Type keyword(s) to search

The Hateful Eight: In Glorious 70mm (2015)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

If I could get away with skipping my family's holiday gathering on Dec 25th without being disowned, I would be at the cinema watching this and Joy. 

ETA: Oh, and the Downton Abbey Christmas episode. 

Maybe I could tell my parents I'm not feeling well.

Edited by wlk68

I saw this over the weekend in glorious 70mm. Seeing it like that was wonderful - the film itself is gorgeous. The cinematography, the costuming, the sets and, especially, the score were beautiful, so it was great to see a film in that format.

The film, however, I did not enjoy. I'm a QT fan usually ("Jackie Brown" is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I love "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill"), but this is the first film I can't defend. I'm not one to get offended or up in arms over offensive, racist or sexist humor, but I was incredibly uncomfortable watching this film. I guess it's because I don't think of QT of being particularly racist and definitely not a misogynist, but if I didn't know anything else of his canon and just saw this, I'd think he was a horrible person.

The cast was great - particularly Jennifer Jason Leigh - but this left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm incredibly disappointed that it did. When can QT stop the ridiculous exploitation and go back to his interesting 90s self?

I'm sure I'm just in the minority since critics everywhere are hailing this as a masterpiece. Which makes me wonder since it's all n-word, n-word, n-word, tramp, whore, bitch. I don't know. Anyone else?

• Love 7

I saw some reviews discussing it on TV and I read a review in the Washington Post.  I'm glad I did those things before deciding to go see it.  First of all, I don't want to sit through a movie three hours long.  Second, the review in the Post discussed the n-word used throughout.  After that, I decided to skip seeing the movie.  

I've enjoyed a lot of QT's movies including "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown."  However, "Django Unchained" just left me feeling really uncomfortable and  made my left eye twitch.  It was then that I really began to wonder if QT really was racist, bigoted and misogynistic but disguising it as "creativity" in order to get away with it.  I just don't know.  However, what I do know is that I won't be seeing this movie.  

Also, I 'ave  never particularly liked Samuel L. Jackson.  There's just something about him.  Then when I saw "Django Unchained" I hated him.  He might call it "acting" but he seemed to enjoy that role a little too much.  I think that's who he is.  

• Love 1

I'm out as well. I thought his earlier works were much better.

I don't think all critics are hailing it. The one review I read was negative. If I can find the link I will post it.

• Love 1

I love QT, but I put this near the bottom of his canon. Sure, there were things to like about it, Walton Goggins was born to speak his dialogue and SLJ was SLJ, but there wasn't one likable character in the movie. (Well there was, but to thanks to QT's usual manipulations with linear narrative, they all died before the movie started.)

The dialogue was interesting and there were some provocative conversations, but I didn't love it. There were things to enjoy (Channing Tatum's surprise appearance and seeing the actor continue on his quest to play all The Village People. With Hail Caesar, only the Indian is left.) But overall, unless you're a hardcore QT fan, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Love 1

I just saw this in 70mm. First off, I really dug the whole roadshow presentation of it, and hope other films go this route. For what it's worth, every indication I got was that it was doing extremely well. The early afternoon screening was sold out so I had to get a ticket for the later screening, and I got there half an hour ahead and was behind a very long line. In some sense this is paving ground should another filmmaker decide to do this. Though there have been many problems with the 70mm presentation, it went well at my screening  (although they didn't screen it in the largest theater... Star Wars was there, of course). Still some of the problems could be corrected should other films decide to go this route.

That, quite honestly, was the single best aspect of it, though I thought the film was decent. I've enjoyed most of Tarantino's films but the two prior to this I didn't care for too much. I'd say this was better but not on the level of his first five films. I guess I'm finding his work increasingly hollow and this didn't buck the trend, but still, there was a lot to enjoy. Aside from the 70mm presentation the next highlight was the Ennio Morricone music... it was classic Morricone and that's always a joy. He's one of the few composers I'd watch a film just because he worked on it. Between that and the 70mm I felt inclined to overlook the flaws more the prior two films... but all three have the same problem... in that they stew in ugly subject matter in a way that doesn't seem interested in bringing perspective to any of it... they seem to stew in ugliness for the sake of stewing in it. The feeling for me is emotionally hollow and the ugliness is not particularly entertaining. But at least in was in glorious 70mm and scored by Morricone! Seriously, that counts for a lot.

