Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Hello Dollywood!

• Start Topic

The family visits Dollywood and performs with Lawson at a bluegrass festival.

Cool place they were staying in.  I doubt most of the kids have ever stayed somewhere that nice.  The Dixie Stampede looked really fun for the kids, but it reminded me too much of those Medieval Times restaurants.  I hope the food was better.

Kinda disappointed we have to wait until next season to see Michael's wedding.  What was up with them blocking out the sound of Lawson's response to the question about his relationship status?

• Love 2

This family has real fun together.  I can just imagine the chaos staying in the 4 story 'cabin', with an elevator, no less.  Kids all over the place and wanting to treat the elevator as an amusement park ride.  My grand kids were the same way when we stayed in a motel that had an elevator.  Arguments over who got to 'push the button'.  I thought the group sounded very nice with their singing, and who knew Carlin could yodel!  Wish I could read Lawson's lips about his relationship response!

What was up with them blocking out the sound of Lawson's response to the question about his relationship status?

Pretty sure that was supposed to be an attempt at humor.  Guess it didn't translate very well. :)

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4

The Bateses do look like they really enjoy hanging out with each other. No one looks miserable and there is no eye rolling. They also seem really appreciative of all the freebies and discounts that they get.

It's hard to not compare them to the Duggars, but it is inevitable. The Duggars look like they all can't stand each other and they also come off so greedy, like they expect that they should get everything for free.

I love how the Bateses joke around with each other and laugh.

I thought it was funny how Jeb lowered himself to try and get candy.

I wonder if Nathan is courting that girl from New York? It would be interesting to see one of the Bates boys courting someone.

• Love 4

I love how the Bateses joke around with each other and laugh.

I thought it was funny how Jeb lowered himself to try and get candy.

When the kids were gathered around Shadow (??) after the show they were 'engaged in conversation' and showed PERSONALITY!  So refreshing to see.  The Duggars would have been silent.

Those two little boys....so freaking cute!!!!  Love!

• Love 3

When the kids were gathered around Shadow (??) after the show they were 'engaged in conversation' and showed PERSONALITY! So refreshing to see. The Duggars would have been silent.

Those two little boys....so freaking cute!!!! Love!

I know! They actually seemed really interested in what was being said. They asked questions and seemed really happy.

• Love 2

Yes. It is hard not to compare that "D" family with the Bates family.  Their beliefs are different than mine in so many ways, but I really like this family more each episode.  They seem to encourage their kids to broaden their horizons.  Zach has a lot more personality than I used think when I'd seen him on the "D" show.  I noticed than on one of the rides Gil was seated directly next to Whitney, along with a few other little kids.  I thought that wasn't something that JB Duggs would do.  I also thought it was adorable when Jeb gave Judd a kiss on his cheek.  Or was it the other way around?  Anyway, I thought if that had been a Duggar boy that his head would be shaved immediately, followed by a trip to ALERT.  Overall, they're just so much more likable.

• Love 3

Yes. It is hard not to compare that "D" family with the Bates family. Their beliefs are different than mine in so many ways, but I really like this family more each episode. They seem to encourage their kids to broaden their horizons. Zach has a lot more personality than I used think when I'd seen him on the "D" show. I noticed than on one of the rides Gil was seated directly next to Whitney, along with a few other little kids. I thought that wasn't something that JB Duggs would do. I also thought it was adorable when Jeb gave Judd a kiss on his cheek. Or was it the other way around? Anyway, I thought if that had been a Duggar boy that his head would be shaved immediately, followed by a trip to ALERT. Overall, they're just so much more likable.

That was adorable when Jeb gave him a kiss.

• Love 2

I swore to myself that after the '19 Kids and Counting'  fiasco that I'd never again watch a single episode of any hillbilly family with fundamentalist christian moralities and 19 children EVER again. I conceded and caved into my weaker side and watched an episode of Bringing Up Bates'. It was the 'Hello DollyWood' episode. I almost didn't make it to the end of the episode. Almost ready to hit the 'delete' button on the DVR I decided that I have to give this show one shot, so I pulled up my big girl pants, my brave genes kicked in and I watched the entire episode. (ok, I fast-forwarded just a little a few times)

First of all I have to say that the children are all absolutely beautiful, adorable, amazing and sweet, But after the older son (don't know his name) started to sing a solo at DollyWood something about not giving up his pork rinds for his girl. (country music has such depth) My mind went to this place..............

eIgpRvP.jpg

"could you not?"  There isn't enough insulin in my pharmacy to counteract the overdose of sugary-sweet ultra nauseating 'reality'.

No, they're not good singers.  The yodeling in particular is like nails on a chalkboard, but that's not specific to the Bates family.

I remember reading an interview with one of the Bates kids on how their family differs from the Duggars.  The first thing they said was "rules."  They dance, they encourage their kids to pursue higher ed (I know it's only Clown College, but still), and they are generally a lot looser and relaxed.  I suspect they are also getting a friendlier edit from the UP channel, but editing doesn't account for all of it.

• Love 3

The singing is definitely 'eh'. I remember hearing a song Lawson recorded a while ago and I was not impressed at all.

One thing I really like about this family is the genuine excitement about the grandkids. I can tell that Kelly and Gil are going to be just as excited when the last grandchild is born as they were about the first. I laughed at how Kelly wouldn't give Bradley up to Gil...he kept begging to hold him.

That four story cabin made me nervous with all of the kids running around. I know Kelly called that family meeting to say that the little kids shouldn't be out on the balconies or stairs without an adult, but still.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2

I had no idea Dollywood still existed. I think the Duggars went there, too. Kind of funny to me that it's so popular with the Fundie circle when Dolly is famous for her boobs and tight attire (esp. high slit dresses).

The Duggars went when Jordyn was just a baby (one of the cutest babies EVER). Dolly held her and Jordyn was crazy about her and vice versa. Dolly wanted to take her home, and I kept hoping it would happen. The Duggars sang Amazing Grace or something for Dolly.

• Love 1