Type keyword(s) to search

Show & Yell: Season 3 Ends With A Whimper

• Start Topic

I thought Girl Civilian realized that Politically Incorrect was not the right clue but then based her guess on who people would most likely mistake as the host of Politically Incorrect. Either way, it was still a snowball of wrong answers, but I appreciated her attempt to persevere there.

For me, dumbest moment was immediately passing Bill Murray in the final round. How do you not say Ghostbusters? Is Pete Wentz maybe too young to know Ghostbusters?

I'm glad you mentioned that Cedric the Entertainer got all his answers in Scary Poppins, because, while I admit I wasn't paying full attention, it looked to me like they kept skipping him and Mel. B. in the subsequent rounds. It was really weird, but now I realize he must've just answered very quickly and they moved on to the next question.

For me, dumbest moment was immediately passing Bill Murray in the final round. How do you not say Ghostbusters? Is Pete Wentz maybe too young to know Ghostbusters?

I think he may be a blank for a lot of young people now. I would instantly know him from Groundhog Day (Ghostbusters is less useful as there are several leading men in that) or his early comedic vehicles like Stripes and Meatballs. But to someone of Pete's generation, unless they really explore older movies, Bill Murray must be "That weird old dude who turns up in an indie movie every year or two."

• Love 1

Joe, I get what you were saying about how strange it is to expect the celebrities to be "better" (or just better at the game) than the civilian. My potential suggestion of why it should be that they're better at the game is that they're all actors, theatre people, musicians, etc. -- it's their arena. So they should at the very least be familiar with their own "people," their own team so to speak, you know what I mean? Logically, of course, no one (celebrity or otherwise) knows every song and every film and every name out there, but still... the people who work regularly work in that arena should be a little more familiar with all the names. Sometimes even too familiar, because -- as I think we've seen with this show from time to time -- the celebrities sometimes give unhelpful clues because they're thinking of the celebrity name as a person they know personally instead of giving a solid clue that will help the civilian guess the name.

If a civilian says "I've never heard of that actor/musician/celebrity," that's not surprising because it's impossible to know everyone and sometimes you just don't care enough to commit their names to memory. (That would be me with most sports figures except the really obvious ones like Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky, or tennis figures because I grew up with a mom who was a freak for watching tennis tournaments, LOL.) But for celebrities not to even know the names, it just seems like "come on... you should at least have heard of them even if you've never worked with them..." It's kind of like TV actors who say they don't watch television - shut up and quit trying to pretend you're above it all.

Just a random thought, as I was listening to you talk about it in the podcast. I don't know if there's any credence to it in actuality.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Ghostbusters isn't to young for anyone. It's not something any adult should be blanking on. And I forgot how annoyed I was at the incorrect brides wars diss.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3

I thought Girl Civilian realized that Politically Incorrect was not the right clue but then based her guess on who people would most likely mistake as the host of Politically Incorrect. Either way, it was still a snowball of wrong answers, but I appreciated her attempt to persevere there.

That was my thought, too. She was a very good player, and I think she recognized that Pete was good too, so she purposely didn't guess Bill Maher.

Thanks for calling out the Bride Wars thing. I thought that it was a movie, and right now can't even find any evidence of a TV show by that name.

I wonder why they only did such a short season, half of what they did last year. I assume they can record at least two or three in a day, so the entire season was probably done in one week.

By the way, minor nitpick on the podcast, the team with Cedric the Entertainer was on stage right, not stage left. Or house left, if you want to describe it in a non-counter-intuitive way from the viewer's perspective.

Thanks for the podcast, it's made the show even more enjoyable, hope you come back for another season whenever they do.

I think he may be a blank for a lot of young people now. I would instantly know him from Groundhog Day (Ghostbusters is less useful as there are several leading men in that) or his early comedic vehicles like Stripes and Meatballs. But to someone of Pete's generation, unless they really explore older movies, Bill Murray must be "That weird old dude who turns up in an indie movie every year or two."

Pete Wentz is 36--definitely old enough to be familiar most of the classic Bill Murray movies. I'm 27 and I even grew up watching Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. My guess is that Pete was a little flustered at first and passed too quickly.

I agree with Joe on the best player. I wasn't expecting Pete to do much, but he really impressed me.

Simply being old enough to remember something doesn't mean you're in that something's wheelhouse, though. I give Pete (and Niecy) credit for quickly realizing they wouldn't be able to come up with something quick enough and moving right along.

I agree with Joe on the best player. I wasn't expecting Pete to do much, but he really impressed me.

Me too. I found that I really enjoyed watching him. He wasn't exciting, but I guess I just liked his approach. He was capable (except for some unfortunate blanking in the final game), and he took the games seriously without being obnoxious. I found myself thinking he'd be welcome at my game nights. 

Kevin Nealon was good too, though, so I think they were both good choices for top celebrity player. 

• Love 1