Type keyword(s) to search

The Twilight Zone - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1x30: A Stop at Willoughby

This is easily one of the more depressing episodes of the series, depending on your interpretation. The interpretation that Gart Williams (James Daly) was having a delusion and ended his own life might be a boring interpretation, but it's also the one that makes the most sense, considering how cynical the series can be, and also how that final shot of Willoughby funeral home sign was lingered on just a tad too long, superimposed over Gart's delusion as if to mock us for thinking a happy or even a bittersweet ending could be interpreted. It's not exactly a subtle jabbing from Serling there.

Of course, a lot of people who felt burned out by life related to Gart's character, myself particularly. The idea that there's a paradise waiting somewhere where you could finally take a break from life's hustle and bustle is a lovely notion, almost as lovely as the misconceived notion that '50s America was an idyllic place (it's not). It's a nice illusion, but life just isn't that kind. And the more I think about this, the more disturbing that episode ending becomes. Gart believing, like all of us hope for at some point in our life, that there is rest to be found, relief from the hellish world that's his workplace, only to have that hope snuffed out. Does his dream of Willoughby end there? I like that it is still ambiguous what the actual truth of it is in spite of some heavy-handed symbolism in the final shot, but it doesn't change the fact that Gart did indeed jump off that train and killed himself, probably because he was under some sort of delusion or having a sleepwalk. This leads to yet another disturbing notion of sleepwalking to your death, possibly while dreaming of Willoughby or some similar form of paradise.

Patricia Donahue plays the thankless role of Gart's harpy wife (among the many others on the show thus far), Jane Williams. Credit should be given for her attempt to lend some humanity to an otherwise one-dimensional role, served only as a plot-device to push Gart into further desperation. Serling's inability to write women well continues.

That aside, this was a very solid episode that I greatly enjoyed, especially with how cynical the ending felt instead of going the easy way out of saying Gart ended up in heaven.

4.5/5

• Like 1

Fully agreed with this analysis. Yeah, I like the idea of longing for some happy escape from the stress of the modern world, like you said, we've all been there at some point...but to see the lengths he's willing to go to get into that world, it's very heartbreaking and unsettling. And I think the thing that makes it even more disturbing is that you know a lot of people watching would wonder if they would do what Gart did in that moment. 

It is a good episode, though, yes. With these kinds of episodes, that have much darker and creepier/disturbing endings, I do wonder what TV audiences in the late 1950s/early 1960s must've thought of some of them. TV was still a relatively new medium in so many ways then, so imagine seeing some of these kinds of stories on TV for the first time. Audiences of that time period must've been having some very frightening dreams after watching some of these episodes. 

• Like 1

1x31: The Chaser

This one obviously won't be airing today. Or re-airing in syndication even. Or as they say, no means no. It's pretty much season 6 Buffy "Trio" territory here, except that at least Buffy called out on the rape instead of playing it entirely for laughs like this episode here.

One interesting comment though mentioned that Rod Serling might have just been showing how juvenile boys' fantasies really were back then, which makes sense 'coz '60s. But it is a pretty generic plot nonetheless, one that's as old as time: the love potion backfiring. If it's not a potion, it's a wish that "she would love me."

The acting does carry the episode somewhat though, and it's quirky enough that it almost works. Almost, if not for the nonconsensual "love."

2.5/5

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

1x31: The Chaser

This one obviously won't be airing today. Or re-airing in syndication even. 

I actually have still seen this one in syndication from time to time. But even then, yeah, it doesn't get shown very often, and it never shows up whenever some channel does their "best of Twilight Zone" episode lists. 

I do like the idea of Serling making a commentary on how immature men can be when it comes to trying to win over a woman, but yeah, knowing Serling's knack for strong, decisive commentary, it does seem to be lacking that sharper edge that would be worthy of a story like this. 

• Like 1

Probably not enough lead time (apologies for the slacking) but tonight at 11.00 pm MeTV is showing the classic The Dick Van Dyke Show homage/parody of The Twilight Zone (which was still on-air when this aired in 1963), "It May Look Like a Walnut".  

I've never seen it, but from description I've read in The Twilight Zone Companion, I can't wait to see Rob and Laura Petrie cross over into another dimension…

(Of course, Richard Deacon [Mel Cooley] was gearing up for his own Zone guest spot [in "The Brain Center at Whipple's"] later that season.)

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Amazing!  So glad I saw it.  They a great job of seeding all the little details early on and paying them off later, which TZ also excelled at.

And if you had told me two hours ago that Mary Tyler Moore sliding down a cascade of walnuts would become a sexual fantasy of mine, I would have looked at you as if you had four eyes.

(Good weekend for catching some DVD; he and Tony Randall were the guests on PBS's rerun of The Carol Burnett Show.  They had a great sketch about two guys on vacation in Hawai'i, but I can't find it online.  Oh, well.)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

Amazing!  So glad I saw it.  They a great job of seeding all the little details early on and paying them off later, which TZ also excelled at.

And if you had told me two hours ago that Mary Tyler Moore sliding down a cascade of walnuts would become a sexual fantasy of mine, I would have looked at you as if you had four eyes.

Iconic moment, her sliding in on the walnuts XD.

I like how they were able to make the story funny and yet the premise was one that was genuinely unsettling, too. The creepy laughter from the others, Rob feeling like he was losing his mind, that brought a good bit of tension to the story. It really could've, in a lot of ways, been a perfect premise for an episode of The Twilight Zone, one of their episodes that still had a weird premise but was a little lighter in tone. 

