Type keyword(s) to search

An Interview With Finalist Arnold Myint

• Start Topic

I had the chance to chat with Arnold and send him the questions you, our forum members and loyal viewers, posted here. As busy as he is, he took the time to answer them and give us a better picture of who he is, and what he wants to do in the world of food.

When did you first develop a love of cooking?

I was raised in my family restaurant so I always loved food.  My grandmother was an incredible cook.  My fondest memory growing up was waking up to the smell of fried onions and potatoes that my father would use for a breakfast hash, usually with soft boiled eggs.  Exotic food was always around in my youth and I was encouraged to play with it.

What was the first meal you ever cooked?

Oh, I made my parent a Valentine’s Day Ramen Noodle Soup with Lettuce, Poached Egg and Red Food Coloring.  They ate it.

What was your first food-related job?

I worked at my parents’ place, International Market, from the time I could stand up.  My first real job was as at my friend’s bread and pastry shop “Provence Breads and Cafe”.  I fell in love with everything about this place, the food culture, the baking, the coffee.

Who's been the biggest influence on your style of cooking, and how?

Hmmmm, Jean Georges Vongerichten has been an inspiration for me since I can remember. His empire and culinary roots are elegant, exotic and effortless.  He has an incredible personal and professional style and has taught me so much. 

When did Suzy Wong come alive?

Suzy was created initially to promote my restaurant Suzy Wong’s House of Yum.  She performed on Halloween and hasn’t stopped entertaining since.

What's your biggest wish in life that you want to see come true?

I want to have a global brand that can help me give back to the community.  I want a non-profit focusing on children; nurturing their bodies, minds and souls through food, art and education.

What's your favorite food indulgence?

I LOVE HOT DOGS!!!!

What's the biggest cliche in the world of food that you wish would disappear?

You know... "It's me on a plate" or "It's elevated!"

The term “Foodie”  I cringe when I hear this. I don’t get it.

Describe what your dream cooking show would be about if you have one.

It’d be a “Hint of Myint”  a lifestyle guide to home entertaining.  I’d have guests on the show and would breakdown tips to party planning, cooking and hosting.  Suzy Wong would be my co-star.  My show wouldn't just be a recipe show, but a lifestyle show.  One that creates a stylish identity within everyone’s means.

What's one cooking utensil or gadget that you cannot live without?

My Chef knife. 

How did you go from figure skating to cooking, as it seems like a stretch (no pun intended).

I got to a point in my skating career where I was looking for my next “thing”.  I ended up in NYC and realized that from my years on tour, my journals were always about food, restaurants, markets, wine… Skating has influenced my hospitality approach.  Much like in a show, in my restaurants, I love the magic right before service (curtain call).  Everyone is in place, the lights go down, the music starts and guests arrive…boom, show time.

It seemed like Bobby Flay often commented that your flavors were a bit too refined/mild for his taste.  Was that just editing? If not, did you adjust your cooking to the judges' palates?

I cook how I like to eat.  I don’t think that my style is as aggressive as Bobby’s.  My flavors, presentation and finesse are a complete package.  I love Bobby’s food and I understand that he wants a punch every time.  Had I tweaked for the judges, I fear I’d lose myself in that process.  What kind of authority would I be If I veered from my style?

What were you expecting from this show that didn't happen? And what was the biggest surprise?
Also, it seemed like the cast got along, though this show doesn't emphasize backbiting to begin with (which is one of the things they do right in my opinion). Is that perception true, were there alliances, were there people who simply avoided each other, or what?

I am in love with Team Boys, Jay, Eddie, Alex, and I’m Dom’s number one Cheerleader. Also, Rosa and I are forever connected.

Did you feel like you had the opportunity to really cook the food you wanted to cook?
I cooked what I wanted to cook and how I cook.  Time was always a factor.  One thing that I wish was that I’d been able to share my point of view better.  Then again this is a Cook Host Competition not “I want to be the next Martha Stewart.” I feel that I cooked well.  If you look at all my food pictures from the show, one this can definitely be said — It’s consistently beautiful.

Among the established Food Network personalities you met and worked with on FNS, who was most helpful, and in what way?  Demaris and I had a great connection. I’d love to be on set with her and her team to learn and grow more.   It was also nice to see Chef Alex.  She taught me in school.  It was nice to get her progress report.

• Love 15

Thanks, that was really great. I particularly liked his response about Bobby Flay's take on his more subtle flavors and why he didn't adjust them.

You may not be able to answer this (and if so, ignore) but we're you able to ask or did he not answer the question about why we haven't seen Suzy Wong on FNS.

Edited by Gbb

What's your favorite food indulgence?

I LOVE HOT DOGS!!!!

What's the biggest cliche in the world of food that you wish would disappear?

You know... "It's me on a plate" or "It's elevated!"

I like Arnold so much more now.

• Love 8

I was basically going to quote the same thing, xaxat.  Arnold has a lot of wonderful answers in there though.

Had I tweaked for the judges, I fear I’d lose myself in that process.  What kind of authority would I be If I veered from my style?

I think this really showcases a flaw in the show.  They want someone with authority, but they also want someone to cook to the judges' palates.  I tend to like a punch with my food, but as long as there is strong flavor, I'm happy.  (I'm wondering if I have some kind of desensitized palate as people will say something is "strong" and I barely taste it.  Or maybe I just like more oomph.)

• Love 2

How wonderful!  What a genuine guy...  Arnold's a true star, Food Network or otherwise.  P.S., I really enjoyed the unfiltered quality of this interview; I wish there were more of this kind of direct access on FNS, rather than all the heavy production.  Many thanks to our host, cooksdelight!!

• Love 9

What a great guy, thanks for doing that CD.  Now I feel sorry that he isn't in the finale.  I hope FN finds a way to utilize him in the future, and perhaps Suzy too.

I loved how he said his inspiration is Jean Georges.  I have always loved Jean Georges myself and have eaten In 2 of his restaurants in NY a few times.

• Love 5

Cooksdelight, you deserve giant kudos for contacting Arnold and finding the answers to members' questions!  Not many mods, in my experience, would go to those lengths to make a thread so interesting.  We're all very lucky to have you at the helm.  I liked Arnold very much, so special thanks and a hug from me.

ETA: If anyone is interested, Arnold's website is fun and interesting.  You'll find him here:  http://www.arnoldmyint.com.  I love the clever picture of Arnold with Suzie Wong!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 13