• Love 2

I saw some reviews discussing it on TV and I read a review in the Washington Post. I'm glad I did those things before deciding to go see it. First of all, I don't want to sit through a movie three hours long. Second, the review in the Post discussed the n-word used throughout. After that, I decided to skip seeing the movie.

I've enjoyed a lot of QT's movies including "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown." However, "Django Unchained" just left me feeling really uncomfortable and made my left eye twitch. It was then that I really began to wonder if QT really was racist, bigoted and misogynistic but disguising it as "creativity" in order to get away with it. I just don't know. However, what I do know is that I won't be seeing this movie.

Also, I 'ave never particularly liked Samuel L. Jackson. There's just something about him. Then when I saw "Django Unchained" I hated him. He might call it "acting" but he seemed to enjoy that role a little too much. I think that's who he is.

Sam Jackson a self hating uncle Tom? Nah, I'm not a huge fan, but I don't get that impression from him at all.

I saw Hateful 8, and while its not QT's best, and the gratuitous usage of the N word, and other sexist terms bothered me. Greatly! I thought that the story was very interesting. It kept me wondering who killed who and so. Sam Jackson wasn't bad in this role, I did hope that he wouldn't be killed. I looked for Channing throughout the movie, and was kind of shocked when he did appear.

Then again, I liked Django, and Inglorious Basterds...so what do I know?

7/10

I enjoyed it a lot.  Not his best effort but far from his worst.  I didn't have the mystery figured out so I give it credit for keeping me guessing.  And a big surprise at the turn around I felt for Chris Mannox.  I spent most of the movie hoping that he'd die but by the end I was rooting for him.  I was at a sold out show by myself sitting next to an elderly gentlemen (who was also by himself) and the scene before the intermission was just a tad awkward lol.  

Tim Roth seemed to be having an absolute blast.  He was fun to watch.  Sam Jackson was great as usual.  He just really commands the screen when he's working with Tarantino.  I'm always glued to him.  Is that really what Michael Madsen sounds like now?  Jeez.  I know he drinks but his voice sounds so scratchy now.  It used to sound smooth.  

And it really didn't feel like 3 hours to me.  The first bits kind of dragged but once they got to the cabin and all the players were introduced, the movie flew by for me.

Sam Jackson a self hating uncle Tom? Nah, I'm not a huge fan, but I don't get that impression from him at all.

Agreed.  Really not sure where that idea is coming from.  It was a character.  He's not an assassin or the head of SHIELD either.

• Love 1

I don't get self hating Uncle Tom out of this portrayal, or this character.  Did I see a different movie?

I really liked Walton Goggins, he was my favorite character, mainly because his was the only character development.  Still, everybody did a good job, though Demian Bichir's Tio Taco accent bugged me almost as much as the excessive use of the N word.

I didn't feel three hours, I actually enjoyed it.  And a couple of the songs were great.  I really liked the "Now You're All Alone" and the Roy Orbison song at the end.  And did I hear Morricone rip off something from "The Exorcist" in there?

But brutal.  Man, brutal.

• Love 1

And did I hear Morricone rip off something from "The Exorcist" in there?

I've listened to the soundtrack and didn't hear anything that sounded like anything from The Exorcist.  The Exorcist BTW didn't feature any original music... the main theme music associated with the movie is Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield... There's maybe some moments that use the same instruments if that is considered a "rip off".

Edited by Ronin Jackson

I don't get self hating Uncle Tom out of this portrayal, or this character.  Did I see a different movie?

I really liked Walton Goggins, he was my favorite character, mainly because his was the only character development.  Still, everybody did a good job, though Demian Bichir's Tio Taco accent bugged me almost as much as the excessive use of the N word.

I didn't feel three hours, I actually enjoyed it.  And a couple of the songs were great.  I really liked the "Now You're All Alone" and the Roy Orbison song at the end.  And did I hear Morricone rip off something from "The Exorcist" in there?

But brutal.  Man, brutal.