So glad you enjoyed it:). 

• Like 1

1x32: Passage for Trumpet

Often hailed as one of the greatest TZ episodes ever, but all I had was a bitter memory of it. I remember I first watched it when I was in a dark place, existentially speaking. I felt a lack of worth, and the fact that Joey Crown was moping despite having a talent for music really didn't help me feel better, as I didn't have talent for nothing, and I didn't have those "good friends" Joey had in life, or just anything much to appreciate for either.

Fast forward a decade, and the episode still isn't an easy viewing because not much has changed for me. But I think I've gained a better appreciation for it, its beautiful message of appreciating the good things in your life and just keep on pushing through the hardships. The fact that Joey easily got into a relationship at the end still felt a little too easy, but I guess Joey earned it, especially due to Jack Klugman's fine performance (that everyone who praised this episode also praised) as a sympathetic trumpeter just down on his luck. If he didn't sell the character, and if we don't sympathize, the episode wouldn't work.

The pacing of the episode moves at a good clip too, with very little filler content in between. Almost every part of the script serves to move Joey from Point A (his despair and his explanation why he feels that way) to Point B (his journey into enlightenment with Gabriel).

Overall, a solid episode.

4.5/5

• Like 1

I'm sorry about your personal experiences connected to this episode :(. I hope things are getting better, or will soon, in that regard for you. 

I am glad that you're able to find a little deeper appreciation for the episode, though. Yeah, Klugman's another one who was such a regular player on this series, and like Burgess Meredith or any other actors who popped up a few times on this show, is one whose episodes are always worth watching, because he's just that compelling an actor :). I like that there were some actors that this show frequently brought back - it adds an interesting element of continuity of sorts, and it also speaks to how much they must've really liked/respected the actor and their work, to where they wanted to use them as often as possible. And clearly this show was a great step in Klugman's larger career, too, so hey :). 

• Love 1
On 10/22/2023 at 6:27 AM, Annber03 said:

Yeah, Klugman's another one who was such a regular player on this series, and like Burgess Meredith or any other actors who popped up a few times on this show, is one whose episodes are always worth watching, because he's just that compelling an actor :). I like that there were some actors that this show frequently brought back - it adds an interesting element of continuity of sorts, and it also speaks to how much they must've really liked/respected the actor and their work, to where they wanted to use them as often as possible. And clearly this show was a great step in Klugman's larger career, too, so hey :). 

Yeah, but if you use an actor one too many times, it becomes jarring sometimes when they step into another role. I felt that way with another less well-made anthology series, American Horror Story.

• Useful 1

1x33: Mr. Bevis

Gotta admit, I connected more with this episode than with "Trumpet", probably because I can be quite a clumsy screw-up like Mr. Bevis here, but also because I know that feeling of wanting to live your life your own way against social norms. I'm also renting a cheap apartment and at risk of not having a job in another month (currently working a two months contract part-time job), so Bevis' woes are frighteningly familiar to me like a close friend. Also, he's not talented with anything like in "Trumpet" (unless you count his overall amicable and upbeat personality, and maybe his model-crafting). He also doesn't get a girlfriend. Perfectly realistic and perfectly relatable. All in all, I feel like I see myself more in Bevis than Joey, which should be ironic as Joey's written to be an everyday average Joe, whereas Bevis is supposed to be an eccentric goof.

All very relatable... that is, of course, save for the racist clock... What is up with that clock? And it's used as the end credits screenshot too. Guess Serling didn't quite get what "blackface" was yet.

I also like that the Guardian Angel gave Bevis a taste of luxury. If it was me, I'd prefer to just abandon my old self and live in riches, but then again, I don't know if I'd be able to abandon all my friends I've chatted with on the Internet, for example. Or maybe I'd be so busy working I'd have no time for movies and TV shows anymore, like the Twilight Zone. So this episode rings true in that regard as well: leaving your old self behind and sacrifice the simple pleasures in your life for luxury and riches? Perhaps not as ideal as one might think.

4/5 (-1 for racist clock)

• Like 1

I'm completely blanking on the racist clock from this episode at the moment, but oof, yeah, that's...awkward, to say the least. Especially for a show that was generally acknowledged as being more progressive in many ways. Guess some relics still linger even then. 

I agree with you about Bevis being relatable, though, I think we've all been Bevis at some point in our lives. I hope things continue to go okay with your job, or that you find something more stable soon. 

(It is kind of hard for me to take Bevis' name seriously, though, 'cause I just start thinking of Beavis from "Beavis and Butt-head", and...yeah :p.)

• Love 1
On 12/26/2017 at 12:39 PM, tennisgurl said:

Watched Night of the Meek for Christmas yesterday, and I still love it so much. Probably happiest ending in Twilight Zone history. 

I love Night of the Meek, by far my favorite Twilight Zone episode.  I watch it every Christmas, and a few other times during the year as well usually.  They remade this episode with Richard Mulligan, but I can't picture anybody doing it but Art Carney.  

Not too long ago I noticed Burt Muslin on The Beverly Hillbillies, it took a minute to figure out where I had seen him before.  He was so perfect in his part:  "Nothing for you, not a thing".

I can't help but hope somewhere in some alternative reality, Mr. Dundee and Officer Flaherty are still enjoying some coffee with brandy poured into it.

• Like 2