot Don Johnson might fall in love with you even though you still have braces and can't drive a car.  (Oh, and he sings the song over the end credits, too.  Smile.)

Miami Vice--also groundbreaking and hot--premiered just as I broke out of Missouri and started a different life, on my own in Key West.

Don and I go way back. 

I don't know if the larger problem with Blood & Oil would be seeing Don Johnson in the Burl Ives/Big Daddy role or the annoyance that he's now paired with women decades younger than I.  Pfft.  Men.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2