You must have seen the same movie I did, because if anything Marquis was the hatefulest of the eight, despite

getting his nuts shot off, and that doesn't happen until the movie is close to over.

May I also say, kudos to Jennifer Jason Leigh, who spends most of the action-related part of the movie looking like she just escaped from the set of Carrie.

Against what passes for my better judgment, I was hoping Daisy would survive, since during the confrontation she was the only one that didn't kill someone.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer

Another similar example is General Smithers, who is obviously a racist, seems quite comfortable patronizing Minnie's. It makes one question what Tarantino's motivation is with so many of his characters being racist. It seems they are only racist when it's convenient, and it's convenient when Tarantino can use racism to push buttons. I don't think Tarantino has ever been motivated by anything other than that. He just wants to get a rise out of people.

• Love 2

I am a huge Tarantino fan, so the fact that I really liked this movie came as no surprise to me. 

Not my favorite of his films (Inglouious Bastards is still my number 1) but a really solid entry into his filmography. Tarantino gets, to me, such great performances out of people, and he gives his characters, even the minor ones, so much life and history, that I can just watch them sit around and talk about nothing for hours. Which is, basically, how most of this movie goes. Surprisingly, Chris Mannox probably was my favorite character in the movie, considering I was pegging him as the "first dumbass to die" early on. 

So Tim Roths characters real name was Hicox, which I am assuming is a reference to Archie Hicox, the character Michael Fassbender played in Inglouious Bastards, which presumably ties this movie into the Tarantino verse. 

So Tim Roths characters real name was Hicox, which I am assuming is a reference to Archie Hicox, the character Michael Fassbender played in Inglouious Bastards, which presumably ties this movie into the Tarantino verse.

Interesting, since both characters were English.

• Love 1

Another similar example is General Smithers, who is obviously a racist, seems quite comfortable patronizing Minnie's. It makes one question what Tarantino's motivation is with so many of his characters being racist. It seems they are only racist when it's convenient, and it's convenient when Tarantino can use racism to push buttons. I don't think Tarantino has ever been motivated by anything other than that. He just wants to get a rise out of people.

The whole flashback sequence is OTT cheery before the gang kills everybody, I thought.

I liked it, on the whole, though compared to his last few movies I didn't think there was all that much going on beneath the surface. But Tarantino doing a bloody genre film is still entertaining.

Probably at the bottom of my favorite Quentin Tarantino films, but it still had it's moments.  Screenplay was a bit more hit or miss at times, but no one can quite write dialogue like Tarantino can.  That said, I did feel like he was going overboard with the slurs and offensive remarks, and it felt more like he was going for shock value this time, which was disappointing.

Acting was pretty fantastic as I figured it would be.  Jennifer Jason Leigh lived up to all the awards hype (and I'm glad Quentin for an actress like here, instead of some of the other rumored choices), but I think my favorite was actually Walton Goggins.  Granted, part of it is just I'm a huge fan of Goggins after The Shield and Justified and want him to breakout big time, but I thought he commanded the screen whenever he spoke, and more then held his own opposite some of the "bigger" names like Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, and Bruce Dern.  I hope this leads to bigger things for him.

I did feel like some of the other characters didn't get enough moments.  In particular, Michael Madsen seemed to almost be window dressing, and there wasn't enough of Tim Roth.  Really wanted more Oswaldo.

The biggest offense wasn't even the film itself, but of the recent TV spots that stupidly spoiled that Channing Tatum was going to crash the party, so I knew he was going to pop up at some point.  Still, his appearance was fun and kind of smart.  For Tatum fans, it's an opportunity to watch him play a different character and try something new.  For Tatum haters, well, you get to watch his brains get splatted all over the place by Samuel L. Jackson's hands (or pistol.) 

Figured there would be one death of a big character that would be earlier then expected, so John Ruth getting poisoned wasn't too shocking.  Was surprised Daisy actually died.  I figured it was going to be some kind of "she ends up being the lone survivor" thing, which seems like the kind of irony Quentin would go for.

