Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Minute Changes

As Kiera works to free a college student caught in a police cover-up, her perspective on police behaviour is thrown into question. Carlos discovers Liber8's influence reaches right inside of VPD. Alec secures an unlikely ally.

Original Airdate: April 6, 2014

I thought this was an excellent episode!  I have to admit, I got a little worried about Carlos and the dead body going into creepy territory.   I liked how Kiera was spouting off about protecting the system in 2014 but we saw her in the future bucking the system.  I don't think it's necessarily hypocrisy more like selective memories.  So Alec Prime knows the deal with Alec 2 but he can still find out about Kiera 2...

I believe what we saw in the future was a different Kiera. In the present, she nearly always agrees with the most hardline approaches because she grew up in a corporate fascist oligarchy and believes in their "order or anarchy" position. But in this episode we see that the formation of the oligarchy seems to have been modified a bit, leading to a tradition within the police force of selective compliance with what they see as unjust orders. That was the purpose of the little speech about the history of police forces "freeing themselves". But part of the result is that Kiera's home timeline is gone. Yeah there's a Kiera, but she's not the same person.

I really enjoyed this episode.  Best one of S3 so far,imo.  I liked the focus on the political intrigue, as well as the philosophical underpinnings of everyone's beliefs being challenged.  The episode really explored a lot of different elements, and I thought it set up a strong conflict for Kiera as she begins to question the role she has in  'protecting the system' in order to protect the people.  For me, the real power of the series is in exploring Kiera's belief system, and whether she ends up gradually questioning her original values or  stays true to them, perhaps more cynically and more aware.

I really enjoyed that 2 Alecs scene far more than I thought i would. (I'm just going to call them Corporate Alec and Hoodie Alec so I can keep them straight) Strangely, I find myself torn between the two. It was sort of cool to see Corp. Alec grow in confidence during the episode.

I have to admit, I got a little worried about Carlos and the dead body going into creepy territory.

Yeah, me too. But then I've been worried about Carlos since he first saw Dead Keira. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

So now there really is a difference between the Alecs coming to a head.  Corporate Alec seems to be the one that arose in the original future, the one without love, creating the all powerful corporation, and having no qualms sending a mother back in time to secure his future.  But somehow, doing so changed things and created Hoodie Alec, who seems to growing in philosophy closer to his own brother, although likely on less violent terms. 

Took a couple episodes to get me interested in the story again, but its getting better.

Thank you for all those who came up with Corporate Alec and hoodie Alec. I was losing my mind. Did anyone else find the snitch, forget her name annoying? Especially her voice? 

Do you mean Betty? I like Betty but I don't find her voice at all annoying.

Thank you for all those who came up with Corporate Alec and hoodie Alec. I was losing my mind. Did anyone else find the snitch, forget her name annoying? Especially her voice?

I was thinking the same thing and was about to change the Alec 1.0 and 2.0 designations on the Who Killed Kiera thread, but then...I stopped. Are we really sure which one will/would become the supporter of the corporations? I can just as easily imagine Corporate Alec getting disillusioned and walking out. And hoodie Alec might think it's in the best interest of the end game to go corporate. Edited by shapeshifter

Do you mean Betty? I like Betty but I don't find her voice at all annoying.

Yes Betty, her voice has bugged me from the beginning. 

What about the Alec from the future, the one who does not like who he is, and wants to change things. I guess he did not count on there being 2 Alecs? 

Yes Betty, her voice has bugged me from the beginning. 

What about the Alec from the future, the one who does not like who he is, and wants to change things. I guess he did not count on there being 2 Alecs? 

I think that the Alec that time traveled pretty much realized that he created two of himself when he saw our Kiera, the one that also got a deal with the Freelancers, standing in front of him and the other Kiera dead, with a gun shoot wound in her head. As with the two Alecs, I have heard that Simon Barry (Continuum's creator) had named the Kiera and Alec, that both time traveled a week back, as the Red Kiera and Red Alec. And that the other two (the other Kiera and other Alec) he calls, the Green Kiera (which is now dead) and the Green Alec to separate them.

(edited)

As with the two Alecs, I have heard that Simon Barry (Continuum's creator) had named the Kiera and Alec, that both time traveled a week back, as the Red Kiera and Red Alec. And that the other two (the other Kiera and other Alec) he calls, the Green Kiera (which is now dead) and the Green Alec to separate them.

After Fringe's colored multiverses? Or not related? Edited by shapeshifter

After Fringe's colored multiverses? Or not related?

I guess it's not related. I just read that off on the Wikipedia page (okay, it didn't say that Barry called them "Red" Kiera or "Red Alec":

• Green Alec" = Alec that didn't travel through time and is now in control of Piron.
  • "Red Alec" = Alec who travelled back a week, creating the alternate timeline and is now imprisoned in the Freelancer Base.
  • "Green Kiera" = Kiera who came into being with the new timeline who was shot and killed in Alec's lab.
  • "Red Kiera" = Kiera who travelled back a week and is currently alive

So, it seems I was mistaken about the Alecs and the one who btrayed Keira might not be the one we see in the future. He probably needed that betrayal and dealing with his actions to realize the changes he needed to make for himself. Or maybe Alec just has that ability to be selfish as an innate part of him and either of them would become older Alec and the changed future was only a result of there being two of them.

I'm sorry Carlos but I fail to see how not having the security of getting a job after college merits supporting a terrorist organization that has already killed thousands. Maybe you need to spend a little less time with Keira's lifeless body.

I want to know the depht of Betty's involvement with Liber8. She seems to still care about Carlos at least. I don't know how badly she'd throw Keira under the bus though.

Dillon must remember Keira brought Alec with her to the station, I feel like he should suspect something more about her at this point.

Keira is so alone right now, what with losing her trust in Alec and Carlos' trust in her.

So, it seems I was mistaken about the Alecs and the one who btrayed Keira might not be the one we see in the future. He probably needed that betrayal and dealing with his actions to realize the changes he needed to make for himself. Or maybe Alec just has that ability to be selfish as an innate part of him and either of them would become older Alec and the changed future was only a result of there being two of them.

I'm sorry Carlos but I fail to see how not having the security of getting a job after college merits supporting a terrorist organization that has already killed thousands. Maybe you need to spend a little less time with Keira's lifeless body.

I want to know the depht of Betty's involvement with Liber8. She seems to still care about Carlos at least. I don't know how badly she'd throw Keira under the bus though.

Dillon must remember Keira brought Alec with her to the station, I feel like he should suspect something more about her at this point.

Keira is so alone right now, what with losing her trust in Alec and Carlos' trust in her.