Type keyword(s) to search

The Hateful Eight: In Glorious 70mm (2015)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

Damn! Brutal movie and what an ending!

Glad Walter Goggins' character turned around

Tarantino really has become the master of excruciatingly tense dialogue scenes that could explode in bloody violence.

Man, Sam Jackson's story of how he killed and tortured the general's son might be the most amazing scenes in Tarantino's movie. Both he and Bruce Dern were great.

God, I really wanted Jennifer Jason Leigh's Daisy to die by the end. Seeing her brother played by Channing Tatum was very satisfying.

Why did QT have to make Zoe Bell's character the most lovable person ever? I would have been upset if she killed because she's Zoe Bell!

I just watched last night. Not sure what I think/feel. It was a mixed bag for me. It's another typical Tarantino movie which isn't necessarily a compliment. I like his stuff but, I'm starting to feel his style is a bit played out.

On the other hand the man continues to prove that he is a master of dialogue. The best scenes, IMO were the ones where people just Talked, the carriage scene, the dinner table scene, the Sam Jackson soliloquy and the final discussion between Chris and Daisy.

I thought Bob was such an obvious conspirator that I wondered if he was a red herring. I didn't realize they were all in on it. I also didn't like the narration and I felt the early dialogue between Kurt Russell and Michal Madson was trying too hard to sound like an old western that it fell flat (for me).

Finally, my biggest complaint is that these didn't feel like real characters. I swear I don't know/remember all of the Tarantino regulars character names they're just Tim Roth (Mr. Orange), Sam Jackson, Kurt Russell, Michael Madison, Zoe etc

The only characters that felt like characters were Chris and Daisy, the rest were just the actors, even Bruce Dern was just Bruce Dern.

All in all, beautiful to look at, wonderful dialogue, great talking scenes but, in the end it's just another Tarantino movie which feels kind of derivative of his earlier works.

• Love 1

The strange thing about the guitar incident, to me, is that Quentin Tarantino's genius is all wrapped up in his love of movies and moviemaking--and that means, necessarily, that he loves the artifice of moviemaking, because every frame of a movie is artifice and illusion. Commissioning replicas of a Martin guitar that were indistinguishable from the genuine article (so that the genuine article wasn't required on set) would be just one small piece of the sort of artifice Tarantino adores. The whole thing doesn't make sense.

On 9/13/2016 at 2:42 AM, VCRTracking said:

Man, Sam Jackson's story of how he killed and tortured the general's son might be the most amazing scenes in Tarantino's movie.

I got the impression that story was a lie just to provoke the general.  Jackson's character was a verified liar after all.