Kind of surprised it is under-performing at the box office.  Tarantino has been on a solid streak before this, so I don't know what happened.  Did Star Wars domination just make it hard for anyone else to make an impact?  Or was it just not as accessible as his last two?  Granted, with Tarantino, his films are always going to be extreme, but Inglorious Basterds and even Django Unchained had easily understandable good guys and bad guys.  Here, everyone was, well, hateful.  Hell, in the final showdown, it dawned on me that one side consisted of an extreme racist and a guy who gleefully forced someone to give him a blowjob (and then killed him), and yet, I'm pretty sure they were actually suppose to be on the right side of things, according to Quentin.

One thing that sort of mildly bugged me was, if Minnie hated Mexicans, why did she not say anything about Bob coming in?

Pretty sure that's because Minnie didn't hate Mexicans. That was just a ruse that Marquis played on Bob to get him to reveal that he was lying. He didn't go for it.

• Love 1

Honestly, they could have trimmed a good 30 to 45 minutes from this movie and it would have been better.

I wish they had gone with Domergue surviving to end as the irony, but I guess he wanted the imagery of the good ol' Southern Boy and the black guy laughing and kind of comforting each other at their end?

Anyway, there's something awesome about watching a 50-year old woman with a natural face getting to be in a big role in a Hollywood movie and getting an Oscar nomination out of it. They could have easily cast a 25-year old to play this part, especially with Channing Tatum playing her brother, but I loved that they went with an older woman. Her lined, naturally aged face really added a lot to her reaction shots.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
Another similar example is General Smithers, who is obviously a racist, seems quite comfortable patronizing Minnie's. It makes one question what Tarantino's motivation is with so many of his characters being racist. It seems they are only racist when it's convenient, and it's convenient when Tarantino can use racism to push buttons.

Not too hard to understand--it's a stagecoach stop (not a haberdashery) in the middle of nowhere.  Presumably, he got there by stagecoach.  It's also the middle of winter, and a place to get in out of the cold.  I would think that he would have a bigger problem with the interracial relationship between Minnie and Sweet Dave, but once again--middle of nowhere, middle of winter.

Outside of Minnie and her employees, the only non-hateful member of the later group seemed to be O.B.

• Love 1

Really liked the first two thirds of the movie. It did such a good job of building the tension and raising the mystery. The single room set up was incredibly well shot in the large format. Some amazing shots where the focus was on someone in the middle ground, but other characters were still acting silently in the foreground and background. The dialogue really kept me rapt, even if there wasn't a lot of action.

Unfortunately I thought Tarantino couldn't get out of his own way, and the flashback was overly long, and he needed his big bloody finale. It was vintage Tarantino, but it didn't pay off as well given how good the rest of the movie was.

Smithers to me seemed like a man who had accepted the result of the Civil War and was more ready to move on with his life. It comes off as selective racism given his reaction and dialogue with Warren. However he seems to be reacting as much to the fact that Walton is wearing the uniform while Black, as he is just to the fact that he's Black. He specifically mentions the uniform. I'm unsure whether this means he has his own suspicions that this is Warren, who his son has gone to kill, or if the combination is enough to evoke his previous memories. Both his nonchalant attitude toward's Minnie, and his wondering gaze at Warren when Warren mentions that he knows what came of his son demonstrate to me that he's not fully blinded by race issues.

• Love 1

Pretty sure that's because Minnie didn't hate Mexicans. That was just a ruse that Marquis played on Bob to get him to reveal that he was lying. He didn't go for it.

Well, then what set off his suspicions in the first place?  He seemed to immediately know that Bob was lying and he was certain by the time he killed him.

• Love 1

We got halfway through it, and dad had to go to bed. He didn't finish watching it last night, and I don't know if he wants to. 

I was curious as to how it would end, but hated the constant use of the "n" word, and seeing Jennifer Jason Leigh get smacked around. I'm not a fan of Quentin Tarantino,  but the trailer had interested me. 

• Love 1

The wannabee museum professional in me is outraged. Oh, well.

On the other hand, what the HELL was that museum thinking? Geez.

I'm not exactly a museum professional (though I've worked in a museum in the past), but I also don't find it particularly amusing. Honestly there was no reason a replica shouldn't have been used for every shot. The museum made a mistake but the mistake they made was trusting they weren't lending it to gigantic a-holes. Can't believe there are people out there who think that's an example of funny Tarantino hipster cool.

• Love 1